Curse.com - cannot connect to this site for several weeks

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Curse.com - cannot connect to this site for several weeks

Really strange.  For 3-4 weeks now I've not been able to connect to CURSE.COM ( site for gaming addons ). 

So yesterday I called Rogers CS to ask about it.  At first, the rep had no problems connecting from the T1 line at his terminal.  To be safe though, he went and tried it from another terminal that used a different connection and he also timed out & could not connect ... so this helped to confirm that I wasn't going insane.  He has escalated it to be looked at.

In the meanwhile, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem with CURSE in particular?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Curse.com - cannot connect to this site for several weeks

Perfectly fine here.

Actually just updated my addons tonight on my laptop.

First thought would be a ROUTING issue.. but that SHOULD be the same across the board, at least after it leaves rogers.

Are you able to do a TRACERT from you to the curse servers you cant connect to?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, ran a tracert a couple of times and got through just fine.  It's a really weird problem.  Cannot connect directly to the url by name or IP from IE10.  Tried running it in compatibility mode too and no effect. 

Interestingly, I just thought of trying it via Chrome while answering you ... and it went through just fine.  So maybe it's some kinda weird IE thing.  Ah well.  Guess this solves it lol. 

Cheers Gdkitty!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

was thinking maybe DNS then.. but not if it was just IE.

YEAH.. thats a wierd one Smiley Tongue

I'm an Advisor

Lyphe:

FWIW, I just tried connecting to curse.com with IE 10 and Chrome. Neither one worked. I get the oops cannot connect message from both browsers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yea, it's a completely strange situation.

I still cannot connect from IE10 ... can connect from Chrome ... and my wife cannot connect from her Apple Safari.  At the same time, I know that most people can connect and that it is just a few ISPs with the problem ( Rogers seeming to be one of them ).

No word back from Rogers yet on my escalation of this issue from a couple of days ago.  If anyone figures this out in the meanwhile, please post it up!

I'm an Advisor

Just tried it with Safari on my iPhone and no dice. The error message said "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding". Sounds like the issue is with the web site.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

DEFINATELY weird.

Just tested right now:
Loaded from work (bell, Bell DNS) works fine.
Loaded from home - remoted into home PC (rogers, GOOGLE DNS) works fine.

Makes me think DNS issue?

Try on Safari on iphone, on CELLULAR (rogers, rogers DNS) connets fine.

Sooooo.. really dont think its DNS per say.. unless speratic?
Otherwise... routing? where the routing goes down on it temporarily?
Or could just be the receiving end..

I Plan to Stick Around

They are doing load balancing and have IPs in 2 different blocks - it's possible you're having issues with one of them which would explain why it's sporadic.

curse.com.              5M IN A         190.93.244.102
curse.com.              5M IN A         190.93.246.101
curse.com.              5M IN A         190.93.247.101
curse.com.              5M IN A         141.101.114.102
curse.com.              5M IN A         141.101.115.102

Try visting these by IP address. You should see a Cloiudflare custom error page if you are connecting OK.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One of those new server?

Could be some places dont have the full DNS entry for the address yet.. so wont resolve.