DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for Extreme Plus

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
feamcor
I Plan to Stick Around

DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for Extreme Plus

I'm so frustrated with Rogers about this lack of vanilla DOCSIS 3 modems. But not only that ... I bought the regular cable modem ($99) last April and subscribed to the Extreme HSI (10Mbps/1Mbps/95GB). Few weeks ago I went to the Internet and looked for the specs of the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 that I have (http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2100.html#~features). According to the specs, the modem can handle 43Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream ... that is, more than enough for handling the Extreme Plus HSI (25Mbps/1Mbps/125GB). So, I went to MyRogers (Sep 25th) and submitted a Change Tier/Plan online. Immediately the modem went through some handshake and in a matter of a couple of minutes I was getting 25Mbps of connection (tested many times with the Rogers Speed Test). Worth note that the online process informed me that my modem was compatible and that I didn't need to buy another modem (option to buy the $199 gateway was even disabled). I used that speed for a few days (3 or 4 days if I'm not mistaken) until one day when I arrived from work and realized that the Internet was not that fast. Did the Rogers Speed Test and guess what? I was back to the 10Mbps. Called the call center and since then it is only frustration. Right now I'm subscribing to the Extreme Plus but on the 18Mbps/1Mbps/95GB configuration (what Rogers agent called the granddad of the current Extreme Plus configuration). Nobody from Rogers has given me a proper solution and nobody explains how it worked. It is always the same mantra ... buy the SMC gateway. Well like most of people on this thread, I don't like SMC, I don't like combo devices, I have my own excellent wi-fi router and I don't want to pay more $199. So, how can Rogers help me? According to them, they can't. 

***edited labels***

BrandonP
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for Extreme Plus

Hi feamcor,

This may not answer your question but give you a little insight... Where your current modem has two (but mostly uses 1) data channels, the DOCSIS 3.0 modem has 4 downstream and/or upstream bonded channels. This means that the modem has 4 channels to pull data from instead of 2 to find the channel with the least congestion and highest transfer rate.

If everyone had the speeds of Extreme Plus on DOCSIS 2.0 modems then everyone would be pulling from the same 2 channels and the network would get congested very quickly. To ensure that this doesnt happen you need to use a DOCSIS 3 modem which pulls from 4 channels to ensure there is enough bandwidth for all.

Hope this helps

feamcor
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersBrandon, thanks for your reply. But besides it makes totally sense technically speaking ... my frustration comes from the fact that Rogers own system did the verification, indicated that my modem was compatible, activated the upgrade speed for a few days and only then, fallback to the previous configuration. No indication online that it was not possible. No feedback or call from Rogers etc. I figure it out by myself. So, as the bottom-line for your reply, my options are: keep paying for a sub-configuration of what I ordered; or buy a $200 (in addition to the $99 that I already payed for the vanilla cable modem) combo device to get the service I'm paying for. Have a nice holiday.

feamcor
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersBrandon/RogersErin, would Rogers allow me to use a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard eXtreme Cable Modem for my Extreme+ connection? It is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and I would be able to get it cheaper than the SMC modem that Rogers sells.

BrandonP
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hi feamcor,

I checked with our technical services department on this and was told that unfortunatly at this time, this modem is not supported by Rogers. It has been tested on our network and there have been service issues while using the device.

Best regards
jeeleelee
I've Been Here Awhile

If I understand correctly, some of us are paying for a service that claims it is 15 mbits  (or more, depending)  but Rogers did not provide any hardware to support it... ? that looks like something stupid and also a false advertisement.

I also noticed my Motorola modem was only getting 10 mbits instead of 15 mbits and I was wondering why; now I understand more why after reading other threads as well.

I still don't like that and I'm a very unhappy customer.

I also tried to change my internet data plan online (at least until the problem is fixed); but it is only possible to upgrade, and not downgrade. How stupid is this? 😕 I guess Rogers think people are stupid and will think it is correct to do that and that it makes sense? What kind of customer service is this.

mhills1969
I've Been Around

Hi,

I note that you say it is not supported by Rogers. However, I was just told on the phone by a Rogers CSR that I could purchase a Motorola SB6120 and that Rogers would add it to the network.

I asked her if that was actually true since I have read posts like yours saying that Rogers won't do it. She said that Rogers will add a third party DOCSIS modem - she told me to buy a modem that supports "docsis d3 hn gateway" from Bestbuy or Futureshop and take it to the retail store and that they will add it to my account to replace the rental modem I currently have.

Can you explain why a CSR told me this (I also found multiple posts from other saying that if you call the Rogers Provisioning phone number they will indeed add 3rd party modems)?

Thanks,

Matt

feamcor
I Plan to Stick Around

@mhills1969 if you manage to find a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem at Best Buy or Future Shop, please let us know. As per what I could check, these stores and others that I checked, in Canada, don't sell cable modems except those from Rogers. So maybe that's why the CSR was so nice to you. So far, the only place I could find is TigerDirect that imports the Motorola SB6120 from US for $125 (without taxes). Anyway, if you have someone that can bring it from the US maybe you can save around $30 or $40.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Sounds like the CSR is telling you to buy the Rogers "docsis d3 hn gateway" from BB or FS and then you can activate it. I don't think by the sounds of it they are telling you you can get any DOCSIS 3 modem and connect it.. Pretty much they think the only available are the rogers ones..
akhailtash
I've Been Here Awhile

I bought this Motorola modem SB6120 and I thought I could upgrade to Extreme Plus.  I already have Motorola SB5120 that I bought from Rogers a while ago.  I spent so many hours with customer service trying to activate this modem, but to my surprise they do not want to do it for some reason!@#!#%$  It is very frustrating!!$#@!$  Tech support says it is completely compatible as long as it is a DOCSIS 3.0 and I know many people who have this modem and are already using it.

Has anyone successfuly activated this modem with Rogers?  Any help would be appreciated.

-- Amal