Constant PVR Recording Issues since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Constant PVR Recording Issues since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

I just posted this in another thread. Hope this helps.

One thing you may want to check is whether or not your series is set to record all episodes or new episodes only. I had the same problem if I set the series to new episodes. If that fixes the problem, you may want to go into settings and change the default preference on you PVR from new to all as well. Btw, when scheduling new series, you may run into a problem with the first episode if it is less than 2 days away from the time you set the recording. I believe there is a message to that effect at the bottom of the screen before you hit save. Like the search function, it may have something to do with the boxes populating the guide.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Constant PVR Recording Issues (and rebooting) since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

The problems I'm having are worse than just the system being slow or inconvenient.   Since the upgrade, none of the items on my the external drive are visible.  I have 160 shows that I've saved to watch over the summer that I can't access because they don't show up on the guide.  They're not gone--the % free is right on the money--they're just not visible.  But a few days after the upgrade I could at least still record shows.  Now my PVR reboots if I try to stop a current recording, it reboots at 7:59, 8:59, 9:59 and at any other point where I've tried to record something and the PVR tries to save it and can't.  It also reboots if I'm watching a regular channel and two recorded items are going to start. 

At first, I had a technician come who suggested that I call Cisco.  Since it's obviously a software problem, I declined to do so knowing Cisco wouldn't be able to help.  Another rep suggested that Rogers shouldn't be responsible for anything beyond the PVR.  Well, I chose that model because I could have an external drive and was sold both things at once.  I don't see that as a valid point of view as the machine is meant to work with an external drive.  Had I been warned to avoid the upgrade if I had a peripheral, I wouldn't have taken it.  (I use some Apple products, but with them I have never had any trouble with upgrades. I've never had my iPod be unable to play songs or been unable to put more material on iTunes. I haven't had iTunes reboot every hour on the hour.)

I'm hoping that because the software upgrade "broke" it, that Rogers will fix it sooner rather than later.    Right now I have a very expensive piece of equipment that doesn't function as well as the cheapest cable box around.  I have called a few times now (nobody has volunteered to provide me with an update), and so far they say that a patch is being worked on but nobody is willing to tell me when I can expect a fix.  I have contacted corporate communications, but I have not heard back from then either.  I've Tweeted.  I have asked for a loaner until this matter can be resolved, but I had no luck on that front either. 

But I can't be the only person having this trouble with the upgrade.  What are others in a similar situation doing to cope with this problem?  Have any of you been given a date or a contact? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Constant PVR Recording Issues (and rebooting) since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

I could be wrong.
But i thought i do remember reading something about the external drives, and the new IPG.
Its something to do.. with the format, or something.
That the old shows, format of the drive, etc.. is different.. that the new IPG cant read it.
If the drive is formated, there shouldnt be a problem writing to it... but the stuff that is on it, is not recoverable (only viewable on the old IPG)

Now i could be wrong on that.. its just what i do remember hearing.. assuming my memory isnt failing.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So I thought I'd follow up on what's happened since I've initially posted. 

I've contacted Rogers several times to see if I could get anybody interested in solving the problem.  I've tweeted, I've talked to a couple of very nice phone reps (who claimed they would compensate me for the period of the outage but didn't and still haven't) and I've had no luck with either approach. 

I've had a "super tech" come to my house.  He tried all the same things I've already tried and wouldn't even hook his equipment up to check the software with my PVR, so effectively didn't really try to fix the problem. 

I've also emailed an executive begging for help.  I haven't had even the courtesy of a reply from him after several days, not even a form letter back. 

Keep in mind, the absolute, indisputable cause of this issue was the upgrade.  Rogers destroyed my property by making those shows unwatchable and by making my drive now unusable.  (If the tech had spilled coffee on it, I wonder if the response would have been different.)     If I had to replace the recordings and the drive, we'd be talking about hundreds of dollars even if they were replacable.  .  

I realize that this is "only TV" but we all pay a lot for it and it should work.   I have several services with Rogers, but after this, I'm looking at other options.   The level of apathy and the unwillingness to get even a response sometimes let alone actual help is just too discouraging. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The techs have nothing to connect to your box.

Their hardware, only connect to the lines, can check signals to the box, etc.  Beyond that, they can go into some of the settings on the box, and check levels, software versions, etc..but thats about it.

From everything that i have looked up, formating the drive, will likely get the drive to work again.. but, everything will be lost.

If the drive is rendered unusable period, actualy wrecked.. i could see you having a case, for them to replace the extender.

But as for the value of the recorded shows? $0.  Being that they are broadcast, etc.. while yes we pay fees to rogers to watch them, we have no ownership over what was broadcast, and therefore recorded.

You buy a DVD, you OWN that.. your dvd player snaps the disk.. yes, there is a value of what was distroyed.  But unfortunately, the recordings have no value themselves.

Does it suck?  Oh totaly.. i wont argue that.  With the old 8300's, i went through.. 5 boxes in 4 years.. all hard drive problems.  I have lost many recordings, many times, and understand how bad it sucks.

In the end, i do understand, if you did choose to go with someone else.. that is completely within your right.

But do remember.. its not necessarily only a rogers thing.  While the competitors deals may look great, in the long run they will prove if their service is the same..  in the long run, personaly, have had worse dealings with competitors in the past.  the least of all evils? 😛

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Wonder if CBC Marketplace could investigate the new krappy PVR.
I have both the silver one (8300) and the new black one (8642). What a difference.
The manufacturer, CISCO, should be be ashamed of releasing a box with so many flaws.
And it has not got any better since Rogers stuck us with this disaster 2 years ago.
It does not take 2+ years to get software right.
There must be a fundamental flaw in the design of this lemon.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Everyone's experience is different. Disregarding the IPG which you can get the old on the new box.
I have had a much better time with the new box. 2 years and minimal reboots. The 8300, I had to exchange 5 in 4 years

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So here's the next followup.  Good to see some reponse on this Gdkitty! 

Finally I got a call back, this time from the "Office of the Presdent".  (Of course, that's code for the poor Customer Service reps who have to deal with escalations.)  The response was not much different than what I've heard before, but here are some highlights:

- Rogers absurdly STILL won't admit that the software was the cause of the problem

- Rogers claims that they own the recordings not me (fair enough--they probably wrote their terms and conditions that way)so that therefore I have no loss (maybe not a tanglible one, but this did really suck!) 

- They're willing to give me a month's worth of free service (wow--the generosty is overwhelming!) but not without me digging up the warranty on the extended drive and on the PVR itself, NEITHER OF WHICH HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM. 

You're probably right about the techs, Gdkitty.  But I'm not so sure about my hard drive--I haven't yet seen the "reformat your drive?" message when reconnecting the drive no matter how I sequence the reboots.  I can only "tape" about 20 shows before the DVR is full now.  Not so cool when I go on vacation.  I'm also seeing if an outside company can hack the thing and get my shows back.  Doubtful, I know...

Earlier I did mention Apple and how they just seem to do better.  Well, last week I took my iPhone into the Apple store because the click button wasn't working.  I had an appointment which I made same-day, was seen on time, the guy did a quick test, told me that the phone was under extended waranty, and gave me a new one on the spot.  I was out of there in under 15 minutes 100% satisfied.  I told the guy that this was one of the best customer service experiences in a long time and thanked him.   He told me how sad he thought that was! 

I'm also disheartenend with your take on the competition although you're almost certainly right.  I guess with so few players, why try harder?  I am waiting for the day Netflix Canada gets serious.  Apple TV is also starting to look better and better...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know a few people who have droped TV for just netflix. or apple TV.

They are fine.. depending on your viewing habbits.
If you like watching ANYTHING current, current series, etc.. your not going to find them there 😞

They have a LONG time to come, as they often get the righte MUCH later at this time.

As for back to your problem..  i am not an expert on the external drives.. all i know about them i have learned 3rd  party, as i do not own one myself (though will be setting one up soon).

Unfortunatley, i have not been able to find a way to RE format the drive..  only think i could think would be to connect it to a PC that can read it, format it there, then when back on the rogers box, may ask to format it again.

If the extender is still under warranty, have you tried to see if you can make a claim on it to swap it?

Sorry wish i could be of more help 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

Um yes exactly all the same issues. When I called Rogers they couldn't really help.  I've been struggling with this for  months.  I may swap the box out, and see what happens.