cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cortana

crowdisg
I'm Here A Lot

I've upgraded to windows phone 8.1 and noticed Cortana did not come with it. I've read it does not yet seem to be available in Canada. Has anyone heard when it's coming ??

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cortana

Dos101
I Plan to Stick Around

Cortana is only enabled in Canada for those who have updated to GDR1 (sometimes called Update 1) for WP8.1, and currently only those who have opted into the Developer Preview are able to update to GDR1. The update is suppsoed to be rolled out later this year, and at that point users will be able to enable Cortana on their phones. It's important to note though that Cortana is currnelty only enabled as an alpha in Canada, which means not all features are available yet (and of course, some things might be buggy).

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Dos101
I Plan to Stick Around

Cortana is only enabled in Canada for those who have updated to GDR1 (sometimes called Update 1) for WP8.1, and currently only those who have opted into the Developer Preview are able to update to GDR1. The update is suppsoed to be rolled out later this year, and at that point users will be able to enable Cortana on their phones. It's important to note though that Cortana is currnelty only enabled as an alpha in Canada, which means not all features are available yet (and of course, some things might be buggy).

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you want to use full Cortana in Canada, just change your regional settings to English (United States)

BrendanC
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if anybody can shed some light on this for me....

So, in order to get Cortana I changed my region to US.  Unfortunately, I'm unable to purchase any apps or games from the store now. 

When I try to enter my credit card information I hit a roadblock once I get to the part where it asks for the address associated with my card.  I can't enter the info because it only offers me US States as options.

Has anybody else run into this?  If so...have you found any sort of way around this?

Jack_Sparrow74
I Plan to Stick Around

That I believe is expected with the inability to purchase things.

Sadly, if you want to purchase an App or something, you will have to swap your region settings back to Canada. When you want Full (or at least Beta) Cortana, then you need to swap back to America as your region of choice.

Likely some legal / pricing reasons. Tax maybe? That's usually why we Canucks can't have nice things lol.

FWIW, I'm using the Canadian Cortana Alpha right now, and it's... OK. it does a great job with basic requests, but things like flight tracking and some of the newer suggestion features seem to be disabled, need to use the American one for that. Once they get Cortana polished up It will be a fantastic service, just sad that we don't have the same features as the American one, but that should change soon.

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around

Because in Canada, Australia, and India, Cortana is classified as an alpha, which apparently means disabling interests so you can't automatically track stuff, despite the fact you can manually ask Cortana for this info and the service does so accurately, you just can't track it.

Also disabled for whatever reason is various questions such as "Who is the Prime Minister of Japan" which gives a nicely formatted answer for American Cortana, but just a web search for Canadian Cortana.

It's a baffling decision that so much is disabled because they're "not confident" about the quality of data they have for these regions.

Just give us the freaken service and let our use improve it! Sheesh!

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand that Cortana will be released in Canada before the end of 2014 but it still might have to go through Rogers so that would take longer.    

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes you are correct, Rogers will have to release the update as they do with all updates. Have enrolled in Dev Prev and enjoy uaing Cortana especially in the car. Works great. Not many issues. But when Cyan was released I was also on DevPrev and had to "Nokia Recovery" my device due to Dev Prev. So use with some risk.

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around
The bigger issue with Cortana and Canada are our language laws, Cortana is not ready for French!

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

That explains it.  I was wondering why something that works in the States wouldn't work here. 

@RealtorTechGuy wrote:
The bigger issue with Cortana and Canada are our language laws, Cortana is not ready for French!

Cortana has been announced yesterday with additional language support. It will be available in France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

This means the French language is now supported.

It is likely that Canada will see here arriving soon (with the Denim update) and we can hope Quebec will also have access to her.

Finally, according to leaks from a carrier in France, the Denim update is rolling-up on some device this December and will accelerate the deployment in early 2015.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

I ordered a Lumia 735 from the States for my son and it came with Cortana and with Denim.  There are lots of nice surprises in Denim so I'm really looking forward to updating my 920 with it.   

jimsbrown19
I've Been Around
Cortana is available on Bell windowsphone

JHector
I Plan to Stick Around

With this week's release of 8.1 Update on the HTC 8X, it seems that it's still not possible to activate Cortana.  Following the instructions here, the problem comes when you try to install EN-US speech: the installer downloads, prepares for the installation, restarts the phone twice, but fails to complete the installation.  Anyone been able to succeed with this?

brandonjbarnard
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good Day!

Are you attempting to get Alpha Cortana or Beta Cortana? If you are attempting the Alpha Cortana and if your regions/speech/language is all set to the Canadian default Cortana should show up under Settings/Applications.

I have the Beta -US version of Cortana on my Lumia 920 and here are my device settings for reference. Hope it helps.

Keyboard - English

Language - English U.S.

Region - United States. Under the regional format option you can have the "Match phone language" option as well.

Speech - English U.S.

However I don't think I had to download and install the EN-US speech option. I did however have to download the EN-US Keyboard.

Hope this helps!

JHector
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.  There may be different options available for the HTC 8X and Lumias.  I have tried setting the language, keyboard and region all to US, but still the problem remains that EN-US speech can be downloaded but cannot be installed (EN-CA speech is not even available to download).

I installed the Developer Preview app, I could perhaps install a newer 8.1 update and fix the speech problem, but that might conflict with other operations.

It seems like a poor policy to release 8.1 for HTC 8X phones, purchased through and locked to Rogers, without providing an 'official' (no hacks) option to activate Cortana.  Or, it may be that there is no feasible method until MS provides Cortana support for EN-CA (and then HTC and Rogers supply it to their customers).

Re : Cortana

bethmacleod
I've Been Here Awhile

Need help

brandonjbarnard

what is the issue?

Interrupts when I'm speaking to someone on speaker also when in a meeting phone on vibrate she pipes up loudly when host starts talking "I'm sorry but I don't understand you" very embarrassing and frustrating.

brandonjbarnard

Which version of Cortana are you using? Canadian Alpha or U.S. Beta? Which windows device are you using?

If you are using a newer Lumia device with the denim update there might be an issue with the setting for the passive listening "Hey Cortana" setting.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 in conversation