Constantly Disconnecting, support told me no fix.... Help?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Constantly Disconnecting, support told me no fix.... Help?

Hi guys, these last 2+ weeks have been aggravating with Rogers. I keep getting random disconects wether I'm gaming or just on the net browsing. About 1 week ago I called into Rogers and the customer support agent did some diagnosis and couldn't find that I had a bad connection or anything even though I kept dropping multiple times within an hour sometimes. He suggested that I exchange my modem and try directly connecting to power outlets as opposed to power bars. So I did both.... The problem remains.

I don't know what to do anymore. I am not using routers as I only have 1 pc. I have tried countless outlets, my cables are connected properly. I have been a customer to many years and had never had an issue like this. The fact that 'nothing' can be done as they say is quite frankly a joke, obviously something triggered this issue.

Anyways sorry for the rambling, does anybody have suggestions? I am lost for options, thanks.

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Constantly Disconnecting, support told me no fix.... Help?

Do you have a current up to date virus scanner? Is there anyone you can borrow a laptop from and try to reproduce the issue with another computer?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I use Avira, and not atm I don't have anybody nearby to borrow a laptop from. All I know is I'm about to lose it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I guess when the internet goes down try rebooting your computer and see if that fixes it.. That way should point to a computer problem and not the connection...

Also check the modem and see what lights are on to see if the modem still thinks it's online or not..
I Plan to Stick Around

It has dropped 15 times in counting just today ! While gaming.. It drops quickly and comes up within 1 minute, it seems there some kind of sensitivity. Any ideas? What are my options? Rogers pretty much told me that bringing in a tech would do **bleep** all

I'm a Senior Advisor

Without knowing if it is a computer or connection problem it is pretty hard to tell...
Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

What is the make and model of your modem?  If you have the SMC you can try exchanging it at any Rogers video plus store to try the Cisco Docsis 3.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a tech coming in Saturday hopefully this can be resolved and I'm not told the same garbage as by the reps via phone and live chat. Good day, thanks for the replies so far.

I'm Here A Lot

It's eerie... you describe the exact same situation I've experienced... from the support recommendations that were given, the fact that I've also been a long term customer with no issues until the same time frame, and that nothing else is wrong with my setup (quadruple checked).

Around the same time that the issue started occurring I got a notification that my internet had been "upgraded" from 25 Mbps to 32 Mbps (I have extreme plus). Can I be downgraded a couple times so it starts working again?

I'm strongly considering TekSavvy, the WoW throttlingthread is recommending from a large number of users that switching has solved all issues, even though TekSavvy cable uses the Rogers backbone still. That thread also has a couple of people who started having issues in the same time frame.

I Plan to Stick Around

^ I'm  def in the same boat as you. I am so sick of this. The problem went away for awhile and now for the last 3 days I have averaged about 15 disconnects. I think I'm going to cancel soon and consider techsavvy also if this isn't fixed. It's a shame, no idea what is wrong. Went 7+ years without a problem and Rogers won't even admit there is an issue. Because it's fine on "their end".