DNS Issues with SMCD3GN Router/Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barnacles02
I've Been Here Awhile

DNS Issues with SMCD3GN Router/Modem

Hi there. 

I'm currently a little frustrated with this SMC3DGN router, and I'm hoping someone here can help me with this issue.

I've been having issues with connectivity for the last 3 days or so with this router, and I've troubleshooted and ruled out that it could be the devices I'm using.

When using the internet, I will notice "hiccups" in the internet speed. Sometimes, the next page will suddenly not load at all, or it will load without images and text, and will just contain the bare text of the webpage before the formatting is loaded.

As well, after a while, the internet connection (to the router, not the computer [  PC ------ Router -----X----Internet]  will disconnect and I will get  an error DNS Server Not Responding.

Also, I have been having internet connectivity issues for some time, apparently but didn't think this was caused by the router before. When playing a game or streaming voice or video over Skype, the connection will periodically get very choppy and will sometimes disconnect the call. 

Anyway, I've been dealing with Customer Service, but the people I've talked with don't seem to know too much about the router and told me "Just unplug and then plug it back in", even after describing my issues and the steps I've taken to attempt to fix this issue myself. It's very frustrating. 😞 

What I've done to try and remedy this issue myself has been to factory reset the modem twice, with no changes. I've also flushed and re-registered my DNS cache with no success. Lastly, the only way I can get internet back again is to actually power cycle the router. It's a temporary fix, but it seems to allow me to have a connection, however unstable it is. 

Thanks for your help.  

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: DNS Issues with SMCD3GN Router/Modem

I would have to agree with IHR... while the wireless is still spotty on the cisco.. the modem part of it is much better than the SMC.

View solution in original post

All Replies
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The Rogers D3 gateways seem to function satisfactorily as a modem, but the router component is garbage. Most people do rate the CISCO as being better than the SMC, which in general has been receiving very poor ratings. The solution used by many is to put the SMC into bridge mode (disabling the router component) and using your own router. I know this defeats the purpose of the gateways, but since Rogers does not authorize a standalone D3 modem, this seems to be the solution of choice right now.

There are a number of threads on this issue already.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/276...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2956...

http://www.thewebtechreviews.com/2011/04/02/my-frustration-with-rogers-smcd3gn-modem/

Barnacles02
I've Been Here Awhile

Aye. I've been looking at the other posts about this. Unfortunately this isn't just an issue with the wireless component. 

My wired connections, my wireless connections; everything is disconnected. It's acting like it's malfunctioning, and I want to be sure that's the case. It's about 2 years old I'd say.

Those threads unfortunately didn't really help, but thank you. 😞  

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

At the very least then, you might want to return the SMC and exchange it for the CISCO DPC3825. It still might require the router to be disabled so that you can use your own router, but from what I have read, the modem is much better that the SMC.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would have to agree with IHR... while the wireless is still spotty on the cisco.. the modem part of it is much better than the SMC.

View solution in original post