Constant Disconnecting.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Constant Disconnecting.

I've been having an issue where I lose all internet access for up to an hour at a time. This happens most frequently in the evening. I'm getting tired of this. What is going on? What information do I need to give to have this fixed?

***edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: Constant Disconnecting.

Rogers used to provide decent internet service.  Now my internet is down more often than it is up.  This is not what I'm paying for Rogers.  When are you going to start providing the service I'm paying for?

I'm an Advisor

@Plr1313:

Hey, how about telling us how you connect to the Internet, the type of computer equipment you are using, what you are doing when the disconnects occur, what sort of troubleshooting you have done already, what if any interaction you have had with Rogers support.........

skinorth

I've Been Around

I have been having issues with random disconnects and packet loss for close to a year, but for the last few weeks the issues have been extreme.Every evening I use the internet for Skype calls, games with friends, Netfix, etc. But now it seems every evening I get disconnected from my Skype calls and games, and can't even load webpages, sometimes with connectivity issues lasting a few hours or more. Tests indicate frequent packet loss. Saturday evening my internet was unusable for over 2 hours, Sunday afternoon over 3 hours, a few shorter connectivity issues on Monday night, and last night again, I could not use internet for the better part of almost four hours beyond small, intermittent periods of a minute or two. When I call they say either my internet is fine at the moment so they can't ascertain what the problem is, or that my internet is not working currently so they can't ascertain what the problem is. I have had technicians visit, but of course everything is working fine when they are here. I connect directly from the modem to my desktop, not wirelessly. Was wondering if anyone was having any similar issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

It looks like you may have an ongoing external cable or connector problem.  They don't last forever, and usually end up causing a great deal of frustration as they fail.  Can you go to the following page and have a look at the DOCSIS WAN Downstream / Upstream data tables from my CGN3.  I'd like you to log into your modem and copy the same DOCSIS WAN tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't copy the IP address and other data above the Downstream table, just the tables themselves.  With that we can have a look at the signal power and signal to noise ratios. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

Here's a few more questions that will hopefully help to sort this out.

Which modem/router do you happen to have:  DPC3825, CGN3 or other?

What service plan are you on, Hybrid Fibre 10, 30, 60, 150, 250 or ultimate?

Do you have any other Rogers services, such as TV or Home Phone

And, where are you located?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WHere is the packet loss showing up exactly?

If local, what Datalink said, often comes into play. 
There have been a number on here, who have had just a simple cable or splitter/connector replaced, and it disapeared.
Heck there was even one recently who just unscrewed and re-tightened it into the back of the modem, and it was back to normal again Smiley Tongue

(packet loss futher out across the route.. thats a whole different ballgame)