cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DON’T UPGRADE YOUR PVR TO NETBOX !!

PaulMississauga
I've Been Here Awhile

I had to revert to the old one last night, for a week now it randomly deletes shows. At 10% full it gives me warnings about not enough space to record, and it won’t record two shows at once.  Also the guide is very slow to navigation. Very frustrating. I can't believe it took them this long to do a HD version in the first place. And where is the mobile app for it?

As a software programmer I’m shocked that a company with so much money can get 4-5 guys in room and design proper software, and have it tested before they release it.

I never been the one to complain about this company but this is the end for me. Once my  wireless contract comes up, after 13 years I AM DONE with Rogers.

I can’t take it anymore these guys are proving over and over again how incompetent they are. 

***Edited labels***

36 REPLIES 36

Re: DON’T UPGRADE YOUR PVR TO NETBOX !!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

Other than the complaints of slow on the new IPG (which many report, but i do not notice myself)..

I beleive your problems otherwise.. are a one off deal (well maybe a few others have had the same thing, but not a company wide).

There are many users which have upgrade fine, without having those problems... being a PC person, you know that when someone upgrades a peice of software from old to new (or an OS from old to new).. do it across 100 machines, there is bound to be one that doesnt upgrade properly for WHATEVER reason.

PaulMississauga
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers claim that these are all the same boxes (hardware specifications).  That’s what they told me at least. So the PC analogy can’t apply as the issue with PC installation is the difference in hardware from PC to PC.

Even if there was a difference in hardware there is no reason why they couldn’t run a diagnostic test on the box before and after upgrade to verify if there is going to be an issue and that the installation was successful.  This is not exactly rocket science or cutting edge technology that they are dealing with, it’s been around for years.

As for the slowness they should have realized that having HD graphics would require a better graphics card and more memory. The slowness can only be fixed by cutting down on the graphics at this point.

schexshe
I'm Here A Lot
App is on Google play but it doesn't work. I used app for two weeks then decided to upgrade to Nextbox on Sunday and since then no good. Best part call their customer service and start counting how many times you get transferred. Today I got transferred 8 times and still no fix. I even told them how to fix but they don't know what department handles their apps. Rogers is turning into a joke.

actualy paul, the PC annalogy works 100% still.

Where i work, its my job to roll out PC hardware.

I can get 10 new PCs from the manufacturer.. all built to the same specs, etc.

There is the chance that one of them will have an issue when installing a piece of software.. even just to a windows hickup, etc.

Actualy had this this week.. two new PC roll outs.. identical software installed (from an image). All seems good.. go to install neetwork printer, where drivers pulled from printer server.  PC 1 goes fine.  PC2 would install driver, but for whatever reason, windows is buggering up and not pulling the 'default' settings set in the printers settings... where the first will just fine.

remaxman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Biggest mistake I have ever made. This netbox has so many problems with it I dont know where to start. I'm calling them in the morning to get my 8300 back.

Steve

Dont hold your breath.. they are phasing out the 8300s, and my understanding is, they will not give them out/re-assign them anymore... but you can try.

Otherwise, your best bet, is see if you can get a 8642, PRE IPG update.

mfait

Just as for the old IPG.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I got the old IPG back into my 8642HDPVR last night. No issues or anything. Got all the old settings & stuff back.

The Nextbox is the same box as the 8642 but with the new IPG built in...

Also GdKitty is right. I called about 10 Rogers plus stores & they all told me the 8300 is no longer given out at all. They are discounting them in favor for the new boxes.

Jimholloway
I've Been Around
I upgraded last night and wish I hadn't. My unit constantly freezes and reboots, and won't record without crashing. Hard to be a loyal customer in the face of such a weak offering. This clearly hasn't been properly tested.

I am wondering if there is a large number of HARDWARE revisions of the newer boxes.

I hear alot of people compaining about freezing and rebooting.

But there are others (myself included) which do not have a single problem like that.

If it was JUST a bad software completely.. it SHOULD effect across the board, mostly.

But it could just be an issue with the software, and certain hardware revisions.. some it works fine.. and some it has problems...

why do the NETBOX boxes make such a loud noise when getting ready to update

SREGORSucks
I've Been Here Awhile

Can there be damage to the tv when it turns tv off? after the sharp signal is sent??

Re: why do the NETBOX boxes make such a loud noise when getting ready to update

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello SREGORsucks

No there will be no damage on the TV because of that.

YYZBear
I've Been Here Awhile
I'm also having major issues with the NETBOX upgrade. I upgraded when it came out, it was so slow, it would take more than a minute to respond to a click on the remote control. I had to roll back to old version. As someone mentioned before, the customer service was a joke, I was transferred at least 10 times, nobody knows who can handle your problem.

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade to NETBOX again, because I installed TVAnywhere on my iPad and it requires NETBOX on the DVR. They haven't fixed any of the bugs nor improved performance. The DVR reboots by itself so many times, especially in the middle of the night when there's nobody watching TV.

The issues with the NETBOX is not isolated to small a percentage of the users. I asked around at work and other forums, and everybody is having the same issues. Most of the people that I know have also rolled back to the old version.

This is a very disappointing product, and I'm shocked ROGERS haven't done anything to save its reputation, not even a public apology for releasing a failed product.

Re: DON’T UPGRADE YOUR PVR TO NEXTBOX !!

Frazzled

@YYZBear wrote:
This is a very disappointing product, and I'm shocked ROGERS haven't done anything to save its reputation, not even a public apology for releasing a failed product.

Rogers does not apologize. Nextbox has been an unmitigated disaster. Their D3 modems are terrible. They push forward software updates that cause nothing but problems. At the very best, you will receive a reply from Rogers that they are aware of the issues and are working on them, but more than likely they will try and blame your setup, or signal, or equipment - anything but themselves. It really is frustrating to continue to subscribe to their services!

Pauly
Resident Expert
is it called NETbox or NEXTbox? oh well, who cares, either way, i concur i have heard nothing but horror storries for the net box

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
While I agree there is alot wrong with it, I have got used to it now (as I want the other features that it adds). But no everyone is as patient, and can understand that alot don't.

It looks like there is a new pvr on the horizon, check out the '8 tuner pvr' thread... I pray that its not the same mistakes as with the nextbox

Re: DON’T UPGRADE YOUR PVR TO NEXTBOX !!

Frazzled

I agree Pauly. It is actually called Nextbox, but with its performance, it should be called "lastbox" - as in the last box you would ever get from Rogers!

Gdkitty - you should not have to get used to poor performance, nor should you have to be patient! If Rogers advertised something, they need to deliver and the fact is that Rogers does not deliver what is advertised!

As far as a new 8 tuner PVR on the horizon, I will not hold my breath. As customers, we have too often got our hopes up with new products from Rogers only to be let down time and time again. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
I won't argue that.

It will have to prove itself.

Current people testing it have said that it doesn't have any of the failings of the nextbox 2.0 (other than people who just don't like the look of it part). Performance is much better.

But time will tell, and will have to see, as it is released.

st123456
I've Been Here Awhile

It's terrible they have been to my house to see for themselves. They didn't believe what I was telling them. They changed all equipment now worst then before.
Keep old equipment DO NOT UPGRADE IT SUCKS!! And Rogers does not care.
WILL BE SWITCHING TO BELL FIBE

GRtechJason
Rogers Employee
I have 8642 and 4642 linked with whole home for just over a year now, and have never had a problem I couldn't tolerate. Yes I find it's slow-er than the old platform, yes it's not a perfect world in the sense of mass manufacturing, it's still not always Rogers fault this stuff doesn't work. I understand we are all consumers to Rogers. But Rogers is a consumer to Cisco. For all you know Cisco has promised time and time again that this wouldn't happen, or they have a patch to fix this coding error. Released periodically even still 10% of the boxes in the field don't catch the update properly. How is that Rogers fault, or Ciscos. Can this forum be kept for help and advice not complaints, it's a bit childish for a bunch of grown ups.