cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect two Rocket Hubs in Tandem??

lforbes
I've Been Here Awhile

We have two Ericson Rocket Hubs on trial and would like to connect the two so that all PCs that are connected to the two hubs can access each other (as well as a printer connected to one of the hubs).  We tried it connecting an ethernet port on one hub to an ethernet port on the other - it worked sort of but we had problems with intermittant disconnects.  Called Rogers tech support and was told it can be done  but they do not support it and could offer no assistance.

Was wondering if anyone knows how the hubs might be successfully connected?

TIA......

***Edited labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Connect two Rocket Hubs in Tandem??

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@lforbes:

The first and most obvious thing required is so basic that you have probably already thought of this.  You are likely aware that the RocketHub default IP address is 192.168.1.1.  You cannot have both W35's on the same IP address.  If you have not done so already, change the IP address on one of the W35's to, let's say, 192.168.1.2.

Secondly, the W35 comes out of the box enabled to act as a DHCP server.  If you are going to use DHCP you should disable the DHCP function on one of the W35 routers.

There is some possibility that the two W35's WiFi capabilities will interfere with one another both at the radio frequency level, and logically.  You would certainly need to determine what the WiFi interactions might be.  Would it be possible, for example, to manually select the W35 that a to which a certain PC would attach by initially selecting theWiFi network to which that PC connects.

I am not at all sure what the other issues will be.  For example, the PC's on your network will need a default gateway specified that identifies the device they will use to access IP addresses outside your subnet. In this case, the default gateway would effectively control the W35 being targetted by a specific PC to connect to the Internet.

It might be better instead of using DHCP that you manually configure your PC's with the usual required IP information: default gateway, subnet mask and the device's IP address, and, of course, DNS addresses, you will be able to split the load manually amongst your two W35's.  How equitable that load splitting will be depends on obvious factors, i.e., who is doing what at any given time on each of the networked PC's.  There is nothing here that would allow the load sharing to be more automatic, based on demand from the PC's on your network.

Given that all of the devices on your network will be part of the same subnet, they should not have any problems communicating with each other.

Good Luck.

skinorth

lforbes
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks skinorth!

I have one of the hubs at home now and changed the LAN IP address as you suggested and disabled the DHCP function.  I can still connect to the hub using the new IP addr so so far so good.

As far as the WiFi interfering, Rogers says there would be no problem but I also disabled the WiFi on the hub as it won't be needed anyhow.

Will try connecting it to the other hub tomorrow and see what happens........

@lforbes:

what you need to remember about your home "network" that you are about to set up is that you don't want two devices on the network with the same IP address.  Your subnet address space is from 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255.  For some very specific reasons which I will not go into right now, you cannot use the ".0" and the ".255" addresses.  Everything else in that range is available to you.

So if you are going to set up your own addressing plan for the subnet, you can use 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 for the two W35's.  Just keep in mind that in order to control/manage the two W35's you will need to access the web interfaces at the two IP addresses.

Pick a higher address as the beginning of the range for your PC's on the network.  For example, assign the PC's on your network consecutive addresses beginning at 192.168.1.50, for example.  The way TCP/IP works, is that the devices on your network will literally find each other for addresses that are on your local subnet.  Picking a beginning number like that helps you to remember where you began the range of assigned addresses.

To communicate with addresses outside the subnet, the router at the default gateway address (one of the W35 routers) will figure it out for you.  DNS is used to resolve addresses outside on the Internet.

If you don't need to use WiFi on the W35 that will eliminate one possible source of problems.  I know Rogers said it was OK, but I am not sure that it is.  If, for example, cordless phones and microwave ovens can interfere with WiFi, then it makes sense that two hubs could interfere with each other as well.  For further info on this see the following:

http://media.techtarget.com/searchNetworking/downloads/Effects_of_Interference_on_General_WLAN_Traff...

Hope you can work it all out.  Drop us a line as to how you make out.

Good Luck.

skinorth

lforbes
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks again skinorth.

Our dual hub project is on hold for a while until we resolve another issue, that being if the hub phone line can support "Smart Ring" (what we have now from Telus). It gives you two phone numbers for the same line so one number can be voice and the other is connected to a fax. The switching is done by the on site phone system based on different ring patterns for the two numbers.

Does anyone know if the Rogers Rocket Hub phones support such an option? If so, we will look again at a dual hub system to support a second phone line.