Contract expiring - forced to change?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Contract expiring - forced to change?

My wife's 2 year contract will expire in September.  Right now she is on the talk, text and data plan ($70/mnth) with some credits attached ($20 total) which obviously expire when the contract does.  I understand that this is an older plan that is obsolete.

I called Rogers recently to pay off her device early and asked that they change to byod pricing.  I figured that the plan would be $70 - $20 (BYOD credit) and that would be it.  However I was told that the plan would have to be changed to a share everything.  Now, the cheapest plan is $80.

Why would I agree to pay an extra $10?  I don't need / want the inclusions in that plan.  There should be no reason why they can't simply remove the existing credits ($20) and apply the BYOD credit ($20).  

Kevin

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Contract expiring - forced to change?

Hello @kgrosvold

There is no "BYOD" credit per say.
With ShareEverything Plans ($80 for example) its priced at Premium smartphone pricing. So BYOD for THAT plan would be $60 for example...

However, just as you stated, the $70 plan is older plan (also known as Grandfather), the plans back then did not follow the Subsidy rulings as they were 3yr plans.

However, You personally wouldn't be paying $80, because you are not subsidizing a phone. you'll be paying $60.
That's ShareEverything BYOD plan for 500mb and unlimited canada wide talking with Call Display and Mini-Voicemail (3 messages, 3 mins, for 3 days) included.
Call-Forwarding, Call waiting, and Group Calling (3-way calling but more than 3 people) also included.

Your concept of how BYOD planning works in on the dot, and 100% valid, the only thing is, it isn't a "Credit" it is pricing built in to the plans based on newer subsidy rulings.
Old Plan just wasn't part of it. Its Grandfathered - Obselete because it doesn't play well with the new rulings.

I hope that gives a better understanding.
But Definitely you will not be paying $80. nononono. Unless you are getting subsidized, you would be only looking at BYOD plan!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand that I would not be paying the $80.  I'll be paying $60, but that is $10 dollars higher then what I'm paying now.  So, for bringing my own device, I get the "priviledge" of paying an additional $10.

Grandfathered plan or not, it is working currently.  My monthly bills reflect that.  Paying off my device should have no barriers to simply maintaining a $20 credit that I have now and simply rephrasing it as "BYOD."  I'm pretty sure that it is  not that difficult.

Kevin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, I obtained the phone 2 years ago, when 2 year contracts were obviously available as that's what the subsidy was based on. So you are inaccurate to state that the subsidy rulings at that time were for 3 yr plans.
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Oh I apologize. I was going by the basis of stating that your plan was "obselte" - stating so made me assume 3 yr plans. That was my mistake, so you're right. I was inaccurate because of that.

However, what I can be accurate about is this;
Your $20 credit is time based (usually timed with the term but not always) if you buy out your phone today for example, it wouldn't take away your $20 credit until it expires on its own.
Only time it will expire sooner than dated is if the plan is changed to the newer ones. As far as I know those $20 offers don't exists anymore.

I don't know what expectations were set and what was the $20 savings for. I am going by information you are providing me thus far, but as far as I know pricing and offers are based on the market pricing at that time. Meaning whenever you got it, 2012 2013 2014 ... the $20 just wouldn't be available today.
I am sure they can still assist you, have you tried looking at alternative plans?
Did you need unlimited canada wide calling?
Is that what your plan has now? The older version of shareeverything?

Maybe exploring that option could save you more than you were expecting.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, canada wide is included in my current package.  I did call when I wanted to simply pay off the device and change the credit, but was told that I would have to change plans.

Kevin

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Yeah, I don't recommend chaning the plan unless you NEED to.
It sounds like you really don't need to change plans and your credit should stay the way it is.

Buying out your subsidy is not related to your older plan with credit. It shouldn't be effected.

Only if you ask to "renew" your credit, which doesn't exist you will be told to change plan. If it isn't looking favourable... I don't recommend changing it.

If you are buying out your device because you want to go into BYOD plan, they will put you in the only plan coding available to them now. which is the NEW price range of ShareEverything ($60) and the credit of $20 WILL go away - because the new plan codes doesn't match the requirements of the old credit system (Best way I can explain that). Don't do it man. Just don't.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Right now I think you are getting a better price point, because older Shareeverything plan (the ones that came out originally when 3 year was ending) had lower price point. I can tell you that, because I am on that plan and my 3 yr just ended... Those pricing are not the same as the new price plans. 3 years plan were cheaper because they were spread out in 3 year margin to gain back the subsidy cost. (Not looking at the future rulings will prevent 3 years to exist after 2 year ends as of June 3rd or later)...

Those plans are a "deal" per say. I wouldn't change my plan If I was Me. Gladly, I am me. So I am not changing my Plan 🙂

I prefer you look into your usage and see what is it that you need. What is it that you don't. Do you make those calls or just want it as a perk "just in case". I know i use to have a lot of "just in case" features, but I ended up never using them.
Look at your history of usage, see where you are trending at. It might shed some light in other plans.
Because there are Non-ShareEverything Plans that are cheaper that might work for you greatly.

Just food for thought. 🙂
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

But my credits are expiring in August and September so the monthly plan will be what it is now without any discounts - $70.  How can I take advantage of a BYOD credit without disrupting that?  You say not to change, I understand, but when my credits expire, I won't reap the benefits of having a BYOD.  Doesn't seem fair.

I went online and went through the motions of upgrading this device as the line has a promotion that if you upgrade, there is a 0 balance to pay on the existing phone.  I chose a phone then was asked if I wanted to keep the exixting plan, which it allowed.

So, if I upgrade the device on a new 2 year contract, I'm able to maintain the $70 plan and continue.  But if I want to simply pay off my device and apply the BYOD credit, I have to change plans to a more expensive one.

My point is this;  The current plan that I have ($70) is adequate for my usage.  By paying out my device balance, there is no more subsidy for the phone so the push to move to a share everything plan is inconsequential.  I am now "bringing my own device", that should be worth something.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

You are allowed to keep your old plan depending on what price point it is and still do a HUP for Voice only Phones and Smart Picks Phones. $70 I believe meets their "minimum threshold" but it does not benefit from ShareEverything or Subsidy pricing structure you are speaking of.

Believe me, I know what you are saying. I am not doubting on HOW it should be, but what I am saying is, WHAT it is...

Pricing is a very sensitive topic to a lot of customers... (myself included).

The reason the new ShareEverything Plan benefit from BYOD/SmartPicks/SmartPhone pricing structure, Shomi, Game Centre Live, Roam Like Home is because the pricing matches the benefit the customer reaps from it but at the same time, doesn't make business take blows on their target goal (whatever that may be, which i have no idea on).

This is for any Carrier in North America. Why do people hear, "They want to get me off the old plan" a lot? The answer isn't as simple, but from a consumer point, it doesn't matter.

The old plan you have is very much not going to benefit from the BYOD pricing which was one of the direct focus for ShareEverything Plan.

It's the same thing as saying, I have a Gym Membership for a long time, and a new room of "Premium" machine is launched by the company, but requires a new membership plan. Which has the benefits and customizes time usage of this new room and services.
I want the benefits but not move into new membership.

These things happen everywhere.
but like I said, the point you are making isn't debatable. Because you are right. you SHOULD get a BYOD price point for the older plan, but what the reality is, BYOD fully launched AFTER your plan, 1.5 years (or slight more) ago fully.
Before then, the pricing weren't even the same as they are now. They weren't $20 cheaper. They were $10 cheaper only - same price as SmartPicks (Because SmartPicks were essentially Voice-Only and Entry Level Phones only, all other phones were 'preimum' like Samsung Mega) - Splitting 3 tier and adding BYOD (4th tier) is newer than your plan (I am again Assuming, I know nothing of your plan, and basing this on General Knowledge)

All old plans that become grandfathered, and are called "grandfathered" because if any changes is made, the grandfather plan will break its back and crumble and go to the grave (so to speak), and must be replaced with a newer plan. Codings aren't compatiblewith old plans and some features won't work.

So going back to your point. "Subsidy" savings. Is New. Before it was fixed pricing regardless if you had your own phone or had it subsidized.

1 of my line that i mentioned earlier, can't be put into BYOD plan. So my only option is to get hardware upgrades on it, and reap its benefit while I can and use my other lines on BYOD because they aren't renewing their terms. (which is a whole another complicated issue)

Bottom Line:
What you are looking to do is Benefit from Old Plan Pricing AND get benefit of BYOD pricing from new plan structure.

I don't think that's how it works.

- I hope I am saying this clearly, I was mostly typing as if I was talking.
Does this clarify anything?
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hey there. I thought I would chime in here.

As per information we have been told on our end, we are only offering the BYOD pricing to customers who activate services with their own device. If a customer who was on a subsidized plan (Smartphone/Smartpicks) finishes their term, we can put them on a cheaper plan but we are not supposed to be changing them to BYOD plans.

One of the moderators or experts can correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm sure this is correct information.