cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about so called "data plans" for cell phone.

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Just signed up with Rogers and got the Galaxy "Q" (tried the Nexus but it was akin to buying a Kenworth to haul you groceries fro my uses).

I was under the impression from what the sales clerk told me  that as long as I could connect to a WiFi signal (ie home network / airport  free WiFi access) I would be able to access the internet/email etc. The data plans were only for access if you were out of range of a WiFi spot.

Every time I try it tells me I need a Rogers Data Plan (try $10 for 500 MB).

So is there anyway to connect to the internet for emails etc. without a data plane?

If I get a small data plan , does that mean every time I connect I'm using part of the 500MB?

Txs

******* Edit labels ********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Confused about so called "data plans" for cell phone.

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:
Weird then the Rogers reps i spoke to & a few supervisors lied.. i was told in order to use wifi i need a data plan.

Well. iPod Touch "is an iPhone without a phone" (Steve Jobs) and you don't need a data plan. Just WiFi signal.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

In order to use Wifi on your smart phone you need a data plan. You need to get a data plan in order to use Wifi at home or at the airport or Starbucks lets say. Once you turn on Wifi it will use the internet you are connected threw wifi & NOT your data package. Once you turn off WiFi & use the intenet that is when you will be using the 500MB. Once you are on Wifi you have nothing to worry about.

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Ummm... No.. You don't need a data plan to use WiFi. You need to turn on the WiFi in your settings, and then make sure it connects to a WiFi network. I'm assuming you have a WiFi router at home that you are trying to connect to.

To turn on WiFi, go to Settings then Wireless and network, Wi-Fi settings, and make sure there's a check mark beside Wi-Fi. It will list the available wireless networks on that same screen.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Weird then the Rogers reps i spoke to & a few supervisors lied.. i was told in order to use wifi i need a data plan.

mbazdell

I think that only applies to blackberries, and again that's only for certain apps. I have a few phones lying about with no SIM card in that work fine with just WiFi

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:

Well. iPod Touch "is an iPhone without a phone" (Steve Jobs) and you don't need a data plan. Just WiFi signal.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yea i know but say that to the reps that tell you " You need a data plan in order to use WiFi" This is the case tho that ever rep over the phone & in store say this. I have asked them many times to double check & they say the same. So this is why i posted saying that because i never really looked into it.

None the less after looking around, you do NOT need a data plan at all. It should work fine without one. You can use WiFi at home or at work ( where ever you have WiFi) BUT you will not be able to access the internet outside WiFI or recieve any emails or anything like that.

Novanorm
I Plan to Stick Around

Many of the reps only get a day of training before talking to customers.  They aren't experts for the most part and are told to push the data plans.  There is a lot of misinformation out there and it is pretty easy to get lead down the wrong path.  Heck, some of the reps aren't even in Canada. Your best bet is to go to the manufacture's website and use the search tools for your phone to read the owner's manual.  Samsung has a pretty good section for the Galaxy phones.

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I can connect to WIFi without the data plan and things like Google Voice sorta work. If I try to use the web browser though I get a message telling me I need a data plan to connect to the internet.

Another mistake I think I made was getting the Value Pack at $12.00/mo. I'd like to review  all of this but does anyone else find that for a Internet provider and and peddling cell phones their web site is gawd awful slow or doesn't work some of the time?

Apparently I don't need Caller ID as the phone will display the incoming call if the caller is in the contacts list and since I sue the phone primarily for work and have a limited number of contacts , it's redundant (especially at $12.00/mo). And what good are all the email enhancements if I can't use them without a data pack?

Fortunatley I didn't sign a contract and on a month to month basis so this is easily done.

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Must apologize.

Don;t know what I did , must have had a setting wrong or something , but anyway , I was actually able to connect to the Internet and YouTube (just to see if I was actually connected) and it worked.

Even managed to send myself an email.

Guess it all boils down to being a total noob when it comes to smart phones.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Ahh well good then. At least it got fixed 🙂

mbazdell
Just want to point out you don't need Name Display, but you do need Caller ID for what you're talking about to work. If you don't have Caller ID, all incoming calls will be "Unknown" because Rogers likes to charge you for things that should be free.
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation