Cortana

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Cortana

I've upgraded to windows phone 8.1 and noticed Cortana did not come with it. I've read it does not yet seem to be available in Canada. Has anyone heard when it's coming ??

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Cortana

Cortana is only enabled in Canada for those who have updated to GDR1 (sometimes called Update 1) for WP8.1, and currently only those who have opted into the Developer Preview are able to update to GDR1. The update is suppsoed to be rolled out later this year, and at that point users will be able to enable Cortana on their phones. It's important to note though that Cortana is currnelty only enabled as an alpha in Canada, which means not all features are available yet (and of course, some things might be buggy).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cortana is only enabled in Canada for those who have updated to GDR1 (sometimes called Update 1) for WP8.1, and currently only those who have opted into the Developer Preview are able to update to GDR1. The update is suppsoed to be rolled out later this year, and at that point users will be able to enable Cortana on their phones. It's important to note though that Cortana is currnelty only enabled as an alpha in Canada, which means not all features are available yet (and of course, some things might be buggy).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you want to use full Cortana in Canada, just change your regional settings to English (United States)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if anybody can shed some light on this for me....

So, in order to get Cortana I changed my region to US.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to purchase any apps or games from the store now. 

When I try to enter my credit card information I hit a roadblock once I get to the part where it asks for the address associated with my card.  I can't enter the info because it only offers me US States as options.

Has anybody else run into this?  If so...have you found any sort of way around this?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That I believe is expected with the inability to purchase things.

Sadly, if you want to purchase an App or something, you will have to swap your region settings back to Canada. When you want Full (or at least Beta) Cortana, then you need to swap back to America as your region of choice.

Likely some legal / pricing reasons. Tax maybe? That's usually why we Canucks can't have nice things lol.

FWIW, I'm using the Canadian Cortana Alpha right now, and it's... OK. it does a great job with basic requests, but things like flight tracking and some of the newer suggestion features seem to be disabled, need to use the American one for that. Once they get Cortana polished up It will be a fantastic service, just sad that we don't have the same features as the American one, but that should change soon.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Because in Canada, Australia, and India, Cortana is classified as an alpha, which apparently means disabling interests so you can't automatically track stuff, despite the fact you can manually ask Cortana for this info and the service does so accurately, you just can't track it.

Also disabled for whatever reason is various questions such as "Who is the Prime Minister of Japan" which gives a nicely formatted answer for American Cortana, but just a web search for Canadian Cortana.

It's a baffling decision that so much is disabled because they're "not confident" about the quality of data they have for these regions.

Just give us the freaken service and let our use improve it! Sheesh!

I Plan to Stick Around

I understand that Cortana will be released in Canada before the end of 2014 but it still might have to go through Rogers so that would take longer.    

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes you are correct, Rogers will have to release the update as they do with all updates. Have enrolled in Dev Prev and enjoy uaing Cortana especially in the car. Works great. Not many issues. But when Cyan was released I was also on DevPrev and had to "Nokia Recovery" my device due to Dev Prev. So use with some risk.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The bigger issue with Cortana and Canada are our language laws, Cortana is not ready for French!