DDOS Attack on my network?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: DDOS Attack on my network?

Actually, I know for a fact that all the modems in our area are SMC gateway because the complex is newly built. Rogers made some contract with the construction company and so Rogers becomes the ONLY provider for our neighbourhood and we get a complimentary 1 year service free.

If I was to go and ask for a modem exchange, wouldn't they give me another SMC Gateway?
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you already have the SMC Gateway, you're on a DOCSIS 3 modem, and the problem is Rogers just didn't put enough hardware in your neighbourhood (really bad planning).

I remember talking to someone who said Rogers called him about some recall on the SMC Gateways..

Do you know your modem's model #?

I Plan to Stick Around

I believe it is D3GN.
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yeah.

Talk to your neighbours.  Get them doing speedtests too..  If they're all slow as well, get them to call in complaining of slow speeds every day, and get them mentioning that everyone else on the street is having problems too.

Only way to get Rogers attention is if a bunch of ppl all speak up, and complain like mad.

I Plan to Stick Around

Alright, I guess I can try that.
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, how do the technicians not get that there is no issue with my computer and that I have tested the connection on other devices as well. They keep asking for remote access to my computer. I allow one of them once, and they just disconnect me from the internet further by changing my 1gbps connection speed to 100mbps.

Then he says that he can send over a technician and if the speeds are normal, I will have to pay them 50 bucks. How is that fair to me because the speeds keep fluctuating?

I honestly believe that Rogers has their tech support in India and they have "fake" names like "Tony," "Andrew," and "Reginald."

I have such a hard time trying to explain anything to them.
xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

So how is your denial of service attack approach working with Rogers, you seem pretty sure that that is the cause of ALL your problems? I know you know more than the rest of US.... and even Rogers technicians.. please keep us updated as to the resolution of your issues...And BTW, A DDOS attack on your personal computer would never fall under under your contract with Rogers as it is YOUR responsibility to protect your own computer and/or network....just so you know!

I Plan to Stick Around

Clearly you do not know how a DDoS attack works. Let me explain it to you.

A DDoS attack is not aimed at a personal computer or device. It is aimed at flooding the CONNECTION with useless data, rendering the connection useless. There are different forms of DDoS attacks, with the most common being a UDP flood. It can be carried out with the use of a Bot Net (many infected computers being controlled by a hacker), a Shell Booter (different shells uploaded onto vulnerable web servers), or simple UDP flooding from a dedicated server (usually carried out by having access to a VPS; the server's connection is used to flood a home connection).

These methods can carry out TCP flooding and Slowloris attacks.

You seem just as misinformed as the Rogers technician who believe that the attack is aimed at a personal computer. A little bit of googling should help you in your aid to better understand the situation.

I know for a fact that I was under a DDoS attack because the person doing so was trying to lag me out of a game. He even uploaded a picture of his "shell booter" with my IP in it.  

The network speeds and downtime of my internet, cable, and even phone came after that. It was a just a mere coincidence. No where did I say that this was the "cause" of all my problems. 

It coincidently occured before all this down time and network issues. 

So I suggest doing some research and reading prior to posting and you will "look less like a fool," taken directly from your post against me.

Have a nice day.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

So according to your informative post above... you pissed off some gamers who decided to Flood the Rogers connection that you are on with useless data... so it wasnt an attack against your computer. it was an attack against everyone in your neighbourhood who has a rogers connection. So you have admitted that your actions on the net caused a denial of service to your whole community... good luck with getting support on that!

want to bet in the fine print there is a clause "thou shall not **bleep** off hackers"

No I have been a victim of a DDOS attack. Sorry little kids online think it is cool to ddos me when they get destroyed. :

I Plan to Stick Around

You honestly have no idea what you are saying, do you?

The DDOS attack was aimed at my connection, A SINGLE CONNECTION.

You need to do some research before claiming that the attack caused downtime in my whole neighbourhood.

I did not **bleep** anyone off online. Just because some people use illegal tools to flood a connection, it is not my fault. The attack is not caused by gaming and did not affect anyone around me in any way. As you can see by other posts, I wasn't the only person that experienced downtime.

The DDOS attack only lasted a few mins and it totally rendered my connection useless. I wouldn't be having low download speeds if the attack was still being carried out.

You honestly have no idea how DDOS attacks work so why don't you stick to answering questions about cellular speeds.

You're making yourself look more stupid assuming that a mere attack from a shell booter caused downtime to multiple connections. A DDOS attack is aimed at a single IP.

Perhaps you should search these terms on wikipedia before you jump out of you closet and talk about things you know nothing about.

Rogers is complied to help me in case of a DDOS attack because "online gaming" is clearly not against any rules and regulations.

Please don't bother replying until you do some research regarding this.

Have a nice day.