Constant disconnects for the last couple of days

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Constant disconnects for the last couple of days

Tks, Datalink. I do keep calling. For my wife, these outages mean work-related problems, so it's serious for us.

It's a cruel irony that, in the face of the worst service that I've seen in 30+ years, Rogers increased my monthly bill by 5% over last month. Pay more for less - Rogers new motto. 

rye_encoke
I'm a Regular

Neither the modem or anything really that is in any way connected to the modem or computer is running hot.  The disconnects can last for 10 seconds or maybe as long as 3 minutes....maybe a bit longer...but most are less than a minute.  The thing is that I don't always notice the internet is down right away unless I am watching a video or something.  The disconnects are random and not at any particular time.  I can have a handful happen in a single hour or I can go for 5 hours and have none.   It is completely random.

My cable has had no problems at all, nothing.  We are in a large apartment building but haven't asked anyone else if they are having problems.  Most of the other residents are elderly though so not even sure any of them would have a computer or internet.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you get an outage, call tech support.  Maybe you will get one that is long enough that tech support can look at your modem and others running on the same node as well.  If that happens, troubleshooting the problem will be a lot easier, but it requires you to be proactive and get tech support involved.  I see from another one of your posts that you declined a service call.  Personal opinion, the only way this is going be resolved is to get a tech into the building to look at your cabling and at the cable distribution system in the building.  Apartments have proven to be a challenge from the recent posts that have come up, so that is going to require persistence on your part to keep the techs involved until the problem is solved.  Intermittent problems can be difficult to resolve, but don't give up on it.  Speed dial can be really useful in these situations....

RogersShaun

I'd just like to echo what @Datalink said. With internet, while a lot of issues can be self diagnosed and resolved, a good portion do require a technician visit as there might be some underlying issue that can only really be resolved on site.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

While I am not the guy who refused a service all, I would like to mention that it is somewhat troubling when asking for the service tech to come out. Rogers would not tell me if I would be charged for the call. In the end, I was not. However, when I booked the call, I was told that, if the problem turned out to be with my owned equipment, I would be charged, even if I declined to have the tech fix the problem. Since the homeowner cannot know where the problem is, it's a crap shoot. The tech gets to say where the problem is, I am not technically competent to disagree, and I am charged if the tech says it's my equipment. The problem could still be present, and I pay anyway.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only way that you should or would be charged for the call would be if your own equipment is the source of the problem.  So if you were using a power bar that was emitting a large amount of RF noise, as has come up in other posts, or you ran the RG-6 cable through a surge arrestor which then caused problems, or maybe you were using a third party router or firewall that was not configured properly, then in cases such as that, yep, its customer owned equipment that is at fault.  But, if you were a typical end user with pc's connected to the modem ports, and via wireless, and you had checked the ethernet cable and it was fine or replaced with a good cable, then you should not expect any charges to be incurred.  Same situation with the cabling.  If you have not installed your own splitters or cabling, and everything is basically as it was originally installed by a tech, then you should not be incurring any charges.  So, with the original cable configuration, and without any extraneous equipment such as routers, firewalls, etc, you shouldn't have problems calling in a tech.

If you were for example using a third party router or firewall and seeing problems, switching back to a simple network arrangement of modem only and confirming that the problem still exists would point out that the problem is not with your equipment.  For purposes of a tech visit, that configuration should be maintained so that the tech can troubleshoot the cable portion of the system.

RogersMoin

Hello @ , I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused due to frequent disconnections. I would like to help resolve the issue and I have sent a PM to you.

As far the as Truck roll goes, there is no charge to the Customer provided the cable was not tampered like adding a splitter or amplifier, the modem was not relocated, the issue is not due to Customer's own equipment. I just notice @Datalink echoed the same points for potential charge for the tech visit

RogersMoin

Hi, @

I’d like to help. We have sent you a PM, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

RogersMoin

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogersmoin: Tks, I've replied

Datalink: Tks again for your advice. I do understand what you are saying. I was just trying to put myself in someone's shoes who may refuse the tech visit. To use me for an example, I have not changed the configuration that was first installed in my house, EXCEPT I have switches to allow me to connect more devices to the modem. (I do not use wireless.) So, I understand that if the switch goes funky and is the cause of an outage, that's on my nickel. That's fair. I was only pointing out that, in some cases, I cannot test myself to determine where the problem is. (The bad switch is a bad example, since I can simply connect directly to the modem to eliminate it as a problem source.) However, the problem could be something as simple as a bad connector on the cable that was installed by Rogers 13 year ago. I could go out, buy another cable, and test it that way, but how much can/should I do before I have to turn it over to the tech?

I am the guy who did go for the home tech visit. I was simply trying to put out there a reason why people may be reluctant to accept one.

To use another example, when my house was built, a telephone jack was installed in a box outside my house. When I started having phone troubles some years ago, Bell told me to connect a phone to that jack. If I got a dial tone, the problem was inside my house and was my problem. (They would send a tech, but I would pay.)  If I didn't get a dial tone, the problem was outside the house and was their problem.  Nice and black and white.

I apologize to the OP for taking this so far off this topic. I'll shut up now.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

🙂  Its all good.  No apologies required.  I'm in the same boat, with an RT-AC68U router and D-Link switch.  If something goes wrong, back it goes to the original configuration, which isn't a big deal.