Cortana

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Cortana

That explains it.  I was wondering why something that works in the States wouldn't work here. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RealtorTechGuy wrote:
The bigger issue with Cortana and Canada are our language laws, Cortana is not ready for French!

Cortana has been announced yesterday with additional language support. It will be available in France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

This means the French language is now supported.

It is likely that Canada will see here arriving soon (with the Denim update) and we can hope Quebec will also have access to her.

Finally, according to leaks from a carrier in France, the Denim update is rolling-up on some device this December and will accelerate the deployment in early 2015.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I ordered a Lumia 735 from the States for my son and it came with Cortana and with Denim.  There are lots of nice surprises in Denim so I'm really looking forward to updating my 920 with it.   

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Cortana is available on Bell windowsphone
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

With this week's release of 8.1 Update on the HTC 8X, it seems that it's still not possible to activate Cortana.  Following the instructions here, the problem comes when you try to install EN-US speech: the installer downloads, prepares for the installation, restarts the phone twice, but fails to complete the installation.  Anyone been able to succeed with this?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good Day!

Are you attempting to get Alpha Cortana or Beta Cortana? If you are attempting the Alpha Cortana and if your regions/speech/language is all set to the Canadian default Cortana should show up under Settings/Applications.

I have the Beta -US version of Cortana on my Lumia 920 and here are my device settings for reference. Hope it helps.

Keyboard - English

Language - English U.S.

Region - United States. Under the regional format option you can have the "Match phone language" option as well.

Speech - English U.S.

However I don't think I had to download and install the EN-US speech option. I did however have to download the EN-US Keyboard.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.  There may be different options available for the HTC 8X and Lumias.  I have tried setting the language, keyboard and region all to US, but still the problem remains that EN-US speech can be downloaded but cannot be installed (EN-CA speech is not even available to download).

I installed the Developer Preview app, I could perhaps install a newer 8.1 update and fix the speech problem, but that might conflict with other operations.

It seems like a poor policy to release 8.1 for HTC 8X phones, purchased through and locked to Rogers, without providing an 'official' (no hacks) option to activate Cortana.  Or, it may be that there is no feasible method until MS provides Cortana support for EN-CA (and then HTC and Rogers supply it to their customers).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re : Cortana

Need help

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

what is the issue?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Interrupts when I'm speaking to someone on speaker also when in a meeting phone on vibrate she pipes up loudly when host starts talking "I'm sorry but I don't understand you" very embarrassing and frustrating.