Data Limit

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Data Limit

I took a look over at the internet packages on the rogers site today and noticed that the specs for Express (the one i use) changed again, speed at 18Mbps now, and a data limit of 70gigs.  When i go check my data useage though, it shows i have a 60 gig cap still.... I feel ripped off 🙂

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Data Limit

Follow up to this, called and asked, seems my account is a grandfathered account with my older Motorola modem (which i own) and to get the bigger cap and the slighty faster speeds, i'd have to upgrade my account and modem..... I swear they do a great job at helping me make up my mind to jump ship soon with all my services lol.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yup - I am in the same boat as you. There is no reason for it either since the Motorola modem is easily capable of 18 Mbps and bandwidth usage has absolutely nothing at all to do with what modem you have. But they want you to use the garbage D3 modems even though many customers have a lot of difficulty with the wireless component on them; and of course they charge you more!

I Plan to Stick Around

The Motorola we have now is a solid modem, I've had 0 issues for the 5 years or so I've owned it, and funny how when i paid for the data add on package (an extra 20 gigs for $5) it worked just fine, but that was another horror story that messed up my bill and i had to get rid of it lol.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Fookaroo wrote:

The Motorola we have now is a solid modem, I've had 0 issues for the 5 years or so I've owned it, and funny how when i paid for the data add on package (an extra 20 gigs for $5) it worked just fine, but that was another horror story that messed up my bill and i had to get rid of it lol.

I agree Fookaroo! We have no problems with our Motorola modem and our D-link router. I have seen people post on these boards that the D3 modems (SMC or Cisco) function just fine as a modem as long as you don't use it as a router. So what is the point of giving us a modem/router combo when the router part of it does not work? The mods here or on Facebook do not want to address this issue. Until Rogers introduces a stand alone D3 modem, I will stick with what I have. 

I've Been Around

I bought Rogers Extreme for when I moved out, but moved back into my parents' place and brought the internet with me. My parents have Bell.. get this lol.... My parents' Bell Modem is in the basement, my Rogers modem is on the main floor. From my bedroom I get a better signal from the BELL modem than the Rogers modem! Not to mention the Rogers modem doesn't even have Wireless N, that is some kind of bull**bleep**

I'm a Senior Advisor

There is no defense at all here for Rogers. They are selling/renting modems with POS wireless range and with a a wireless connection that is constantly being dropped. 

I Plan to Stick Around

seems most of the gateway modems are a hit or miss. If you rent one then its refurbished thats for sure, not sure how a brand new one (fully purchased) would work. Also its more or less the **bleep**y firmware vs. hardware however I do know the SMCD3 has almost no ventilation thus it gets hot very easily and quick and thats a instant hardware failure.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Here is a scenario... what if the "faulty routers" increase Rogers REVENUE?

Since we all have "Caps"..which means we are chargeg for UL/DL everything.. even TRANSMISSION errors.. then it would be in Rogers interest that we reach our caps sooner rather than later. Thus having a crappy modem/router is like free money for rogers!

I Have wireless 3G .. 4 days before my billing date I was @ 2.5GB of my 3MB Cap... when I checked my usage @ end of month.. I had magically used 1 GB of Data in 4 days to put me into the next payment Tier.. hmmmm 

Trust me with my low cap, I have all automatic updates disabled, use hostsman to block ads, use online virus scans, etc etc..

Since the Conservative government wants to snoop at our internet usage, and rogers keeps track for billing purposes, there has to be a detailed record of what I supposedly uploaded or downloaded in those 4 days!

I am calling Rogers tomorrow and demanding to be sent a DETAILED usage log for those 4 days..which should be an interesting call

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefuly you can get that information from them to track down WHERE hopefuly it came from

But it totaly possible to do so... if you have a runaway app or something in the background.

I actualy had that on my iphone.  One of my browser sessions.. which i had intitiated on 3G, never switched to wifi, etc.. was left there for a few days.. and must have been somehow refreshing, etc.. and EATING up my data usage.

My data usage on my phone is normaly... 150mb/m.. nothing (mostly use wifi on it).

I got the auto email, I was at 80% of my 500mb?  Called tech support... they confirmed the usage.. and right as we were talking.. they got the notification just as i did, that it was at 100% usage.. within 20 mins? O_O
I had only had the phone a month or so.. didnt know how to kill running apps on it.  Tech walked me through that.. as soon as i killed all safari sessions... BOOM, data usage stoped.

**edited for content**