Data Usage!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ycdejong
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Data Usage!

How do I know which apps are running in the background during sleep mode? I always close each app after using. When I see wifi has no signal when using an app I stop using it. Also the tracking data portion in My Roger's account isn't tracking the data for each phone.
lolalored
I've Been Around

same thing for us..my husband and i share a cell phone plan and used to have 2GB we shared BETWEEN us..and we never went over..then when he startes trucking it went to almost 10GB..ok understandable since he is no where near wifi..so we called rogers and switched our plan to 10 GB..
well he used about 10-12 GB on when in the road...
but then when he stopped trucking and started a new mechanic job he had wifi at work and at home..so he should not be using almost any GB..but then it went up to 40 GB or 50GB..i couldnt belirve what i saw..i called rogers to tell them its a mistake and they kept coming up with excuses like he turned off his wifi or he has extra stuff open or that the wifi had a bad conection to his phone or when he was driving from one place to another that it would use data...but it wasnt the case..even when he was trucking and no wifi around him at all and he watched alot of youtube videos it never went up THAT high..now your tellig me the wifi connection is so bad that it uses up that much data...nope not buying it..but they wont do anything about it!

User1662310
I've Been Around

Why does Roger show roughly double the mobile data usage than my Android phone does?

Why does Roger show roughly double the mobile data usage than my Android phone does OR any other third party apps for that matter?

Why does the phone think it's using 500mb when Rogers claims it is using 1gb? I've tried several independant third party apps and they all show similar levels as my LG G4 phone. 

Is there a 3rd party app Rogers feels is tracking data used accurately or does Rogers simply want me to trust that their numbers are correct and my phone and all apps are only tracking half the actual data used for some reason?

I've rulled out texting as being a contributor.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

C

RogersCorey

Hi @User1662310!

Welcome to our Community Forums 🙂

It's important to ensure that any third party usage trackers are aligned with your billing period. Many of them default to using the 1st of the month as the reset while your billing period can potentially reset on any given day of the month.

If your third party usage trackers still show a major descrepancy while aligned to your billing period, then we can launch an internal investigation to look into it further.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps if you require additional assistance in this matter. Thanks!

RogersCorey

foodtech46
I Plan to Stick Around

New Galaxy A5 - Mobile Data Useless

I got a new Samsung Galaxy A5 on Saturday in the Rogers Carleton Place shop. When I got home I connected successfully to my wireless LAN. The phone then needed a system update and 30 app updates which it did using not my wifi but the mobile data. I chewed through 1.07 GB in one sitting and got a $50 overage charge to boot. After an hour on the phone with billing technical and a couple of supervisors I got the charge reversed but I now have no mobile data left for a month. I am convinced that a smartphone is just useless aside from talk and text. I am very unhappy with Rogers and I have been a customer since 1991 - back when they were Cantel.

RogersZia

Hello @foodtech46.

Welcome to the Community Robot Happy!

From what you've shared, looks like it's your first foray in to the world of smartphones.  I hope it gets better for you. Did you already have WiFi set up before you updated your phone?  When does your billing cycle reset? This could just be a one time thing, it's always recommend to have WiFi connected when updating software or downloading multiple apps. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to turn the experience around for you :). 

RogersZia

foodtech46
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes of course I had wifi set up before anything else. I am a retired scientist/IT guy. I have had Android tablets for years too - with wifi *not* with mobile data. I have done many updates with wifi on Android.

My billing cycle resumes on September 8.

I think the problem started with the system update which may have turned off the wifi. Don't know. Smart switch was off and anyway there would be no problem with signal strength as the phone was about 4 meters away from a 1 GB CGNM-3552 rocket modem/gateway.

The phone has now gone off with my wife for the next few days. as it works OK for messages and phone calls.

Pardon my cynicism but I really feel that Rogers is using excess mobile data usage as a profit centre. It's to their benefit if customers screw up or the phone uses mobile instead of wifi. Our primary interest in the phone (at least my wife's primary interest - I hate the things) was to be able to message with a half decent keyboard.

As long as I can keep the mobile data under control and not have excess charges I'll be alright. Right now I'm not sure that is possible unless mobile data is switched off completely.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@foodtech46  I am glad you clarified your background and experience with your devices, as often I see people presented with an introduction like you just received that has no validity in terms of who you are and where you are coming from.

Good guess, but couldn't have been further off - what happened, to clarify what a person has said, ask questions, etc, to confirm not suggest that you are new to smartphones, which appears to be way off base.

But as to your question about data.

My wife has data, I don't.  She has gone in and set her data off completely.  She turns it on to receive a text picture or send one, or when she wants to use her small amount of data.

I don't have data at all, the reason why I didn't go on share anything, because she wanted data, I didn't, so we have two non-share plans, one with data, one without.

I too have watched updates change settings on my phone - I have an LG G4, and I have it set to automatically check for updates, but not to automatically update - I have to start it - I wait until I am on WIFI for that one, and turn off my cellular data and the celluar access (call me paranoid, but I have also pulled my sim card when I do this one).

The app updates are set to wifi only updates.

But that doesn't mean that settings can't get changed unknown to us - I know I have seen it - I have put shortcut on my wife's phone for her to click over to the turn network data off so she doesn't have to dig for it.

It has been a bit of a learning curve about data for her, and we are still learning.  We have been caught over the years with our phones doing things we didn't realize they could do, and it is a constant learning curve.

Best of luck at keeping your data usage down as best you can.  And congrats for putting forward the true representation of what kind of user you are.  You really do know what you are talking about and doing, as do I (I have a similiar background - reseracher, educator, IT guy and purhaser of telecom and IT services), so I do know what I am doing and no one knows how I feel in advance of what I have been through before I post, nor do they have a clue my background, although I think that after 2000 posts plus, most people here do know my backgrounds.

To conclude - I am at the position you are in - I don't trust that I can keep the mobile data fully under my control and not have excess charges in all domains of my services, so I remain a bit paranoid and for my wife, she turns her data off totally - me it doesn't matter, as I don't have data, but I have to be careful to turn it off when Roaming, because I get a 5.00 roam like home and 7.99 daily data pass if my phone touches the data network when roaming. So I know my costs, and what I have to do - I still go as far as just putting my phone in airplane mode and turn on my WIFI for use at WIFI hotspots.

Good description of your experience and how this technology can catch us by surprise, and yes, I agree that the companies take advantage of the overages (the reason why CRTC put limits in place was to avoid insane costs), in the same way, as I found accidental roaming in the past years could be extremely costly, and prior to unlimited texts and Canada calling, it was a challenge trying to avoid going over accidently, or knowing when you were doing long distance - lots of tools in place to help us, but when we make these errors, it costs us money, we learn and often in a sense, we buy insurance by paying for more service for every month than we would typically use.

Sorry it happened, I think we all have one of these stories.

Bruce

foodtech46
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bruce I posted a reply in the other thread on wireless plans and thanks for your advice. It is good to know that the "nuclear option" on data which I thought was a bit extreme (but little choice left when you are already over the limit by 110%.) is a viable solution.

I went back and complained at the store and they put a data limit on the phone which shuts it down after 500MB. I don't know if the phone will automatically switch mobile data back on next billing cycle or not. I'll have to be careful to check next month. I have discovered the data use option on the phone and it is now aligned with my billing cycle.

I still would like to find out the root cause for this mobile data glitch. My Samsung phone is set up to automatically update the apps via wifi but is says nothing about manual updates. Perhaps I was my own worst enemy by updating all the apps manually. Perhaps the system update stuffed my wifi. In any event I learned a valuable lesson, and after some complaining Rogers did give me credit for my excessive usage. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Ray

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@foodtech46  Not sure how that 500 Mb limit works - we had it previously, but when we changed our plans up slightly this past month due to a dead phone, we were told that the option was no longer available to us and we would have to monitor it ourselves (he first said using the data tool - which I had to remind him that it doesn't apply to non-share plans - so many of them don't know their services well).

So we previously had that option, but have never reached that limit, but supposedly not available to us anymore.  My understanding was that at the end of the pay cycle it automatically drops the block but still applies to come on month by month.   But having not experienced it, I only know what I was told, which these days, I wish it wasn't this way, I take with a grain of salt because I often hear different stories of how my services work depending upon who I talk to, but that is another story.

So may service stories we have - it never seems to end.  I just wish I could easily understand and manage my services and just use it as I choose pay the prices as I understand them with no surprises, and pay my bills.

But that unfortunately has not been my experience - it has been hit and miss for about the last 5 years across the board with all my services.

I hope the commitment to improving customer service is going to address some of this.

As for the technology and what happened, your guess is as good as mine.  Glad you got some resolution to your issue by following up with Rogers directly.  I will give them credit for that, often they do try to remediate issues due to miscommunication, or unexpected things that no one can explain.

All the best and hope future months are event free.

Bruce