Data Overage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Data Overage

I am on My Rogers to try to find out more about this exact same situation. Thank you for putting this out there. I have three numbers on my account and my 15 GB is just a good plan for me. Myself and my two Daughters came close to using 9 GB once and as it turns out it was something my Daughter's new I phone was doing that she was not aware of.  Rogers was quick to assist us with that and offered the 15 GB for a package that I couldn't pass up because it was a really good deal available at the time.  Our data usage did not change, perhaps a bit low some months, bit higher other months, but this month I received a text message that my account was over the 15!! I have been with Rogers, same phone number since 1992. I called Rogers right away, and I'm pretty sure the notes on my account would be a novel if they were printed. For sure not all complaints, I participate in all feedback and call to advise Rogers of good service as well as service issues to be addressed.  I informed the representative that I am totally aware of the usage on my account and I can read my usage, billing, even pro-rated adjusted bills extremely well. I have even informed/taught reps some things they were not aware of! I'm not kidding. I was not impressed with the representative questioning my Daughters ages and, I'm not exagerating, chuckled as he told me in kind of a question form.."do you think they are really not using more data than they say they do?" I mustered up a "I beg your pardon" as politely as I could manage. He went on to say that he found it very hard to believe that my Daughters wouldn't use close to 15GB with both of them having an Iphone 5.  It was at this point that I decided to inform him that I would call at an earlier time in the day tomorrow to speak to the retention department Manager.  I feel like requesting they pull up this most recent "recorded telephone call" and listen for themselves. I have been in customer service with a large corporation for 31 years and I cannot accept the service I received this evening. I have extended and stretched my forgiveness rope to the very end. It is time, I'm afraid, to express my gratitude for the years of service. Albeit good, bad, frustrating at times, confusing, complicated, and at the same time, thankfully, available to me....at a price mind you. I must move on to a company committed to providing customer satisfaction rather than spend so much time and resources trying desperately to constantly IMPROVE. I just don't think it's working.

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Data Overage

Hi @lwojcik and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear about your recent customer service experience. Smiley Sad

Was there any resolution given regarding your data overage? Or any further information on how to help going forward? If not I would like to take a look at your account and assist in any way possible.

Let me know and I will have someone from our Community Helps reach out to you via PM.

Thank you!

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Data Overage

I would absolutely love that. I am at work and I did not call yet because I was going to search and prepare a monthly list of the data usage with specific dates first. I have brought my Rogers file folder with me and it is interesting to note that since I recently, with much, much hesitation, decided to change my original plan that I kept grandfathered in on purpose, I have had more unpleasant transactions than beneficial. I'd love to have some assistance. There is an MTS representative calling me back after my lunch hour to look at my other options. Let me know what you need to take a look at my account. I would appreciate any assistance with this. Thanks for the reply.
Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @lwojcik , Sounds fair enough.

I (We) do not want to lose your business, especially for a situation that I am confident can be fixed. I will have someone reach out to you via PM.

Please check your message envelope in the top right of your screen.

Thank you!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Now please dont take this as BLAMING your kids.. i am not meaning it that way.

But have you then asked what they are using/doing? 

They may be inadvertintly using more data than they think they are, completely by accident.

Such things as using 1 hour of youtube.. the difference of viewing standard definition video vs HD video... can be the difference of 200mb to 1gb of usage.

A co worker here last summer (or may have been the one before) her kids kept going OVER their 80/month on the internet at home.  She questioned it.. and even went to the extent of installing monitoring software, etc.  90% of the usage? Was just them continually watching youtube all day Smiley Sad

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have got into the habit of checking my usage on the rogers app and track it on my phone if not every day then every few days... In addition to that I ALWAYS TURN data off when using WiFi... 

I have only once ever exceed the 500 mb i have... (now i have upgraded to 1g due to having a iphone) 

Its not up to your provider to keep track of what you are doing... it's up to us to watch over are self's and track what we do...  Down load the rogers app it take 2 minutes to check you usage or logon to myrogers.com and view it there... 

In the end the providers are there to make money and data overage is one of those ways... As per previously  mentioned they do have alerts 75% 100% etc... as well there is a 50.00 alert if you dont have it already you can call and have a option added that once you hit 50.00 of data overage a msg(text) is sent asking if you want to continue to use data - if U opt to not allow more data usage it will block it to the end of your cycle.... 

Its not fair to blame the provider for providing the service you use... But I can certainly understand the frustrations Smiley Mad in having extra charges for usage...  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Playing streaming music or listening to a radio station all day will do it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your thoughts, i appreciate it, however, my daughters are 20 and 24 years of age and i actually would not have brought this forward had i not explored every other possibility.  Thank you though.

I've Been Around

Hello Rogers moderators,

I have a shared everything plan for 6 gb of data and when I look at my account online it shows that I still have 1.29 gb left to use until Sept.2 (the date of billing cycle), but when I look into the account overview it shows as if I am over the data limit. It is very confusing, because it doesn't show you when that information was updated. What is the charge for extra data anyways? One can't find that information in the account online. I have been overcharged by rogers wrongfully for 10 yrs now and every time it takes hours spent on the phone with managers that aren't ever present in the call centres. I would appreciate a straight forward answer and maybe that new website for billing can be imroved to show the customers a current usage on their services when they access their account online. Thanks, aol.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WHEN the site it working correctly..  the usage usually is up to date, at least in my experience.. as of the last 24 hours.
The data only polls at the end of the day.. so when you look today it will be as of midnight last night..

why you are getting two different #s is odd.

Maybe @CommunityHelps can give a hand at looking at it for you.

For the overages.. My wife is on an earlier share everything.. but i would guess the $ for overages is the same?  Its a flat rate when you go over for the next 1g at $15.  So if you use 6.1g or 6.9g its still the $15.  ( so if you do go over, your better to USE that rest up to 1g of usage then).
Unless its changed.