Constant disconnects for the last couple of days

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Constant disconnects for the last couple of days

I live in London Ontario and for the last couple days I have been getting constant disconnects.  Every 2 to 5 minutes the internet will disconnect for anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds.  I am on a desktop with a Cisco modem.  I am wondering if it is just the current weather and if others are having the same problem.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Constant disconnects for the last couple of days

gwiki..

I think alot comes down to the TECH.  Yeah.. you get a mean, having a bad day tech.. they could try and screw you over regardless of the problem.

But generally, if they are sending a tech out.. its due to an issue that there is an intermitant signal issue, etc.. they should only be touching the rogers side of things.. nothing past the router really.
As long as you have not put your own splitters there, etc.. they shouldnt be charging you for it being a problem you introduced.

I have had techs out who knows how many times... over MANY MANY years of service.. and never once been charged for a call. 
Let them put all splitters, cables, lines in place, etc.. there is an issue.. let them replace them.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might be the weather.

Are you able to log in and get the signal levels?

Might be a good sign of if the line is having issues

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

No idea how to get signal levels.

When it is working, it works great.  And actually so far this morning I have had only 3 disconnects and they were all from early this morning.  So it seems to be getting better.

I think I am gonna go with the weather being the problem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To get to the signal levels, log into the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page.  You will see two tables, one for the downstream signal levels and one for the upstream.  Copy those tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how they look when they paste in.  I can sort them out if necessary.  It would be good to see two sets of data, one for when you have internet connectivity, and one when you lose connectivity.

Is your external cable an overhead cable, or underground.  If its overhead from a pole, over time, it does weather and suffer from mechanical wear and tear as it can get blown around by the wind.  Underground cables also fail over time, and in both cases, the external connectors need replacing from time to time.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

here are the levels during regular time.  when I lose connection I am not able to login to the modem to get the levels, it just times out

Downstream Channels         

Power Level:      Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1: -0.2 dBmV   41.4 dB

Channel 2: -0.2 dBmV   41.8 dB

Channel 3: -0.2 dBmV   41.9 dB

Channel 4: -0.5 dBmV   41.4 dB

Channel 5: -0.6 dBmV   41.5 dB

Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV    41.5 dB

Channel 7: -0.4 dBmV   41.0 dB

Channel 8: -0.6 dBmV   41.4 dB

Upstream Channels           

Power Level:

Channel 1: 45.9 dBmV

Channel 2: 46.2 dBmV

Channel 3: 47.2 dBmV

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your downstream signal levels and signal to noise ratios are fine, the upstream levels are a little elevated, they should be in the 36 to 40 dBmV range normally.  Are you on a wired or wireless connection and seeing the disconnects?  Its very strange that you can't log into the modem when the disconnects occur.  Just to be clear, by losing the connection, is that to imply internet connection only, or normally, or disconnection from the modem?  It looks, from your comments that you can't connect to the modem, which on a wired connection is really unusual.  The only reason that I can see for that would be if the modem was restarting and reconnecting to the internet.  At the restart time, your pc wouldn't have a valid IP address and the modem would be busy restarting and not at the point where it can connect with anything.  If you can watch the modem at that point in time, try to determine if the modem appears to be restarting.  The only time I ever had that happen was when the external cable was failing, which was annoying at first as there would be a fail, automatic modem restart, run until the next fail, automatic modem restart, etc, etc, until the cable failed completely.  But right up to that failure day, both the cable and modem were rock solid. Replace the cable, and everything was rock solid again.  What you are seeing leads me to think, cable, modem, or modem power supply, in that order.  One of those three has a problem that requires sorting out.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

It is resetting. 

I also have a huge log file when I login to the modem.  All kinds of  these

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=60:2a:d0:85:43:7d;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:a3:65;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

followed by

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=60:2a:d0:85:43:7d;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:a3:65;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

followed by

MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=60:2a:d0:85:43:7d;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:a3:65;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

over and over and over...never stopping.  the first two messages say under level Critical 3 and the last message says Warning 5

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received" is  a request by the modem to the Cable Modem Termination System for a routine maintenance period for timing and frequency control.  When a response isn't received by the modem within the allocated time period, the modem raises an alert and carries on.  So, either the CMTS can't see the request, or its busy, which may point to a node issue.  I would have to look up the next one, but its probably very similar. 

Is the modem or the power brick running hot at all, and does the modem have adequate air circulation to keep it cool?

When you get a disconnect, is it long enough that you could actually speed dial tech support and see if they can interrogate the modem.  If so, that is what I would be doing at every opportunity.

Do you have any other Rogers services, and if so, do you see any issues with them as well?

Lastly, where are you located,in an apartment or house?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I cannot address the technical stuff, but we have had more short outages since Christmas that in the previous 30 some odd years with Rogers combined - no exaggeration. A couple of weeks ago, I posted here, took the advice and had a tech to the house. He replaced some cable ends outside and put an attenuator on the modem, and that has worked until this week.

This week, the issue is bigger, it seems. We lose internet and the TV  signal goes fuzzy. Rogers says that they can see the issue is neighbourhood-wide. Yesterday, they said that all was well and I got the auto  phone call telling me how good they were. This morning, it was gone again. Rogers CSR says, yup, same issue as yesterday. They really didn't fix it, they just cobbled something together. I can expect intermittent outages until at least 2:30pm today.

Since they don't know what is wrong, I can't see how they can give a time for fixing it, but who knows?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, it looks like the situation has their attention at this point.  But, don't let up on them.  If you have an outage, call tech support.  Keep calling and make sure the outages are logged on the file, no matter what the problem is, internet or tv.  You should also be asking for credits on your account for loss of service.