cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We just got the new navigator system for Nextbox and I can't figure out how to get closed captioning on tv shows that I have recorded and now want to watch.

In the past, I could turn CC off and on using the INFO button on the remote. Now when I select INFO, my recorded tv show stops and I go back to the recorded shows page. I contacted Rogers support and they don't know how to do it - they've set up a ticket for investigation; it will take up to 48 hours to get a response.

Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

***Edited Labels***

298 REPLIES 298

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

If you find a way to turn it on with the new upgrade of Navitr™ for recorded programs on the NextBox 3 please let me know because even previously recorded programs that used to have the CC on have all turned into a garbled mess flashing on and off.

Currently, there is only the work around way to get closed captioning working on recordings 😞

Turning on CC on live TV, before you go into a recording.

Though people have found a mix of some which are playing fine, and others which come out garbled.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Gd Kitty.   I had read your response earlier and tried your suggestion, but as soon as I went to a recorded program everything was the same as before, so it didn't work.  I was finally able to get through to Rogers and they are sending out a Technician tomorrow since they could not find anyway to fix it from their end.  Thank you for answering my question though.  I wish it had worked.   As I said, I have no problem through the Info or Setting button for turning the CC on/off.  It is getting the CC on the recorded programs to not be garbled mess and blinking on and off, which bothers me severely as an Epileptic.

You may as well cancel your technican visit.  They will not be able to do to ANYTHING related to it.  Its not the box, its not the signal.

Its just bad programming on the box.

Unfortunately, that work around is the ONLY way at the moment, until they fix it.
And as you have seen.. doesnt ALWAYS work 😞

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

I am so disheartened to read this. Smiley Sad  Even if your suggested way would work, I would be okay, but to read this has been happening since it was first rolled out in July, when customers I personally know, who lost all of their recorded programs period, you would think before they released this to us, it would have gone back to the programming department.  I will stay grateful at least my husband can understand what is being said on the programs recorded...and no turning it up doesn't help either because it is a tone deaf problem I have, so I really can't understand them unless they are very precise and or don't have their back to the camera.   Thank you again for responding.

out of all the new guide 'problems', this is one i am trying to push them to fix first.. as its a MAJOR issue.

Hopefully they can fix/change soon 😞

As i sugested elsewhere, and will repeat it for anyone who reads.
IF you are part of any groups possibly for the hearing impared.. i urge you to get THEM involved in pressuring rogers to fix this.

park
I'm an Advisor

@laura52 wrote:

Thank you Gd Kitty.   I had read your response earlier and tried your suggestion, but as soon as I went to a recorded program everything was the same as before, so it didn't work.  I was finally able to get through to Rogers and they are sending out a Technician tomorrow since they could not find anyway to fix it from their end.  Thank you for answering my question though.  I wish it had worked.   As I said, I have no problem through the Info or Setting button for turning the CC on/off.  It is getting the CC on the recorded programs to not be garbled mess and blinking on and off, which bothers me severely as an Epileptic.

Best get the tech out. IMHO gabled cc may well be a signal related problem.

What channels does it affect ?

Some frequencies/channels come in stronger than others.

CTV (a Bell Canada Company) seems to be the worst from personal experience and what others have posted here.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i would generally agree Park.. (since the CC is extra header information on the tv signal, etc)..

I think all these users have said the LIVE TV CC is fine.. 

Just wierd the signal issue would show up ONLY on the CC header stuff on the recorded file?

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

You are absolutely correct that CTV and CTV2 are the worst of all culprits and also carry most of the Prime Time and Daytime TV that I watch.  I have no problem when my husband watches the Food Network.  Global is more often than not in Spanish.  YES TV was fine last night.  It is an annoying situation and they did replace the cable wire 2x already in the last year, but nothing was wrong with any of it for Closed Caption until the upgrade to the new Navigatr™ came out last week.  Since then it took until yesterday to actually get a representative on the line or Live Chat. 

Believe I was looking into Fibe at Bell, but, unfortunately it isn't available where I live or you can be sure we would have taken advantage of it. 

My husband will be livid if they try to take the box, which is rented because of all his programs he has yet to watch.

park
I'm an Advisor

@laura52 Is  live TV cc on CTV  scrambled as well ?

IF they want to take the box, and give you a new/refurb one., let them hook both up.

Tell them you will return the old one, or they can pick it up  in 2-3 weeks after youve watched all the recording.

No sweat for Rogers to do !

Q: Is it a coincidence that Rogers puts CTV and affiliated stuff in on the cable in certain frequencies where  the signal can get  degraded the most ?

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Park for letting me know they don't have to take the other box and I can refuse to let them take it until I am satisfied.  We pay way too much for this inconvenience!

Laura

There is nothing saying you cant have two boxes (or more) on your account.. and it can be done.. but be warened it does take a bit of work.

(i did do this, when i went between the NB2 and NB3).

Adding the 2nd one may incure secondary rental fees, having the two of them at one time (you would have to negotiate the rental fee compensated, etc)

Having them both in the same room, can cause issues.  The remotes will control BOTH.  Better to have them in seperate rooms if you can.  As well splitting them if you do connect the cable for both, can cause signal drop.

I am not convinced at this time, that switching a box will fix the CC issues at all.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

Neither is the technican and he had gone to make some calls to come back in and say "sorry, it doesn't have that feature".  He tried everything in his defense, so you were right @Gdkitty.  It was a waste of time, but I did tell him to make sure head office new about this.  There are too many of us Baby Boomers paying their salary to have ever let this happened.  So, now to call Rogers and get the cost of the PVR removed if it won't work on PPV, On Demand and some of the stations. 

He even tried your back door approach GdKitty to no avail. 

I guess it is time for me to go back to the DVR!  Ugg!

Thanks for weighing in on this.  You can bet I will be lobbying for this to be changed and the sooner the better, especially when this has been happening since it was first released when everyone lost all their recorded programs.

Laura

Though i really have  no more power than you do.. i am trying to push the CC issues as much as i am able to.

Its an ACCESSIBILITY issue.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I remember someone on Digital Home asking Rogers to leave the old PVR until they'd finished watching all their saved recordings at no extra charge. I presuke they had an extra authorized outlet.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

Can you let me in on where you are trying to push this so I can join in on the frustration. I am seriously considering calling CRTC about this. They are taking people's money for a service they can't provide and had the nerve to release this when they absolutely knew this was a major flaw, or there would not have been so much talk about it.

park
I'm an Advisor

@laura52 wrote:
Can you let me in on where you are trying to push this so I can join in on the frustration. I am seriously considering calling CRTC about this. They are taking people's money for a service they can't provide and had the nerve to release this when they absolutely knew this was a major flaw, or there would not have been so much talk about it.

Rogers will give the extra PVR for a few weeks.  At the end they can diable it remotely and you can return or they can pick it up.

park
I'm an Advisor

@laura52  FYI  resuklts of my complaint to the CRTC.

see:

http://posts2334.rssing.com/chan-14084751/all_p403.html

If you click on the # in blure it takes you to the appropriate CRTC  page.

- park ( formerly park backwards)

park
I'm an Advisor

@laura52 wrote:

@laura52

CRTC WEB PAGE:

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx?lang=en&caseid=716298&key=42768.515929...

Stu36
I've Been Around

What's going on with closed captioning on CTV recorded shows? Seems fine on live shows? ( recordings were done on CTV Kitchener)

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

If you read the pages, you will see many of the recorded stations have lost the CC, but definitely any station related to CTV and CTV2.   There is not problem with the live TV, but the recorded shows are just not showing the CC and we are trying to get this rectified.

If you scroll up @Gdkitty has mentioned a back door way that has worked for some until it is fixed.  It didn't work for me, unfortunately, but it did work for others.   

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?