Data roaming and cellular data off but billed for two 24-hour Roam-On periods

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Data roaming and cellular data off but billed for two 24-hour Roam-On periods

Hi.

A couple of bills ago I noticed two $10.00 Roam-On charges from my April trip to Europe. Because I didn’t know about your Roam-On service in Europe, I had both my data roaming and my cellular data turned off. 

On April 15 and April 16 I made two short local phone calls to a taxi company in France (within a 24-hour period), expecting to be billed $2.00 for each call. Instead I was billed $20.00 for two 24-hour periods of Roam-On.

Please explain why I was billed $20 when my data roaming and my cellular data was off.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Data roaming and cellular data off but billed for two 24-hour Roam-On periods

Thanks for this reply.

What I am learining is that, once siged up for 'Roam On', I am committed to spending $10 to send one text message or make one call while in Europe, or $5 in the US. Gone is my $0.75 text message or $2.00 call. 

At first I thought 'Roam On' was an excellent offer but I see that Rogers has removed that option. 

I will now be sure to package my usages to specific 24-hour periods while traveling.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Data roaming and cellular data off but billed for two 24-hour Roam-On periods

Welcome to the Community @beejum

Roam Like Home Europe costs 10$ a day with a max charge of 10 days. The charge is activated when you make a call/text or use data within a 24 hour period.

As you are under Roam like Home, you would not be eligible for pay per use charges.

In regards to being billed twice within a 24 hour period, we will need to have a look at your account to determine how this happened. I will have a member from the @CommunityHelps team reach out you via Private Message.

To access your inbox on the Community Forums, click the envelope in top right corner.

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

With both my cellular data and data roaming turned off, it would seem that the 'Roam On' conditions aren't being met and therefore don't apply. Please confirm.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@beejum

Turning off "cellular data" and "data roaming" only shuts off data connections.

If your phone is ON, you will be connected to the Voice/Text portion of the Cell Tower. Since the tower is in Europe you are still roaming. When you make a call or text and are connected to the Voice/Text portion of the Cell Tower a trigger is sent to our billing system to indicate your calls and texts will fall under "Roam Like Home" thus the daily charge is activated.

Also as this a public forum, I don't have direct access to your account. I wouldn't be able to confirm the fine details pertaining to your account.

The @CommunityHelps team has sent you a Private Message but did not receive a response. If you would like assistance with your account feel free to Private Message them back. Let me know if you are having any issues getting in touch with them.

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for this reply.

What I am learining is that, once siged up for 'Roam On', I am committed to spending $10 to send one text message or make one call while in Europe, or $5 in the US. Gone is my $0.75 text message or $2.00 call. 

At first I thought 'Roam On' was an excellent offer but I see that Rogers has removed that option. 

I will now be sure to package my usages to specific 24-hour periods while traveling.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

No problem @beejum

ROAM LIKE HOME is intended to break down barriers so you can use your phone more while roaming in the US/Europe. All of this at a fraction of the cost.

If you only intend to make one call during your trip, I can understand your point of view. As that one call can be less then the daily charge.

You are more then welcome to opt-out of ROAM LIKE HOME should you find it better suited for your current situation. This will place your calls under the "pay per use" category.

Hope this information has been helpfulSmiley Happy

RogersAsif