Connections for Haysville residents

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianunrau
I've Been Here Awhile

Connections for Haysville residents

I live in the hamlet of Haysville, Ontario, a few minutes outside of Kitchener.  GPS co-ords are Lat 43.3555, Long -80.6628.  There are about 50 houses in the town, all of whom live with substandard internet connections.  At this point in time, there is no cable or dsl service of any kind, and I am not interested in wireless based services, there is also no LTE coverage.  I am told, however, that Rogers has one of its main Fibre trunks running right through the town.  What would it take to tap into that line so that the residents would be able to get decent internet connections?  With the main line already being there, it doesn't seem that it should be overly difficult or costly.  I can guarantee at least 20 customers would sign on the day it became available.  If you needed us to sign in for 2 or 3 year contracts, I imagine most of us would be willing to do so.  Please help us join the 21st century, I had better internet service in 1999 than I have lived with for the past 8 years in Haysville.  I am willing to help in any way that I can.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connections for Haysville residents

The trunk, is the main feed/line from A to B.

It may go from the next closest main city which has services and their nodes there... across fiber optic usually, to the next place/node.

There would possibly be some fairly big costs to get the area up.
First thing being the major node.. to take it from the OPTICAL FIBER to then coax, etc possibly around the area.
Then the costs of COAX... if all power & other lines there are above ground, it may not be TOO bad... but if they are burried.. that can be a huge cost.... since none of that exists there when it was set up.

Its not as simple at just putting in a basic plitter places along the line to go to houses, etc.

For 50 people... unless ALL of them would be willing to change over..  the cost may not worth the return 😞

View solution in original post

All Replies
ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I am looking into this for you...

As far as I know, the area is marked as not serviable, but let me research around and see how does one make an area serviceable. I presume it will be request of somesort to be filed.
Yea, like you said most likely a contract involved... but like I said, i'll find out some more details first...
This is a question that is loaded with a lot of answers of "ifs". if that make sense?

Edit: Who advised you of Fibre trunks? (I am not even sure what a Trunk is, but I assume a Larger Node?)

Is it Network Node? Is it Consumer Node? Is it a connection running servers? Is it even Rogers?

The concern is, "someone" told you this, it doesn't confirm anything. But I can understand it would raise a question to ask around... which you have done.

I just did some research and I didn't find any Cable line / Fibre line 'footprint' (Region of Serviceable area), searched for Haysville and postal code: N3A 3C4; which is that region.

I got nothing.

I will still try to see if I can assist you in anyway, I would recommend however to speak to @CommunityHelps. <--Click on them, then private message them (In their profile, the message button is on the right-side menu)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The trunk, is the main feed/line from A to B.

It may go from the next closest main city which has services and their nodes there... across fiber optic usually, to the next place/node.

There would possibly be some fairly big costs to get the area up.
First thing being the major node.. to take it from the OPTICAL FIBER to then coax, etc possibly around the area.
Then the costs of COAX... if all power & other lines there are above ground, it may not be TOO bad... but if they are burried.. that can be a huge cost.... since none of that exists there when it was set up.

Its not as simple at just putting in a basic plitter places along the line to go to houses, etc.

For 50 people... unless ALL of them would be willing to change over..  the cost may not worth the return 😞

View solution in original post

brianunrau
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the replies and research. 

The first time that I heard that there was a fibre line (not sure if trunk was actually the word used, this was my word here) running through Haysville was when a Roger's technician was upgrading the internet connection at my office a few kilometres away in Petersburg.  I spoke with him about my situation at home, and he took my contact information and said he would try to get the right people in touch with me.  I never heard anything further, this was about 1.5 years ago.  The second time I heard it was very recently from a neighbour, not sure where he got his information, but his belief was that the lowest line on the poles in the attached picture are the fibre line.  This image is taken from google street view.

N3A 3C4 is my postal code, so you are on the right track.

Electrical connections in Haysville are overhead, phone line connections are underground, there is no cable/co-ax currently, and there are no gas lines either.  Typically in my area, Wilmot Township, Roger's runs all their lines above ground on the Kitchener Wilmot Hydro owned electrical (hydro for Ontarians) poles.

How might we go about putting together the build case to see at what point (how many subscribers and for how long) it becomes worth Roger's time?  Without committing to paying many thousands, as more and more services go online, my willingness to pay for a decent connection is getting pretty high.HaysvilleLines.jpg

brianunrau
I've Been Here Awhile

Picture attached again with identifying marks removed.

HaysvilleLines.jpg