cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We just got the new navigator system for Nextbox and I can't figure out how to get closed captioning on tv shows that I have recorded and now want to watch.

In the past, I could turn CC off and on using the INFO button on the remote. Now when I select INFO, my recorded tv show stops and I go back to the recorded shows page. I contacted Rogers support and they don't know how to do it - they've set up a ticket for investigation; it will take up to 48 hours to get a response.

Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

***Edited Labels***

298 REPLIES 298

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed that same thing as well.  Only the long way around would stop the recording by hitting List and then going to the program to cancel recording. 

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

Yes, although it is a form response, the fact that CRTC has opened an investigation and is asking for a response means that they do consider this to be an issue to investigate and clarify just what actions Rogers will take.

If they are outside of the scope of their mandate, they will decline to review your concern and suggest actions you can take.

I expect that the response will be similiar to the concerns to CRTC back in August, that ultimatel led to them acknowledging that there was an issue with font size that they were working with to work towards continualy improving our viewing experience in the FAQ reference to Ellen Roseman - anything in that FAQ that said they were working to improve our experience was worked on in the bug fix - so when a fix finally comes we will probably see a change.

Based upon announcements, Technicolor has taken over all Cisco operations of set top boxes in November - I wonder if the fixes put out on their builds in late November, and January were Technicolor or Cisco - the description still says Cisco Videoscape - wonder if Technicolor doesn't want their name on this work, but obviously someone is doing the work.

Time will tell.

Bruce

Hi @BS and @laura52 I expect the software rights to videoscape (whatever that is, maybe the core middleware perhaps?) remain with Cisco. They are free to licence it to whomever, e.g Technicolu8r/Espial.

Recall the "browser" in the JULY 28 version of Navigatr  came from a company (ANT?) in England that Espial bought out

a couple years earlier.

RE: CRTC 

The fundamental problem with Navigatr (other than the poor designs and terrible implimentaion),

is that we have no choice in the PVR we use. I has to come frrom Rogers with whatever software the decide we need

This reminds me of the olden days at Bell and telehones. NO CHOICE.

Perhaps the CRTC can be presuaded to reopen the market for PVRS like exists currently in the US and I believe the UK as well.  In the analog world we could acquirte our own PVRs, why not in the digital world.

It seems to  the only long term solution to Rogers doing this over and over.

I would be like you could have only one kind of cellphone or Tablet.

foxykatt
I've Been Around

Ever since my nextbox received the update this past Dec I can't figure out how to enable closed captioning for any of the On Demand (ch 309, 100, 328 etc.) content which includes movies and tv shows like the walking dead or game of thrones. I can enable cc for live tv the same way I did before the update by hitting INFO on my remote buuuut that doesn't work anymore for on demand content! What gives?!?! Letdown after repeated letdown, Rogers!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@foxykatt wrote:

Ever since my nextbox received the update this past Dec I can't figure out how to enable closed captioning for any of the On Demand (ch 309, 100, 328 etc.) content

You turn on the CC while watching a live programme.   The CC should then be "on" for any recorded programming or VOD, etc.  You need to go back to a live programme to turn CC off again. I have included a "workaround" for CC in the following links:

Please take a few minutes to read the following links - they will save you hours of frustrations and questions:

How To:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Issues: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Summary & Tips:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello all,

Wanted to update the community - I have tested CC functionality on a NextBox 9865 (Nextbox 3) connected to my TV via component video, and:

- Live TV: CC works when enabling CC on my **TV** (and not cable box).

- Live TV: CC partially works when enabling CC  on my cable box.

When CC is enabled via my cable box, I am seeing the same problems documented in this thread.

rudyriedl
I've Been Here Awhile

This works for some channels but not all. Even after enabling cc on live TV, the tecordings from some channels (Global, WMOV, Action) still don't show cc.

Sometimes I get the cc on these channels  when I start the recording from a live channel. But this, of course negates the benefit of recording when you are not around.

I reported this twice to Rogers but got only their computer tell me that they noted my problem and will let me know when it is fixed. That's 3 weeks ago and still no update.

Very poor service by Rogers. I wonder if Bell's new TV service is better.

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding the issue of a work-around to get CC on recorded programs:

In our case, CC is On always.   We need it whether we're watching live or recorded.  In case the system needed to be reminded, I have closed the recorded program we were trying to watch, gone to live, turned CC Off, then turned it back On.  That seems to have no effect.  The recorded program still did not show CC. 

Closed captioning does seem to work on recorded programs for some stations; for example AMC and Fox. However, CC does not work for CTV and Global. 

And, an extra frustration is that programs recorded several months ago on CTV or Global, programs that we could have watched with CC before this Navigatr upload was pushed out by Rogers, no longer can be viewed with CC.  How can that be?  They were originally recorded with the CC track.  They could originally be watched with the CC.  Now - no CC.

It's been 8 days since the CRTC gave Rogers 20 days to respond to my complaint about this.  So far, nothing.  I will update this forum if and when I receive a response.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same issue with On Demand, Pay Per View and PVR recorded shows.  It is a disappointment.   Join the people here who have emailed CRTC.  Maybe if enough of us email, something will finally be done. 

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding channels for which CC does not work for recorded programs:

Previously, I wrote,

"Closed captioning does seem to work on recorded programs for some stations; for example AMC and Fox. However, CC does not work for CTV and Global."

I was wrong about AMC.  As with CTV and Global, no CC on recorded AMC programs. 

Again, I tried going back to live tv, turning CC off and back on.  No luck.  No CC when I restarted the recorded program.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

I found that if I record programs that are not done in Canada like Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds etc. (wake up Rogers) and record them on the American stations, even if Cable is from Global or CTV or CTV2 the CC will show on the PVR recorded shows.  Shows recorded in Canada like Gotham, Arrow, The Flash, Saving Hope, etc that cannot be found on the American stations, just our Canadian stations will not record the CC.  😕

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

@laura52 wrote:

Shows recorded in Canada like Gotham, Arrow, The Flash, Saving Hope, etc that cannot be found on the American stations, just our Canadian stations will not record the CC.  😕

Just noticed that Gotham, Arrow and The Flash are all shown on Channel M3HD (which is channel 36 here in London) and, at least for the one I tried, CC worked on the recorded show (which was The Flash). 

I don't think they show on the same times as CTV, but I did notice the season opener for Gotham was there.  I set it to record the series.  We'll see if it does, and if the CC works consistently.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you so much for this.  I am not at home but will look for that station for sure and it is time for me to write to CTV & Gobal because I am sure they will not be happy that their rival communications of Rogers  has made it such a dance around effort for the hard of hearing/deaf  to record and receive CC,

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around

Closed captioning can be turned on or off ONLY while watching LIVE TV.

Once it is turned on then closed captioning will work for everything from then on including SHOMI, On Demand, recorded shows and of course Live TV. To turn off Closed captions you must follow the same steps again only on LIVE TV.

This works, I just tested it.

To turn ON Closed Captioning follow these steps (Courtesy of super contributor "park") 

1. Jump to a live program, e.g. hit [last].

2. Click the [info] button.

3. Click down a couple times till you are on the  (i) [more].

4. Select it.

5. Click down 8 times

6. click on  [turn cc on]

7. click [exit] button

You will now see closed captions on Live TV, SHOMI, On Demand, and recorded shows until you turn them off again.

8. For example for Recorded Shows Click [List], this will take you to your recordings.

9. Select the recording that you want to watch

10 Hit [Watch] or [resume]

11. Pour yourself a stiff drink or take a few deep breaths and watch your recordings with the subtitles on

12. Call Rogers to let them know how easy this was compared to the old system !!!

(In the good old days you only had to press the [INFO] button and select CC [back-arrow twice] then [OK-select] from within Live TV, SHOMI, On Demand, and recorded shows. 4 button presses vs. a minimum of 13 today on Navigator!

Progress! Am I right?)

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

@boulevardier wrote:

Once it is turned on then closed captioning will work for everything from then on including SHOMI, On Demand, recorded shows and of course Live TV. To turn off Closed captions you must follow the same steps again only on LIVE TV.

This works, I just tested it.

I am happy for you that that works for you.  It does not work for me with our location and our box.  Instead of thinking that the rest of us have been too dim to figure out those instructions, just be happy it works for you.

Still does not work here.  I tested it again about an hour ago just in case it had been fixed when I rebooted today.  No such luck.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think that is what they were trying to intend.
They were just trying to list the instruction which has 'worked' for most people so far.

Generally this has worked for MOST people.  In most cases.

There are some channels in which this does not appear to work, or it does come out garbled.

Unfortunately, there is no other solution at the moment, until they provide a 'fix'

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

I was able to find Gotham on this station.  It is Channel 64 for M3 here or 477 for M3HD.  The Flash and Arrow were not new  shows.   Again, thank you for this.  I am keeping my fingers crossed it works. 

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

They were just trying to list the instruction which has 'worked' for most people so far.

Generally this has worked for MOST people.  In most cases.

There are some channels in which this does not appear to work, or it does come out garbled.

Unfortunately, there is no other solution at the moment, until they provide a 'fix'

Hi Gdkitty,

If you say it works for MOST people, I cannot dispute that.   I don't think of something working if it doesn't work for all channels, but maybe that's semantics, and you do such good stuff here I don't want to argue with you.

boulevardier
I Plan to Stick Around
" Instead of thinking that the rest of us have been too dim to figure out those instructions"

My dear hyper sensitive "Cush", Really! How do you know what I'm thinking??
Never thought anyone is "dim witted". Excuse me for trying to be helpful.

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

@boulevardier wrote:
 Excuse me for trying to be helpful.

@boulevardier wrote:

Once it is turned on then closed captioning will work for everything from then on

I don't find this helpful.  If it's true for you, then good for you.  If Gdkitty feels that it works for MOST people, then I am happy for MOST people.  

I don't find it helpful to the discussion to pretend that this issue can be solved by simply going back to live TV and turning on CC.  For most of us who need CC, it is always on.  Going back to live TV and turning it off and back on has had no effect for the channels that have lost CC for recordings, at least for me.

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

@Cush wrote:

I don't find it helpful to the discussion to pretend that this issue can be solved by simply going back to live TV and turning on CC.  For most of us who need CC, it is always on.  Going back to live TV and turning it off and back on has had no effect for the channels that have lost CC for recordings, at least for me.

What might be helpful would be if we can identify a region where a Rogers cable subscriber can see CC for recorded CTV or Global shows.

Can anyone actually do that? 

If you don't mind telling us - what area/region are you in?

And (if you know) what generation of Nextbox are you using?

And what version of Navigatr?

For Nextbox type and Navigatr version it would be helpful if someone could explain in detail (boulevardier? Gdkitty?) how to locate the type/generation of Nextbox and the version of Navigatr.

Thanks.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello all, 

A few observations about CC:

- Not all programs have CC, even the same episode of the same program being broadcast on different channels. 

- Not all programs on a given station (Global, CTV, etc) will have CC. 

- Not all set top boxes are running the same build / version of Navigatr. Rogers is pushing software updates out, and not everyone is running the same version of the software. This might account for differences in how CC is working (or not working). 

- Low or poor signal quality can effect how and if CC is displayed. A very poor signal can lead to picture issues (pixellation) and garbled CC. 

Cush, I will check Global and CTV for you soon and post back with my results.