cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Overages

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

What are the overage data rate when you go over your data plan ?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Data Overages

every plan is different, so its hard to say.

Some are based on a per MB rate.. so could be something like 20c / mb

Some others, are more on a flat rate scale.. $15 for anything between 1kb over to a whole extra BG (with those, you may as well USE the extra usage then).'

As meowmix said, best to call in and ask.

View solution in original post

111 REPLIES 111

Data Overages

sandrov
I've Been Around

Anyone know what the charges are for using more data then your plan allows?

Data Overages

Chrystiality
I Plan to Stick Around

Depends on your data plan.

If it's 100MB, then overage will cost you $10/100MB over (so, go 2MB over, pay $10).

If you have a GB+, then overage is $10/1GB (again, go over by 2MB, pay $10).

There is no lower pay scale... it's tiered, so over x, pay $10. Over by 2x, pay $20...

Data Overages

coffeenut1992
I've Been Here Awhile

I just checked my account, and am currently 308MB over on my 500MB iPhone plan. Can anyone please help me figure out how much this will cost me? I'm currently on sick leave and REALLY can't afford a huge bill this month. 

Data Overages

I beleive it will varry by plan.. there is usualy a $ per mb cost.

The current plans, is 2 cents per mb over... older plans, could be different.

Data Overages

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello coffeenut1992

I would suggest contact Rogers & asking the rep this question. I know its $5 for another 500MB when you go over but i am not sure, on my case this is how it is

Data Overages

coffeenut1992
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks 🙂

Data Overages

We have 1 GB to share but this month has gone over...less than 50MB What can I expect on my bill and what is the rate per MB

Data Overages

Re: Data Overages

Each plan, has its own rate overage.

They JUST changed the plans on the website.. so i cant even look at the LAST listings to see 😞

But at least going by whats on the site there.. it shows $15/1gb... and 2cents / mb over that..
Now.. i am not sure HOW the overages work currently (truthfully, never gone over mine).
Not sure if its anything between 1mb and 1gb over, is $15 no matter what..or is it pro rated?
Might be worth a call in and inquire, as the website is not overyly clear.
If it is the full $15. heck, i would use as much of that extra 1g as i could

Data Overages

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hockey821

It depends on the data plan u have. Best thing to do, is contact Rogers and have the rep tell u what it is or go on the website and see if it will tell u.

Data Overages

icedog95
I'm Here A Lot

Yes please tell us your plan maybe I can tell u?

Data Overages

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it's not my plan that went over but he has 200MB of data a month.. He used as of today 263 total. So 63MB over..

Data Overages

every plan is different, so its hard to say.

Some are based on a per MB rate.. so could be something like 20c / mb

Some others, are more on a flat rate scale.. $15 for anything between 1kb over to a whole extra BG (with those, you may as well USE the extra usage then).'

As meowmix said, best to call in and ask.

Data Overages

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

I called and found it. It's 0.05MB after.

Data Overages

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hockey821

There you go. Seeing as you called in & got the answer, this " person" can not calculate & see how much they will owe Rogers for going over their data.

Data Overages

kayla_rideoutx
I've Been Here Awhile

Just purchased the phone less then a week ago and within two days I was over halfway through my data plan. I was set up with a 500mb plan, I just want to know how much it's going to cost me per mb used past the 500. Right now I'm 50mb over and terrified to see what my bill is going to be.

Data Overages

I am guessing with a new phone.. and new plan, your on the NEWER 500mb one...
Those ones, are $15, for up to 1g extra of data.. so anything between that 50mb and 1g, would only be an aditional $15.

Bigest thing now, is to figure out your USAGE.. and if that plan will suit you or not.

(or change your usage patterns)

What have you been doing on the phone?

What programs?  Have you been watching videos?

Do you have it connected to wifi (say at home, work,etc) whenever you can?

At least, there is no lock down on plans.. you can freely switch to one with more GB, with no penalty.

Data Overages

Just instagram and facebook. My old phone had two mb and that lasted me a heck of a lot longer then what I have now. I don't watch any sort of videos on the phone because I know they'd eat up data like crazy. It's always connected to wifi when possible.

Data Overages

Instagram and facebook, while yes should not use up as much as video.. if its very IMAGE heavy, they can add up in the end.

Which phone did you have before?  Some like the older blackberry use data very differently.

Data Overages

There are many factors that can contribute to data overage on your bill.  Here are some tips on how to prevent data overage with almost any device:  Download the user guide to your computer. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your settings.

• Wi-Fi: Turn off data to prevent the Rogers network having the stronger signal than WIFI. Use Wi-Fi whenever possible to help reduce your data charges. Note: Some apps require the security of the rogers network and will not work through WIFI.
  • Streaming: Media/Video streaming has a huge impact on your data usage. Limit what you are streaming on your device.  Another option is to turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection. 

• Online Gaming: Playing game that requires a constant data connection (e.g. RPG, MMO, etc) can impact your data usage for the month. To determine if a game is using data Step 1 Turn off cell data but leave WIFI on  An error will tell you it is probably using Rogers data and will not work through WIFI. Step 2 Now turn off wifi and cell data. If you get an error the program is using data but will work through WIFI.  Recommended you turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection if possible.

• Downloading Apps & updates: All programs do regular updates (usually while the phone is not in use) & some can be quite large. It is worth while to check settings for updates, some you can change others you cannot but it is worth taking the time to find out. Also if you like to download Apps a lot, then this can contribute to data overage as well. You can try downloading/updating your Apps via Wi-Fi (with data turned off) or through your computer & appropriate desktop program.

• Apps that use data; There are many Apps that use data to update their programming, or update current information. Be careful to read the stipulations of the any Apps you download. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others frequently update posts while the amounts may be small they can add up especially posts that include pictures or other media files. Read and change notification settings (time consuming but worth it)  for the above programs to reduce the amount of posts or funny pictures sent to your phone via these programs. They use data even if you don't view them. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your notification settings.

• Programs running in the background: Most devices allow you to turn off the applications running in the background.  You can shut these applications down in settings usually found in "Running programs".

• Turn off GPS: GPS is a very useful tool to have on your Smartphone. GPS uses a huge amount of battery life . It is always advisable to turn this off when not in use. GPS also uses up a huge amount of data if use wireless networks is enabled and when downloading maps for a new location or during an update. Option 1 turn GPS off. Option 2  Turn off use wireless networks (WIFI & cell towers)
  • Tethering (Personal Hotspot): This feature allows you to share your Android cellular data connection with other devices. (e.g. Computer, Tablets, etc.) Limiting your use of tethering can help to prevent data overage.

Topic Stats