cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly Disconnecting, support told me no fix.... Help?

ushy86
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi guys, these last 2+ weeks have been aggravating with Rogers. I keep getting random disconects wether I'm gaming or just on the net browsing. About 1 week ago I called into Rogers and the customer support agent did some diagnosis and couldn't find that I had a bad connection or anything even though I kept dropping multiple times within an hour sometimes. He suggested that I exchange my modem and try directly connecting to power outlets as opposed to power bars. So I did both.... The problem remains.

I don't know what to do anymore. I am not using routers as I only have 1 pc. I have tried countless outlets, my cables are connected properly. I have been a customer to many years and had never had an issue like this. The fact that 'nothing' can be done as they say is quite frankly a joke, obviously something triggered this issue.

Anyways sorry for the rambling, does anybody have suggestions? I am lost for options, thanks.

***edited labels***

81 REPLIES 81

Re: Constantly Disconnecting, support told me no fix.... Help?

H2013
I'm Here A Lot
Same issue here.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Best thing to try, if you are using just the gateway and are having problems is to try doing bridged mode, often eliminates a lot of the problems like the disconnects.

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

Same problem here (Northern NewBrunswick) started yesterday around 6.

The internet cuts out every XX:18.   (6:18, 7:18. 8:18 up till just 10 mins ago 9:18am)

Using HitronTech fisherprice looking 9ft wireless range router

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

Just disconnected again 10:18

Fun fun fun

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok last post for me 😃 

Disc again 11:18

Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

This is an ongoing issue for me as well. Happens all the time with Rogers.  

I have two connections in one house and they drop at the same time as well. It is a Rogers issue, but it is one they won't admit too because it would bother a lot of people. 

Basically they are cutting corners to save money on bandwith. Problem is, people start getting dropped because of overloaded nodes. Too save money they will combine nodes, and ignore the issue that is created. People getting dropped every time the modem goes to refresh their IP, because the node currently has no IP's available, you get placed into a new node (Which is the D/C). 

Rogers just sucks. 

**edited for content**

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

AH I see, and that would make sense. Cut off any un attended downloads going on would be a tactic I would not put pass them

I will give them a call just to see what spin they will try to put on this. 

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

well I called, 

I was told to call back, our systems are not working at this time.

So I guess their not able to ensure uptime for their support either.

Few more months and contract is over...

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
I'm guessing you are running into an issue I had a week or two ago. What Rogers does when it is doing maintenance in an area is set the DHCP lease time to 1 hr. If everything is working fine this should not be an issue as every half life of the lease your computer or router will grab a new or renew the lease.

My router was not successful in renewing the lease and would keep trying each halflife sometimes it would work but more often then not it would fail. This would cause a disconnect every hour as my router honoured the lease and would give up the IP and disconnect.

Now you can try to remove your router out of the mix but thats freakin annoying..

Bad news not much you can do. Good news once the maintenance is done the lease will go back to 7 days and you should be fine.

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

Still disconnecting every hour on the hour today. now for some reason it's every 40mins into the hour.

Maybe I need to bridgeMode the Fisherprice modem... that would explain why I seem to be the only one shouting about this

sg232
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having issues too, but it seems like a DNS server issue. Every couple hours or so my internet drops. I called them and said my area is fine and the usual.

I switched the current Rogers DNS server to OpenDNS and for the past week I have had excellent connection with no dropouts *knocks on wood*. Rogers does seem to have DNS related issues

I moved to Woodbridge in 2006 and my internet has been working great the 4-5 years with an occasional dropout or two, but recently just having too many problems with dropouts - almost 4-5 a day. They increase their price every year, yet their quality goes down. I work from home and depend on staying connected with clients for file uploads and transfers.

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

Was still disconnecting at every 60 mins today and my friend that lives way across town also documented the same issue

Called them and the TSR said, I've seen many calls like this lately and I will push this up to networking or something...

So.... yeah maybe, finally someone is admitting a fault on their end...

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Heinzy_NB wrote:

So.... yeah maybe, finally someone is admitting a fault on their end...

Well, congrats to Rogers.

After ONLY almost 3 months of disconnection issues their crack team of service reps  finally figured out there was an issue. That's top notch network diagnostics done in record time.

And it only took days and days of phone reports for the front line CSR to conclude he should 'push this up to networking or something...'

Just an AWESOME job Rogers. Just flippin' AMAZING.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Heinzy_NB
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a quick update. 3 mins ago was my crash time and it disconnected.

Spent all last night gaming with my buddy from across town and we would nag each other by counting down who's turn was next to be disconnected for me it was every 40mins20ish seconds into the hour and for him it was every 22mins15ish seconds.

We had it down to almost 5 seconds. This is turning out to be funny, almost like rolling blackouts when a country can't keep there power up 100% of the time. 

Oh well what can you do but to wait out your contract right.

lbuskin
I've Been Around

my tenant is having this problem. me and my parents have not experienced this issue, as i believe it is because we are not using wireless but connected through ethernet cables. so far i have narrowed causes to either rogers doing maintenance in the area or dns issues, or router issues.

but seriously this type of service interuption is typical of rogers. over the years we have experienced frustration after frustration. the only problem is that other people i've talked to with different isps (like bell) seem to have experienced similar if not worse issues.

i don't remember having problems like this using dial-up. sure i probably wasn't using the internet as much but for some reason i remember it as being dependable... and when something went wrong, you knew what the problem was.

this dumb 'oh, the internet's down for whatever random reason...' strikes me as incredibly unproffesional of rogers.

if rogers isn't aware that performing maintenance causes service issues, they should be. they should send out an email to people who are potentially affected by stoppages, warning them in advance, so at least people would know why their internet isn't working.

any time you have a problem its 'oh, let's replace your modem', as if that's the problem, when it's clear it's not a hardware issue on our end but obviously rats chewing on the mess of cables in the rogers server rooms.

this is stupid. incredibly stupid. rogers needs to get their act together. get on top of what's going wrong and stay there.

or i guess they could write the whole thing off saying: "oh, it's not our problem. we just provide a service. making sure that our service is performing correctly isn't OUR problem" which, frankly, is childish and borderline insulting.

i think everyone here has established that the problem isn't on our end. rogers needs to be responsible for its servers and the service it provides.

people pay $200 a month for internet service, not for static and white noise.

don't get me wrong, rogers has made service improvements, it just annoys me when i see them still making the same mistakes. people depend on the internet in ways that they don't depend on cable tv, or even the telephone. i'm not saying rogers is doing anything wrong but i am saying that they should be doing things better, and for what they charge i think they owe their customers better service.

they need to shape up. get everyone who works for them on the same page. familiar with the technology and how the technology works. simplify and streamline their services if they need to, because, to be honest, it's not working, and just throwing a pail of water at a time on a burning house isn't going to put the fire out.

at the least, they could provide customers with a pamphlet upon signing up for rogers high speed internet or recieving their modem saying 'these are some common problems with this device or our services and here are some common fixes', which should at least serve to salve customers' inevitable anxiety caused by undependable service.

jeremy

edit: the issue was resolved by restarting the router 🙂 sorry for the rant.

jronald
I Plan to Stick Around
For the past we days my internet has been disconnecting constantly. The modem actually loses connection and needs to be restrated. Sometimes I can solve the issue by releasing and renewing IP. Other times it resolves itself. The modem is running in bridged mode and I have anther router running the wireless for it. This has happened to me many times over the past few years. It comes and goes. My internet will be rock solid for a month and then for another month it will be nothing but constant disconnects.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jronald on your router go to the status tab and check the wan section. What is the lease time? Try renewing it until it changes what is the new time?

My bets Rogers is doing work in your area and has set the time to 1HR. This should not be an issue but rogers dhcp servers don't seem to be good at renewing leases so you are probably expiring and dropping off.

jronald
I Plan to Stick Around
It has nothing to do with the lease time, as this is not happening hourly or on a timely schedule. Its random and I find it buckles when heavy browsing, youtubing or downloading. I have another thread which details my problems. My guess is that it has to do with my line running to my house.

jronald
I Plan to Stick Around
However you are right it does say 1 hour.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I bet if you watch it in half an hour you will see it continue to count down instead of renew at the halflife like it should. Then I bet you will see it count down to 0 and you will disconnect.

At least this is my experience while Rogers is doing work in my area. I think the renew just fails way too often no idea why. Given a regular lease of 1 week it has many chances (I'm sure someone could do the math) to get a new ip. But with a 1hr lease it trys at 30 min, 15min, 7.5min, 3.75min, 1.875min, 0.9375 min.... etc..  (I could be wrong but that is about the jist of it)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958919.aspx

Looks like we have trouble getting a response from rogers dhcp server and so we run out of time and drop the IP.

jronald
I Plan to Stick Around
I renewed it 10 times now it says O.
Topic Stats