Connectivity Issues - Primary DNS server not responding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Connectivity Issues - Primary DNS server not responding

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a very frustrating problem with my internet the past 4 days or so, and so far nothing I have done has fixed it. What happens is that when I begin to play an online game with a few friends (League of Legends), within about 20 minutes, our skype call drops and web pages stop loading. The confusing part is that the I can continue to play the online game, and according to the internet connectivity icon in my taskbar I am still connected to the internet. Only when I run a troubleshoot do I receive the "Primary DNS server not responding" error message, and I am then forced to wait 30 minutes or so until the internet returns.

I have tried this with both ethernet and wirelessly, it occurs regardless. I have also tried (1) changing from automatically acquiring a DNS to choosing a specific DNS server, (2) flushing dns and ip on the command prompt, (3) factory resetting the gateway and creating an entirely new connection, and (4) contacting Rogers support several times to no avail (apparently my connection is perfectly fine according to their tests). I also tried uninstalling the game and even after it was removed, I continued to experience periods of non-connectivity.

This is a very confusing problem for me because I don't understand how I lose connection in terms of skype calls ending and no longer being able to browse the web, but can still play the online game and appear connected to my internet.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, as I have spent hours upon hours trying to find a solution. Thanks.

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Connectivity Issues - Primary DNS server not responding

I would try factory resetting the gateway, if that doesn't work then try giving the callcenter a shout and see what they say

I'm Here A Lot

I appreciate the response, but as I said in my original post, factory reseting the gateway several times did nothing, and I've contacted Rogers agents several times without any fix.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you say changing the DNS.. you changed it on the gateway? Or on the device itself?

I am not 100% sure this IS a DNS issue per say.. sounds alot more like the dropouts that many people experience with these gateways.

Are you on wireless when this is happening? Or is there other wireless things going on when you are even wired in?

MOST peoples best solution with this.. is usually to put them gateway into bridged mode, and use their own 3rd party router.  Tends to not have the dropouts then, in many cases (but not always)

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the response. I have changed the DNS on both the gateway and each laptop, so far nothing has changed yet. I never really considered it to be a gateway issue because I just replaced this one on Sunday, and the issue was occuring on the old one as well as it is now on the new one...and according to Rogers our connection never actually goes out. If you think that is the best solution, I should give it a shot. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While its not OPTIMAL..and we SHOULDNT have to do it to fix it..

Its worth a shot, to see if you can remove the problem via that method.

As it is.. its not a FULL outage, hense why they wouldnt see it that way.. if they connected in and looked at the logs, would likely show the disconnect there.. and again, not a FULL disconnect.  More likely its like what some others have experienced where its more of a DHCP lease type issues on the modems end.