Data Overage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Data Overage

how can Rogers justify charging me 165 dollars for over usage of 200mb in data usage?  That goes against everything the CRTC passed recently.  I am challenging this charge and if it is not resolved, I will be contacting the CRTC

Good day @vickytee & @aol,

Welcome to the Forums and Thank you for your posts.

We apologize for the poor experience and we would like to look into this further! 

We certainly understand the inconveniences of this situation. Since this issue seems particular to your account, we would have to reach out to you via PM.

I’m going to send you both a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefuly they can get it resolved for you.

Just as an understanding though.. the things the CRTC passed are not an MAXIMUM.

They are a cut off point.  Any carrier when it reached that $ value, should cut off the usage of that type till next billing cycle.
If you call in, or reply to the text i beleive, ALLLOWING it to continue, they are allowed to charge further.

Also, those rulings also apply only to regular, retail plans.  Any corporate, enterprise, etc plans do not fall under it.

I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersMaude

Data overage charges are now going to cost $5/100MB on Rogers new Share Everything plans (previously $10/GB - $15/GB depending on the province). I feel this is NOT being fairly communicated to consumers because Rogers is hiding it in the extra fine print of the plan details. They failed to mention the change to me when I agreed to change my plan after preordering the iPhone 6s. When I noticed the fine print, I called Rogers and they said they can't give me my old plan back despite it being a share everything plan, as it is no longer part of the system. 

A coupled days ago my boss preordered the new iPhone on his business account and despite the rep assuring him that the price plan was the "same", when I prompted him to ask about overages, they then told him that it changed.

This is another reason why it is better to keep your old plan. If I just reserved my device, I would think I would be able to keep my old plan since it was a Share Everything plan. Sadly, I was caught in the frantic panic that Saturday Morning when the reservation showed no 6s except for rose gold.

Hopefully, those who were patient and waited for the reservation system are able to keep their plans...

Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

@rchiang1288

Your overage is billed in small pieces (100MB), so you won’t overpay when you go over your included data. Intercept will occur at the overage closest to $50 and not exceeding. (E.g. If the data overage rate is $5/100MB, the intercept needs to be sent before $50. When the Customer is 1GB over - $5 x 10 (100MB goes into 1GB 10 times) = $50 is when the Intercept will be sent. If the customer is sharing 2 lines, intercept will be sent at $100 = $50 x 2 lines
The great news is, we do offer the customer 2 great advantage of monitoring data usage.
To prevent any usage charges you can monitor your data usage on Rogers.com via MyRogers, or on the MyRogers App.
Also, all the lines that are part of the Share Everything plan will get the 75%, 100% notifications.

Thanks,

RogersAliciaG

I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersAliciaG

That's exactly my point, 1 GB of data overage would have been only $10 under my past plan, now it would be $50! That's a 5x increase. If Rogers was really trying to care about the consumer, they would be charging $1/100MB, but i know that would NEVER HAPPEN. I see it as a price increase nonetheless.

Aside from that, my biggest complaint is that such a significant change to the plans is being hidden in the fine print and it was NOT mentioned to me when I preordered my iPhone (same goes to my boss who is on a business account). It also awfully coincidental that it coincides with the new iPhone launch and you are offering Spotify and Shomi that would encourage data use (although they work through wifi too). I suspect many people would be surprised on their first bill if nobody told them of the change. 

I've Been Here Awhile

When you fine heaven on earth with a cell phone provider let us know.  They are all more or less the same.  Plus you are way to sensitive in my opinion to the providers comments.  Relax

I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry I was trying to answer a much prior message.  Reading all of these and my own experience just makes me hate iphones and data charges.  Such an incredible waste of money and time on something people find is absolutely essenstial but never even existed such a few short years ago.

I was in Europe for the first time and it's exactly like here.  Hordes of people with their head down doing whatever they think is so vital on the iphone.

Sad reality.  If they could implant a message into the mind with a subliminal message which very well could be real - this world is getting scary.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In many ways, I would have to agree with you.

About cells and how/what people in general use them.

People freak out, when there is even the tinyest service interuption.  "Service down for 1-2 hours?  I should get a whole days credit!  What would have happened if it was an emergency and I needed the phone?"

Go back 12+ years ago.. back when Analog only signals most of the time, no data, etc.  Maybe 1-2 out of 6 people had a phone if you were lucky?  Not everyone had them.
You would do like everyone else would.. pull over and use a phone at a store or something else, etc.

For personal use at least.. beyond the need to be able to make a call for emergencys sake (which I understand that many dont have a land line anymore, so hence why for emergencys sake is important).  MUCH of the other stuff.. is EXTRAS.  Its a nice to have, etc.. a luxury.  If you cant really afford it.. then its a luxury that could be cut out.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have just received my Rogers bill and note an $85 data overage charge. My wife and I are on a share everything plan with 2.5 gb of data. We were over less then a gb and we are being charged $85?? We have never gone over before and this was an unusual circumstance as my wife was without wifi for a 10 day period. If we had the 5 gb it would cost us $15 a month more than what we are paying now. How does $85 for less than 1 gb more make any sense? How can I dispute this? I am a long time Rogers customer and am very upset!