DON’T UPGRADE YOUR PVR TO NETBOX !!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rogers Employee GRtechJason
Rogers Employee

Re: DON’T UPGRADE YOUR PVR TO NETBOX !!

I have 8642 and 4642 linked with whole home for just over a year now, and have never had a problem I couldn't tolerate. Yes I find it's slow-er than the old platform, yes it's not a perfect world in the sense of mass manufacturing, it's still not always Rogers fault this stuff doesn't work. I understand we are all consumers to Rogers. But Rogers is a consumer to Cisco. For all you know Cisco has promised time and time again that this wouldn't happen, or they have a patch to fix this coding error. Released periodically even still 10% of the boxes in the field don't catch the update properly. How is that Rogers fault, or Ciscos. Can this forum be kept for help and advice not complaints, it's a bit childish for a bunch of grown ups.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@GRtechJason wrote:
........it's still not always Rogers fault this stuff doesn't work. I understand we are all consumers to Rogers. But Rogers is a consumer to Cisco. For all you know Cisco has promised time and time again that this wouldn't happen, or they have a patch to fix this coding error.......

Thing is, it's NOT Cisco that writes the firmware patches, it's Rogers (verified). Just like Cisco gateways, the boxes will work just fine when used with VANILLA factory issued Cisco firmware. As soon as Rogers flashes their Rogers issued/written custom firmware into the device the problems begin.

Sadly, Rogers is famous for their poorly written firmware updates which are coded to give them more control over your set top box and Gateways. Rogers may (??) know how to run a telecom network but their firmware coding efforts are inadequate to say the least.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Rogers Employee GRtechJason
Rogers Employee

Every area has a different channel plan, I can only speak on some Rogers platforms, but I'm sure that worldwide other providers don't use Ciscos firmware, have problems, etc. I know Cisco works with Rogers hand in hand to resolve firmware and hardware issues.
Point is this is a forum for helpful discussions not bantering. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone it's not intended or directed.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@GRtechJason wrote:
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone it's not intended or directed.

Well, you haven't offended me (not that it matters)...Smiley LOL

IMHO that's what forums are about. Getting at the truth of the issue. The more opinions the better. As far as Bantering goes......Some of us are just plain BORED of the usual.......Smiley Very Happy

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm a Regular

And here I was just thinking about ditching the old VCR/DVD and upgrading to a VIP package with a Nextbox 3.0. Sounds like more headaches.

Sorry if that sounds like a complaint, GR!

I'm not a Rogers employee. I'm not even a member of the family......
I've Been Around

I bought my new Netbox 3.0 about 3 weeks ago...I have had nothing but problems with  it. After watching TV for about 5 hours, the box freezes up and the only resort is to hard reboot which takes about 10 minutes to come back. With the old software, reboot took 4 minutes. I have tried putting a laptop cooling fan under the box....this hepled a bit but still reboots after high useage. Basically the box is too small with no cooling fans in it...very poorly designed for a box that costs $500....junk.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Where is it located?
I have never had an overheat issue with it, with a device ontop and below it, both in an inclosed and an open cabinet.
The unit runs a lot cooler than the previous, as they have removed the power supply part from inside and is now on the cord.

May just be a flakey box.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well scooter you are not the first and you certainly won`t be the last person to have issues with Rogers equipment contrary to what the Rogers apologists on here say...the equipment is flawed, if Ford put out equipment like this it would be front page news somehow Rogers seems to get away with it!!!

I really feel bad for all the people that paid the money for a box that does not perform as it should!!!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello donewith

The same can be said about ANY electronic. Actually Ford and most car manufacturers have recalled millions of cars back a few weeks ago due to issues. So your statement doesn't really make any sense. Any electronics is NOT perfect. Some have issues and some dont

I have had many issues with my old NextBox 2.0 yet when i get the NextBox 3.0 the first day last year, I only had one issue and issue has been resolved. Remember, Roger never manufactured the boxes, Cisco did. Rogers all they did was put the custom software and brand name on the box. While i do agree at some point Rogers should be at fault, if the box is over heating and such, always go to the store and exchange it for another one.

I had the same issues with my Bell cable box and brought it back to Bell last week and exchanged it. ( i have both Bell Fibe and Rogers Cable)
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I think you got the gist of my comment, I did not say Ford does not have problems we all know they do!!!

And yes the NB 2 is a complete joke and don`t give me that Rogers does not make the boxes everbody knows they don`t make the boxes, I have no doubt that the boxes work perfectly fine when they leave the factory it is Rogers that screws them up when they put their magic firmware on them!!!

Congrats on not have any issues with your NB 3 hang on to that box because it`s a rare bird indeed!!!

I too have had equippment that actually worked but it was not from Rogers, I have never had cable equipment from Rogers that worked properly different day different problem!!!

And one more thing your comment about electronic devices is somewhat true but I can tell you I think most name brand products that are manufactured for consumers have a pretty good reputation for reliabilty, I look around my place and I see lots of equipment that has worked flawlessly for many years and the equipment it replaced worked flawlessly for many years before that...so don`t give me any about Rogers equipment it does not work properly and that is a fact that you can not deny, good for you that you actually got a box that works there are 10`s of  thousands of Rogers customers that have equipment that does not work....you will have to excuse me now I have to do a re-boot!!!

**edited for content**