cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We just got the new navigator system for Nextbox and I can't figure out how to get closed captioning on tv shows that I have recorded and now want to watch.

In the past, I could turn CC off and on using the INFO button on the remote. Now when I select INFO, my recorded tv show stops and I go back to the recorded shows page. I contacted Rogers support and they don't know how to do it - they've set up a ticket for investigation; it will take up to 48 hours to get a response.

Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

***Edited Labels***

298 REPLIES 298

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

rickschlau
I Plan to Stick Around

I have an NB3 box and Navigator in Toronto. I am hard of hearing. I've always struggled hearing TV dialogue cleanly and so rely on CC for all viewing. I have CC on all the time while watching TV and consequently have CC on by default when recording to the PVR.

Prior to this upgrade - I virtually never had any problems with both live TV nor Programmed shows (except when a small budget show on a minor channel did not support it. I think the law has changed somewhat?!

Now, any RECORDED show from CTV (8) / TCTV2 (20 ) only shows garbled and broken "CTV" over and over again as dialogue!

Also TVO (2) is spotty with  certain shows but not others.

Take crare. RS

rickschlau
I Plan to Stick Around

TO @arobitu

Try SETTINGS on Remote

Scroll down to Closed Caption

Enter

Scroll left and click on CC1 so there is an arrow

EXIT

EXIT

EXIT

You should have CC.

IF not - try same steps above but from live TV channel like Global or whatever.

Confirm CC works and then go to SHOMI on another.

Dlawyr
I've Been Around

Useless for any recorded show?. So the

@corgi998 wrote:

just figured out how to turn the cc on the navigatr.  You cannot turn it on if you are watching a show that you taped but you can turn it on while watching any 'live' channel. 

Press 'info' button on remote, click on more (on the right hand side) scroll down using your down arrow button to 'cc on' and it will turn it on. 

When you want to turn it off just do the same thing but turn 'cc off'.

hope this helps!

PVR becomes useless to those who are hearing impaired.

burwell
I'm Here A Lot

By blundering around I found out how.. It is not exactly intuitive but it works.

Press     info.  Button

Toggle to  More on right side of screen

Press.  Select

Toggle through to bottom of list and continue as there is more menu not evident until it scrolls up.

Use Select to turn CC on or off.

Press exit to go back and the exit once more to return to show.

park
I'm an Advisor

@burwell wrote:

By blundering around I found out how.. It is not exactly intuitive but it works.

Press     info.  Button

Toggle to  More on right side of screen

Press.  Select

Toggle through to bottom of list and continue as there is more menu not evident until it scrolls up.

Use Select to turn CC on or off.

Press exit to go back and the exit once more to return to show.

Yes. But best write it down. Not very intuitive.

E.g. See page 3 of this thread. 

When I came back from a vacation, I forgot how to it.

Finally looked it up here and found my own message on how to !

I agree, we use CC all the time and it doesnt work for recored programs for me either. This is a serious defieincy with the new system. You would think they would test for this before rolling out.

@laneovic33 wrote:

I agree, we use CC all the time and it doesnt work for recored programs for me either. This is a serious defieincy with the new system. You would think they would test for this before rolling out.

Others have found.. if you go to live TV first, turn it on.. then go into the recording.. it often will work.

(have not tested myself)

Tried it, but it didn't work properly. The CC that shows on screen are random words and letters. 

Yeah..

Seems it works on SOME.. but not others..

Its definately a BUG with the current system.. 

HOPEFULLY they can fix it soon.

smiff
I've Been Here Awhile

I found the CC on and off... it's buried deep on the right when you select a show (sometimes under "More"). Not at all handy. Any chance there is or will be a shortcut?

park
I'm an Advisor

@smiff wrote:

I found the CC on and off... it's buried deep on the right when you select a show (sometimes under "More"). Not at all handy. Any chance there is or will be a shortcut?

GREAT QUESTION.We have been asking for a fix since July.

Rogers has yet to acknowledge that is even a problem.

One workaround suggested by @57 is to use  the SETTING for the cc function. Set it to something other than cc1 when want to turn cc off. Saves a few strokes esp. with recorded programs.

His tip verbatum:

Tip:  One workaround mentioned elsewhere is to invoke CC on live TV, go into Settings for CC and select "T1" as the type of CC. T1 is rarely used and CC will (probably) not show. When you want to see CC in your recordings, you can press "Settings - CC - CC1".  When you want to "turn off" CC, go to Settings - CC - T1.  Still kludgy, but a lot fewer clicks and can be done without leaving your recording

you should not have to do it in live TV first, or go out and hit 13 buttons just to get the CC working, it drives the people who are not hard of hearing in my house hold bonkers that it's more confusing to turn off when i'm not using it, so i always now make sure I turn it off for them, it use to be so easy

arobitu
I Plan to Stick Around
Neither work for shomi or ROD.

arobitu
I Plan to Stick Around
Never eorked for me.

Aoned
I've Been Around
This is not a good set up because it should be able to be set up from recorded programs as well. That's a bit ridiculous. Come on Rogers - you should make it convenient for all of your viewers.

While i never used it.. i couldnt 100% confirm..

I am not sure that shomi or RoD necessarily had it before?

I could be wront.

rickschlau
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the NB3 Box with new Navigator and basic cable (2-28 and some others).

@

What box do you have?

Does CC work on live TV?

@arobitu

CC definetly worked on RoD and Shomi before Navigator and works for me now.

I really only seem to have trouble with CTV (and any affiliates) programs and some TVO. the rest all seems to work but keep in mind I only have basic cable.

smstep
I've Been Here Awhile
Who decided to say this was solved? We just got the Navigatr and same problem - shows taped on PVR do NOT show the cc...regardless of how the settings are set. The "info" button suggestion - thank you - was helpful for live TV but we use PVR to avoid live TV (and skip commercials). Now, the cc that used to show on these scheduled shows are not..or blink random letters like a strobe light! I am adding my comment in hopes the problem stays open until really resolved.

park
I'm an Advisor

@smstep wrote:
Who decided to say this was solved? We just got the Navigatr and same problem - shows taped on PVR do NOT show the cc...regardless of how the settings are set. The "info" button suggestion - thank you - was helpful for live TV but we use PVR to avoid live TV (and skip commercials). Now, the cc that used to show on these scheduled shows are not..or blink random letters like a strobe light! I am adding my comment in hopes the problem stays open until really resolved.

Agre not solved.  NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED AS SOMETHING TO BE FIXED.

The 2 CC problems (all the key hits, what I call the cc happy dance, and cc messed up on some channels eg CTV) have existed since the aborted rollout inJuly.

park
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I could be wront.

@Gdkitty wrote:

I could be wront.

REALLY ?? Are you absolutely sure about that or just adding to your impressive post count ?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@park wrote:

Agre not solved.  NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED AS SOMETHING TO BE FIXED.

The 2 CC problems (all the key hits, what I call the cc happy dance, and cc messed up on some channels eg CTV) have existed since the aborted rollout inJuly.

There is nothing marked as solved in this thread.. no one ever has said that it was that i have seen?
(people who thought that there is no CC, have been shown the.. well.. difficult way to get it working, but thats about it)

Rogers has stated in this thread, even a page or two ago, that they are passing these problems/information on.  There is at least that much confirmation.. but beyond that.. its up to the developers (which are apparently not even in house as far as i am aware now 😞 )

@park wrote:
@Gdkitty wrote:

I could be wront.

REALLY ?? Are you absolutely sure about that or just adding to your impressive post count ?

Thats why i said, i could be wrong 😛  Unfortunately my CC experiences are few and far between.
I have checked on Shomi via the web, and some CC is available, but not on ALL content.
There is no CC content that i am aware of on the RoD web version that i have ever found 😞

I dont access them on the roger box that often (do most of my shomi/rod while at work on PC).. 
I made a (possibly wrong) assumption that since the content THERE doesnt have it, that the content all together may not have it... but again that assumption could be wrong.

Just from prior ROD/Shomi.. with the old guide.. i know much of the button when hitting INFO were not available (where the CC was).

(and post #'s have nothing to do with it, etc 😛  My post numbers on here.. is because i have been helping people on here usually find solutions (mostly in the internet side) for going on over 5 years now.)

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!