Data Overage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Data Overage

I was reviewing my bill and noticed an overage for data the last two months I did not go back any further because for fear of ruining my day. I called Rogers Support in hopes of eliminating these charges in the future. I requested to have a feature initiated to have the phones not use data over the 4GB shared plan I currently purchase. There is no such feature available. The phones do have an app that you can check your usage for each phone. The responsibility is clearly on the Customer.  Rogers is in no way going to help you to eliminate a overage charge. It is another brilliant way for Rogers generate more revenue off lackadaisical customers like myself. Rogers does have great service and once you are in a contract with them it certainly seems hard to move to another provider…. I take my hat off to all the others who have.  I will continue on my merry way paying overage fees being lackadaisical and being an unhappy Rogers Customer like most…. Thank you CRTC for making it easy for Rogers to generate the overall revenue in the neighborhood of 3.24 Billion and not doing too much for the Customer…. Thank you Thank you Thank you…

***Edited Labels.***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Data Overage

This really isnt a complain that should be solely directed at rogers.

ANY and ALL carriers.. are the EXACT same way.

You go over your usage with bell? or another provider?  Guess what? You will pay overages as well.

Is that to say its RIGHT? Not necessarily.
(would be great to have unlimited, etc).

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello macneirbr

Unfortunately i understand your situation & everything but this isn't only Rogers fault here. If you go to any other carrier here in Canada or around the world & you go over your data or minutes per say you will be charged a overcharge fee. This is normal for all carriers so its not really a complaint directed to Rogers only as Gdkitty said.

There should be a limit on how much overcharge you go too or a stop but that is up to the carrier / rules & customer if they can add one per say.
I'm an Enthusiast

I got fed up with that whole schtick. Now I have a simple talk and text cellphone plan and surf the net at home on my laptop.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Cap07

Thats good! I know a fee people that are doing that.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or sometimes just as simple as manage what your using while out and about 🙂

Luckily i am on wifi at work and home... but i do have a smaller data plan for the rest. 

BUT if i know i am not on wifi.. i dont do much more than the BASICS.. text based stuff.. no videos, etc.. things that will eat up usage 🙂

I am lucky if i hit 500mb a month.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@macneibr wrote:

I requested to have a feature initiated to have the phones not use data over the 4GB shared plan I currently purchase. There is no such feature available.

That's because it makes more business sense to let you exceed the limit and charge exhorbitant overage fees. I'm sure it would be very easy to just automatically shut off data once the limit was reached, but not nearly as profitable. Smiley Mad

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Then why is it, that when you you have tripled your Data Usage, so my example 5 Gb and I reach 15 GB, they then send me an over usage warning?     

I'm a Senior Advisor

I suspect it's the law, or in the fine print somewhere that they notify you when you're going over. I still think it's profit motivated. If customers were notified instantly they could curtail data useage near the end of the billing period. If' however, they're hit with a huge overage charge, it brings in revenue and encourages them to upgrade to a higher data plan.

My ISP (not Rogers) obsoleted my 6 Mbps 300 GB Internet plan and "upgraded" me to a current one that 15 Mbps and 100 GB (but it was cheaper). Problem is that we often exceed 100 GB, and I even received an email warning that I was going to exceed it.(Would Rogers do that?) I called them and upgraded to a higher plan before any overage was incurred. The problem is that the next step up was unlimited GB, not the 300 GB I had before, which would have suited me fine. So I was forced into an overkill upgrade. That's how business works.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well they DO have the 75% usage warnings still, do they not?

Problem is, the USAGE is not LIVE.. its calculated at the end of the day.  So if you reach that 75% at 8am.. you dont know about it till the next morning.. and you might have gone from 70-100 in that day.

Shouldnt HAVE to...
But its why i make it a habbit.. each morning to log in (either web or easier on my phone now), check the usage in the AM.. and see where i am before the day goes on.