Crashing and Rebooting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Crashing and Rebooting

These are the other 2 threads other people have reported the same problem:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I myself are experiencing the same problem after about 2 months owning the NB3. My NB2 had this problem for almost a year and I decided to exchange it with the NB3, and unfortunately got the same problem.  On both boxes, the problem didn't occur at the beginning, but it seems to start occuring after the hard drive were 70% filled.  Then the problem with just persist even I after I deleted many recordings. I have to reboot the box at least every day.

One thing I found is it only affect the "Recordings by Name" menu. I can navigate through other menus fine. In this "Recordings by Name" menu, you can usually see the top 3 recordings, and others will be blanked. When you navigate to a blank one, it will just stuck there and you have to change to other pages to be able to navigate again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So once again right in the middle of watching a program my Netbox decides to shut down for a software update.

Yes Rogers, as I've said before, some of us don't have the luxury of working a steady day shift job and actually like to watch TV at 2am.

Anyway, this time the PVR didn't recover from the software update and when I woke up a few hours later it was in a boot loop. The update would load about 3/4 of the way and then the unit would shut down and reboot again.

After spending some time on the phone with service I was told I'd have to take the unit into a Rogers store to exchange it. So much for the hard drive full of programs I hadn't watched yet.

Now here's where things get really interesting.

I purchesed my unit.

As it was still under warranty Rogers exchanged it for a refurbished unit that was much rougher looking than the mint unit I took in. Anyway I asked the Rogers rep at the store what would have happened if it had not still been under warranty. The answer, I'd have been out of luck.

So there we have it. Rogers can take over our PVR any time it wants for a software update and if they screw the unit up and it's not under warranty we're sh*t out of luck. And of course there's no way to opt out of the software updates even though I can't see any update that I actually benefited from.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been reading a lot lately that Rogers can take a perfectly good piece of hardware and then ruin it with their firmware updates. On the other hand, there has been an occasion or 2 when a firmware update has been of benefit - usually when they have mucked things up so bad with one update that they have to fix it with another firmware update! Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on the changes made.. without the update, the unit MIGHT not access the network, etc properly.

There ARE other things that can be done, if the unit was out of warranty, and the update screwed something up..

You can always WIPE the hard drive fully, by taking it out of the unit, into a PC, etc..
Upong booting back up, would pull the firmware/OS from scratch.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Depending on the changes made.. without the update, the unit MIGHT not access the network, etc properly.

True, but there is no rhyme or reason behind many of the updates provided by Rogers and the fact that they update pretty well every single night at 2 PM is totally ludicrous. Even Microsoft does not provide updates every day. LOL! I would expect that even you would have to agree on this one!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The nightly updates are the pull of the next days guide normally. Without them, by the time you got to the last day of the week, you would have no days forward.

Though they do need a better delivery method which is less intrusive

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have the same problem.  But if I am watching PBS from Seattle, I cannot use time shift.  It is so frustrating .  I am tempted to dump the nextbox and go back to the HD box.  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Nextbox reboot on its own, TV comes on, sound and picture then freezes after 1-2 min, and box goes into BOOT mode.  Tried disconnecting for a couple minutes and no changes, is there anything else i can do?  With my rogers down it i dont think i can ask to reset my box, any advice would be appreciated

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You ca try calling in to see if they can do it from their end that way.

If it cant get a SIGNAL.. it sometimes can get stuck in a boot signal..
Beyond that, not sure.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in Ottawa and have had this problem for about 3 weeks now, after months with no issues. Today I finally cleared my harddrive and traded in my PVR, and the new one is doing the same thing. I don't get screen freezes, just constant reboots every time I turn the TV off. Firmware is up to date. I'm gonna give it overnight to see if the 2am reboot sorts it out but I'm not holding my breath.