D-Link DAP-1320 Wi-Fi Range Extender Needs Frequent Rebooting ... Could Modem Be The Cause?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

D-Link DAP-1320 Wi-Fi Range Extender Needs Frequent Rebooting ... Could Modem Be The Cause?

Hi.

I recently bought a D-Link DAP-1320 Wi-Fi Range Extender.

Works great in general, but ...

I find it loses connectivity every few days and I have to reboot it (by physically unplugging it from the power source and simply plugging it back in).

Many reviewers have mentioned this in the Amazon.com reviews.

D-Link has not been much help; they have an article "Why am I having connection problems with my DAP-1320?":

a. The extender has a different network name than the Rogers modem/Wi-Fi router

b. I live in a condo, so the distance to the modem is not really that far ... signal strength is excellent when it's working

I wonder if it has anything to do with the modem Rogers provided?

I am not using any other router ... just the one Rogers provided.

Could the modem be resetting something causing the Extender to lose connectivity?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Re: D-Link DAP-1320 Wi-Fi Range Extender Needs Frequent Rebooting ... Could Modem Be The Cause?

It's a D-Link. I don't think I've ever had a D-Link product that didn't become moody, though usually it took 9-15 months for them to get really moody. And I've had routers, access points, and powerline gear from them...

May I suggest returning the range extender (if you can) and just getting a decent router? A condo should be able to be served just fine with a single router/access point, assuming it is decent (i.e. not the Rogers CGN2).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: D-Link DAP-1320 Wi-Fi Range Extender Needs Frequent Rebooting ... Could Modem Be The Cause?

How is the extender set up?

It is set to auto get an address via DHCP? or is it a static address.
thats really the only thing i could think of.. that the gateway is droping its address off the address table after another day, and the extender is not re-asking for it.. so sitting idle... when you reset it, would force it to re-aquire an address.

Mind you i have not used an extender in YEARS.. in the past, has NOTHING but issues with them 😞
Personally gave up on them YEARS ago and just wired an extra long run and put in another router as an AP. (but thats not always doable specially when you cant drill through your walls, etc in an apartment.

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

It's a D-Link. I don't think I've ever had a D-Link product that didn't become moody, though usually it took 9-15 months for them to get really moody. And I've had routers, access points, and powerline gear from them...

May I suggest returning the range extender (if you can) and just getting a decent router? A condo should be able to be served just fine with a single router/access point, assuming it is decent (i.e. not the Rogers CGN2).

View solution in original post