DDOS Attack on my network?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Re: DDOS Attack on my network?

From your previous post... Quote " A DDoS attack is not aimed at a personal computer or device

Clearly you do not know how a DDoS attack works. Let me explain it to you....."

From your LATEST REPLY post.  QUOTE "The DDOS attack was aimed at my connection, A SINGLE CONNECTION.

You honestly have no idea what you are saying, do you?

I guess when you suggest one thing, say another, or contradict yourself... I'm just blowing smoke.. either way.. you are just wasting bandwidth and by your own admission causing Rogers Customers to be affected by a DDOS because of YOUR actions.. to be honest Rogers should just kick you off the network..

Can we vote him/her off the island? lol

I Plan to Stick Around

I didn't contradict myself anywhere. Your replies are pointless. The only person who is affected by a DDOS attack is me. My bandwidth is being wasted. But the fault is not mine because ddosing is clearly against the law. So it is my fault that someone online wants to commit an illegal act against my network?

You're talking without knowing, again.

Please read these words carefully, refrain from posting in my thread.

NO OTHER ROGERS CUSTOMER IS AFFECTED BUT ME. THERE IS NO WAY TO STOP A DDOS ATTACK EXCEPT BY EITHER HAVING A STRONGER CONNECTION THAN THE ATTACKING CONNECTIONS, OR BY HAVING A PHYSICAL BLOCKER WHICH ROUTES THE ATTACK TO AN UNASSIGNED IP AWAY FROM MY NETWORK. THE BEST WAY TO AVOID THEM, IS TO CHANGE A PERSON'S IP.

I have already gotten a response from Rogers regarding the IP issue.

If you can't get this through your thick skull, then I question your intelligence. Who do you think you are? Coming into my thread and bashing me without any knowledge of what a DDOS attack is or how it works.

One more post from you and I am seriously reporting you because you are ignorant and not providing any help to this (now resolved via email) issue.

Let this thread die now and don't bump it again. Have a nice day.
skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@9997:

I guess it seems to me that all's fair in Love and Warcraft.

If your antogonist, the perpetrator of the DDOS attack on you, is known to you by IP address, or by other WoW-related info, it would seem to me that a more effective approach here would be to go to Blizzard support and address it with them.

I can understand that Rogers would be underwhelmed by the prospect of addressing any kind of digital vandalism addressed at one of their customers.  Rogers really has no responsibility in this, nor are they an aggrieved party.  What can they do?  Go to the police, for example?

You on the other hand have, I assume, paid for WoW access and the rights to play the game unhindered by Yahoos who can't take losing gratefully.  Blizzard will have at the minimum the option of disciplining their players by communicating with them, and at worst penalizing them by kicking them off the game, perhaps even levying financial penalties.  I assume they (Blizzard) have the credit card info and/or other identifying info to pursue such a course of action.

Blizzard, on the other hand, would not want their game-playing customers pee-ed of by Yahoos like your antogonist and will no doubt need to be concerned about someone messing with their revenue source by making customers angry.

So, what say you?  Have you tried any of that?

Good luck in Love and Warcraft.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello skinroth. Thank you for a decent reply.

The game I play is not World of Warcraft. And apparently the person carrying out these minor DDOS attacks against me is confusing me with someone else. He means to attack someone else but thinks that my IP belongs to that person. This is all that I am aware of. I of course, do have his IP and it belongs to Shaw Cable. I do plan to take it up with them, but in the mean time, I requested that Rogers assign me a new IP. The attacks will continue as long as my IP responds to an ICMP ping request.

Rogers has told me that the IP assigned to me will not change unless my modem is changed as each IP assigned is unique to the Mac address of its router.

I have decided to exchange my modem at my local Rogers PLUS store. It seems like the most easiest approach. I'm not one to make enemies online, and I had nothing to do with the person.

The issue has been resolved and further discussion on it would be pointless.

But I was wondering if Rogers can block the ping request feature so that when a ping command is sent to me ip (via CMD or any other tool), no response is given back.

I guess I will look into this and try and contact Rogers again.

Thanks for your reply, and have a nice day.
skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@9997:

I don't know specifically what Rogers can do, or would be willing to do.  I do know that specifically, a given protocol such as ICMP could be blocked.  I also know that firewalls can block specific protocols as well as specific connections from a given IP address.  But that depends on the functionality available on that firewall, etc.

I apologize for making the assumption that you are a WoW player.  Your name seemed to come up in postings related to that subject.

Some firewalls, for example those available under Linux, have very fine controls available for selecting, passing and blocking IP-based communications.  However, I am no expert on exactly how to do that.  I just know it can be done.

And, in the end, it doesn't matter which "tool" as you term it, generates the IP-based communications.  Firewalls and routers simply look at the protocol, port or type of communication, and determine what to do based on rules set by the user.

skinorth

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@9997 If you unplug your modem it would stop responding to ICMP requests and thus would the attack then stop?

Otherwise, call Rogers, get them to put your gatewy into bridge mode. Plug it directly into your computer. It should grab an IP. Now release the IP. Unplug the modem for the night or day. Plug it back in get a new IP.

If you need the router functionality call back and get them to enable it.
I Plan to Stick Around

@skinroth

Firewalls won't work because the ping request does not connect to a computer at all, and would be communicating with my router. They would only work if I had a dedicated server with a direct line connecting it to the Internet.

Though I guess I could contact rogers and ask them if they can do it from their end.

@Chris

After talking to Rogers, they said that it will not work as each ip assigned from their pool of ips is unique to the hardware (modem). So unless I can change the Mac address of my modem, their DHCP server will not issue me a new ip address.
Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@9997 I'm pretty sure there is a miscommunication between them and you. The only way to know for sure is to try it. Yes the dhcp lease ties to the mac addr but only for the duration of the lease or until it is released.

As for what skinnorth is saying he is right the router is a firewall, not sure on your router but routers can be configured to ignore ping requests thus anyone pinging your ip would get a host unreachable message.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Chris

The technician said that almost 90% of the time, the same IP is leased to the router. I've tried the release message twice, though I guess I can contact them to try once more in bridge mode.

As for what skinroth said, I believe he meant firewalls on my PC. My router firewall is enabled but I guess that it does not block the ping request.
I Plan to Stick Around

I think I am really dumb. I asked Rogers support for my router login a while back and was only told about the cusadmin login information.

I just found that there is an alternative admin login. I'm looking into it right now. It might be what you meant for me to look into before, Chris and I wasn't seeing the options. I see a section for MAC spoofing. I will familiarize myself with this before getting back to you.