cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ConnectSense Temperature Sensor and Hitron CGN3 Router

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a wireless ConnectSense Temperature and Humidity Sensor to send me a warning if the house gets dangerously cold when I'm away in the winter.  I can easily connect the sensor to a Bell FiberOp system and it works great, no problems.  However I changed to a Rogers bundle this Spring and it's been a no-go getting it to work through the Rogers Hitron CGN3 router.  It looks like it sees the router but it's not getting to the internet.

The ConnectSense device has the following requirement:

The following network protocols are used to communicate with the cloud server, please check to ensure the router is configured to allow these protocols:

HTTPS (port 443), using GET, PUT, and POST operations
FTP (for software updates)

Unfortunately, for me, network protocols are some strange form of Black Magic.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Gerry

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ConnectSense Temperature Sensor and Hitron CGN3 Router

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, I want to thank all that have been feeding me hints.  While none directed me exactly to the solution I worked out, they all helped.

What I did was set up the port forwarding rule for the HTTPS for an IP address of 192.168.0.50 on the router, and set up a static IP address on the sensor of 192.168.0.50.

I still don't fully understand Port Forwarding, it's nice to know there are people around that are willing to help a Senior (a senior that worked in the IT industry as a programmer and DBA  for about 40 years mind you).

Thanks

Gerry

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Good Afternoon @gflemming,

Welcome to the Forums and Thank you for your post!Smiley Happy

It looks like you need help with setting up your wireless ConnectSense Temperature and Humidity Sensor to connect over the Internet. Other than wireless dose the sensor have the option to connect to Ethernet?

Is the sensor receiving a proper ip address? If so what's the ip address?

What is the make and model number of the sensor?
What have you tried so far during set up?

Regards,
RogersArthur

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

There is no Ethernet connection ability.

No idea on what it's got as an IP address.

It's a ConnectSense model GC-CS-TH

https://www.connectsense.com/wireless-temperature-sensor

As mentioned, I have been able to connect with no problems following the instructions in the Quick Start Guide to the Bell network.  Using the exact same techniques, it won't connect to the Rogers network.

I can connect my tablet or laptop wirelessly to the sensor, to set up the proper network connections (Channel, SSID and password), but the sensor is supposed to connect wirelessly to the Cloud giving updates all the time.  The sensor status indicator shows that it is connected to the WiFi, but is offline to the cloud.

Gerry

Hi @gflemming,

Thank you for the link it was really helpful.Smiley Happy

I can see how the ConnectSense Wireless Temperature Sensor works. So basically similar to your tablet or laptop the ConnectSense model GC-CS-TH grabs a number (IP Address) from the Hitron CGN3 router to access the Internet. So far it sounds like the Hitron CGN3 Router is allowing the ConnectSense to access to the Internet but not allowing the device to access the Cloud. This means you still need to open the required ports on the Hitron CGN3 router from your end.

Below we have included steps to opening the port in the Hitron CGN3 Router:

Set Up Port Forwarding on a Hitron CGN3 or CGN3ACR

1. Open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1.
  2. Login with:
    • Username: cusadmin
    • Password: password
  3. Click Basic.
  4. Click Port Forwarding.
  5. Switch All Port forwarding Rules to Enabled.
  6. Click Add.
  7. Enter the following settings:
    • Common Application: List of common applications and servers that are forwarded
    • Application Name: A point of reference to remember what is being forwarded
    • Protocol: Choose either TCP, UDP, TCP/UDP, GRE, ESP
    • Public Port Range: Enter the starting public port range on the left and the ending range on the right.  If only one port needs to be opened then both boxes should have the same port number
    • Private Port Range: Enter the starting private port range on the left and the ending range on the right.  If only one port needs to be opened then both boxes should have the same port number
    • Local IP Address: The ending IP address of the device you want the changes to apply to
  8. Click Apply.

Hope this helps
@RogersArthur

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

Confusion reigns supreme!

Assuming I select HTTPS from the dropdown, that fills in the TCP protocal and a public port range of 443~443.

The Private Port Range and Local IP Address are missing.

Do I just plug in anything at random (tried that, no love)?

Hi @gflemming

From my experience and my own devices I put the same ports in public and private. Also, the IP address would be the one from your device. I am not sure if this device has a menu where you can see the IP that it's grabbing, you could also find out by looking at your connected devices in the Router settings.

Does the owners manual mention any specific ports that need to be forwarded? Could you visit the  Basic Tab then LAN Setup, and see if UPNP enabled?

Also what's the exact model of your modem and the firmware version?

As this is a 3rd Party Product our expertise would be limited. Have you spoken to the manufacturer to see if they are able to assist?

RogersAsif

Some of the UPNP and device type forwarding seems still a little flakey sometimes on the CGN3. 
Like with some VOIP adapters, etc.

I wonder, if possibly changing over to the CGN3ACSMR, with the new firmware update might be a better choice?
Since it seems to play a little nicer with some other things which have issues with forwarding like with VOIP, game systems, etc.

Hi @gflemming,

Thank you for your patience, I totally understand how confusing the port forwarding can be Smiley Frustrated, so I'll try my best to explain.

Just to clarify, you want to know what to enter into the private port range and local IP address fields. Basically where to enter the following network protocols the ConnectSense uses to communicate with the cloud server:
• HTTPS (port 443), using GET, PUT, and POST operations.
• You need to enter the same port number 443 ~ 443 in all boxes for both private port range and public port range:

Hitron CGN3 Port settings.png

• For the IP address field, you'll need to enter the IP address the Hitron CGN3 router assigns to the ConnectSense.
• To see the IP address of the ConnectSense, you'll need to log into the router (follow steps and check illustration.)

1. Login with:
    • Username: cusadmin
    • Password: password
  2. Click Basic.
  3. Make sure the Lan Setting tap is selected.
  4. Look at the lower half of the page under sub heading Connected Computers.
  5. This is where you will see a list of IP addresses and the names of all the connected devices, your smartphone, tablet and the ConnectSense.

Hitron CGN3 connected computers.png

Let us know if this is helpful,

RogersArthur

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, the device and hense forth the IP address doesn't seem to show in the Basic/Connected Devices.

The device Status indicator is flashing to indicate that it is connected to a WiFi network.

The owner's manual is a joke - one of those Quick Start Guides.

UPNP is enabled.

The modem is a hitron CGN3

HW Version 1A

SW Version 4.2.4.5

Thanks

Gerry

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

Would I just drop in at a Rogers store with my old CGN3 and ask for a CGN3ACSMR?

Gerry

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, it shows my Laptop, Tablet and Phone (as well as my desktop), but no ConnectSense device, and therefore no IP Address.

Gerry

You should be able to take your CGN3 in to the nearest Rogers Store and swap it for the CGN3ACSMR.  Remember that the SMR will come with Firmware Version 4.4.8.13 loaded.  Firmware Version 4.5.8.16 should be loaded on the modem within 48 hours of it going active on the network.  If you have the modem beyond 48 hours and the firmware has not updated it can be requested from CommunityHelps.   Don't try too much, in terms of establishing a connection with the Temp Sensor until the new firmware loads.  That will hopefully save some frustration.

Did you go thru the wifi connection setup as shown at :

https://www.connectsense.com/sensor-solutions

and see the networks that are available to the device, which should then enable you to enter the wifi network passphrase?

Hi @gflemming,

From what i've seen on the ConnectSen​se Temperatur​e Sensor's website, for the ConnectSense to grab an IP address you'll need to try the quick start setup again (watch their posted video for info like @Datalink points out.) Log into the ConnectSense, select basic setup to choose your WIFI network where you would enter the password (this is 1min and 10secs into their video) at this point you would select next to see your IP address listed on the bottom. If not I would recommend you use the "Get Help" option on the right of their support page to have them look into what's going on. Maybe you can try another router to test if the ConnectSen​se could at the very least grab an IP address like before.

Regards,

RogersArthur

Here is additional food for thought.  At time 2:14 in the video, it shows a page with wifi settings.  These all originate from the modem, and yet, there is an "Edit" button shown on that page.  The functionality of those "Edit" buttons isn't demonstrated, but, if they actually do allow the user to set any of those parameters, you would or could end up with a mismatch between the modem or router and the wifi on the sensor.  End result, the sensor will not talk to the modem or router.  They have to match what is set in the modem or router.  The remote device should just pick up on what parameters are used in the network.  Why the Edit buttons are present is beyond me.  It shows TKIP as an encryption mode for example.  I hope that isn't a default setting as the wifi on the modem or router should be running with WPA-2 personal for a wifi mode and AES only for encryption.  TKIP is not secure and is not allowed to run 802.11n data rates.  TKIP also restricts data rates to 54 Mb/s.

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, I want to thank all that have been feeding me hints.  While none directed me exactly to the solution I worked out, they all helped.

What I did was set up the port forwarding rule for the HTTPS for an IP address of 192.168.0.50 on the router, and set up a static IP address on the sensor of 192.168.0.50.

I still don't fully understand Port Forwarding, it's nice to know there are people around that are willing to help a Senior (a senior that worked in the IT industry as a programmer and DBA  for about 40 years mind you).

Thanks

Gerry

Excellent! Smiley Happy

Thank you for updating the Community and we are glad that the issue is fixed.

Great Job,
RogersArthur

forbesmasters
I've Been Around

The “one or more network protocols are missing” error usually affects PCs with loose internet cables or otherwise faulty internet connection. The easiest method that can help solve the problem is to double check all wires and see they are properly plugged in. If that doesn’t solve the issue, try disabling NetBIOS. if this dosen't work for you then you can try using this solution : http://errorcodespro.com/fix-one-more-network-protocols-missing-windows-computer/

Josan123
I've Been Around

The “one or more network protocols are missing” error usually affects PCs with loose internet cables or otherwise faulty internet connection. The easiest method that can help solve the problem is to double check all wires and see they are properly plugged in. If that doesn’t solve the issue, try disabling NetBIOS. 

gflemming
I Plan to Stick Around

This issue was resolved ‎07-16-2015 09:14 PM

Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 in conversation