cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Swann DVR through modem

glfbal
I've Been Here Awhile

I would like to ask a question....

How can I connect my DVR thru the modem as I can not load the thumb drive to the Swann DVR.(or my Netflix)

I've attempted adding thhe MAC address but it seems to screw up the rest of my settings and I have to start from scratch..

Randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Connecting Swann DVR through modem

glfbal
I've Been Here Awhile

I read thru the instructions again, by changing my DDNS I was able to connect fine.

Thanks for all of the help... all is good.

Randy (glfbal)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there any requirement for port forwarding for the DVR?  If so, its possible that the Rogers modem/router won't do what you want it to do. 

Thats what i would think too.

You would want to make sure the SWANN is set with a static address
(best to set ON the device if you are able to)

you should be able to access it via it then internally, to pull stuff from it, etc.

To be able to access one outside, as Datalink said, likely requires port forwarding.

glfbal
I've Been Here Awhile

I know with my Linksys EA2700 router I did not have to port forward..(it is a hard line not wireless)

I've attempted to ping the ip address and everything yet can not see it at all

I just upgraded to the fiber on the weekend and the speeds are a lot better than the old extreme.

I may have to look at a cable splitter  + adaptor and run the old router just for my DVR and Netflix.

I would think that if you had any cable splitters already installed by the Rogers tech, they would be in place to service any and all Rogers modems that you may need, ie, internet, tv, and home phone.  You shouldn't have to install any other splitters at all, and keep in mind, that every splitter that is installed is typically a 3.5 or 7 dB drop in signal level depending on which splitter is installed and which port is used.  That might be enough to give you some trouble in terms of power levels to connected devices.  You might need to run your old router but that should be connected via ethernet. 

glfbal
I've Been Here Awhile

I read thru the instructions again, by changing my DDNS I was able to connect fine.

Thanks for all of the help... all is good.

Randy (glfbal)

View solution in original post