Connection Issues - slowness and internet dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Connection Issues - slowness and internet dropping

Hi folks, 

There's a couple of issues I keep running into my home internet. 

First off, I've got the 500GB Extreme internet, CiscoDPC3825 modem, bridged toBelkin N600DB Wireless Router. 

And to top it off, I use unblock-us to get American Netflix (though I run into this issue when I'm not using their DHCP servers as well)

The issue I run into all the time is my Belkin router stops working. Typically it has a blue light when things are working fine. It'll often give me an orange light. When this happens, when I try to bring up any web page I'm taken to the wireless router page as well, and I ge ta message indicating it can't communicate with the modem/router. 

It varies in how often this happens. It can be daily, or every other day, for a few weeks at a time. Then I'll get it only once every other week for a while. I rarely go more than a week without it happening. 

The fix usually means unplugging the modem for 30 seconds, plug it back in, then unplug the router for 30 seconds and plug back in. Sometimes I need to do this with the router twice. Very rarely I need to do this with the modem twice. 

Any initial thoughts on what might cause that? I'd be happy to provide more details, just not sure what details you want. 

Second issue, I'm not getting the speeds I used to get. When we first had this hooked up, a year ago or so, I'd be getting 5-7MBS on speed tests. Now I'm luycky to get 3. Restarting as described in the steps above does not help. Any suggestions?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connection Issues - slowness and internet dropping

Can you flip the 3825 back into Gateway mode, and then navigate to STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN. When you are there please copy the Downstream and Upstream Channel data and paste them into this thread.  It sounds like you might have a problem with the external cable or connectors.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Another test should be once you flip dpc3825 into gateway mode, connect it directly to your computer to see if connection speed had increased.
I'm Here A Lot

Ugh. Felt like a total noob.

For the life of me I could not figure out how to switch out of bridge mode. I remember it taking a while when I set this up originally.

What I did was unplug the cable that runs from the modem to the router, plugged that cord into the laptop, and tried going to 192.168.2.1, which is what I thought the correct IP was. Didn't work. Looked up the IP on my computer and saw it was 95.252.something.something.... so I went to 95.252.2.1 it it brought me to a modem page. However, it has the modem listed as Sitecom ADSL2+Modem/Router 54G MIMO WL-154. So, not sure where that's ocming from... but once I started playing around it looked familiar so it must be it. 

Is this the upstream/downstream info you're looking for?

downstream     upstream

SNR Margin      26.8       23.7    db

Line Attenuation       15.0    11.3 db

Data rate    8128   478   kbps

When I did a speed test it was more than 10x faster plugged in

I'm Here A Lot

Interestingly enough, the wifi speed is about 3x faster than yesterday for some reason... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That looks a little strange. To switch the 3825 back into Gateway mode, press the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 10 seconds.  That will initiate the reset to Factory default and reboot. When it comes back up you should be able to log into into it using cusadmin as the user name, and the word password for the login password at 192.168.0.1.  What you should see on the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN page are two tables with the Downstream table showing 8 channels down and the Upstream showing 3 out of 4 channels running.  When you are there copy those tables and paste them into this thread.  That should only take a minute or two and then you can switch back into Bridge mode. You could run a speed test while your there by connecting a pc or laptop to one of the LAN ports. Once that is done, go back to Bridge mode, reconnect the pc or laptop and your done.

Its interesting that your speed was higher.  I wonder if you happen to have a loose or problematic cable, either the RG6 or ethernet cable?

To switch back to Bridge mode navigate to the Administration tab and change the Working Mode drop down from Router Mode to Bridge Mode.  I thought I had read somewhere that it now reads Disable the Residential Gateway mode.  Here's the Rogers guide page.  I'm not sure if its totally up to date:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/245?setLanguage=en

I came across the following interface listing for your router:  Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX(4)

It won't matter now, but if at some time you plan to upgrade to the CGN3 you will run into problems with the CGN3 limiting the throughput due to an internal bug that arises when the CGN3 connects to a 10/100 Mb/s port.  Even if the next firmware is out, which hopefully will correct that, you would still be limited to a maximum of 100 Mb/s due to the Belkin ports.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the help. I'll have to try it in a few days, out of town now. I'll update once I know more 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

To have access to cisco configuration page in bridge mode use 192.168.100.1

To reset the gateway hold reset button for at least 13 seconds.
I'm Here A Lot

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:

Completed

DOCSIS Ranging:

Completed

DOCSIS DHCP:

Completed

DOCSIS TFTP:

Completed

DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:

Completed

DOCSIS Privacy:

Enabled

Downstream Channels

Power Level:

Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1:

2.2 dBmV (power)

41.4 dB (signal to noise)

Channel 2:

2.2 dBmV

41.4 dB

Channel 3:

1.0 dBmV

39.9 dB

Channel 4:

0.7 dBmV

39.9 dB

Channel 5:

0.7 dBmV

39.9 dB

Channel 6:

1.4 dBmV

39.9 dB

Channel 7:

1.2 dBmV

39.9 dB

Channel 8:

1.2 dBmV

39.5 dB

Format got messed up in the paste. Is that the infor you're looking for?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes those are the Downstream numbers, and they look very good.  Can you do the same for the upstream data as well?