cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We just got the new navigator system for Nextbox and I can't figure out how to get closed captioning on tv shows that I have recorded and now want to watch.

In the past, I could turn CC off and on using the INFO button on the remote. Now when I select INFO, my recorded tv show stops and I go back to the recorded shows page. I contacted Rogers support and they don't know how to do it - they've set up a ticket for investigation; it will take up to 48 hours to get a response.

Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

***Edited Labels***

298 REPLIES 298

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I do like the idea of a specific button.  Problem being most buttons are already pre assigned to something or already labeled 😞

Wondering if # maybe??

At minimum.. they really need to add better access to it... PERIOD.
A) Needs to be moved to a slightly quicker location after pressing info.. on the FIRST info screen (and not behind the MORE and at the bottom)

B) Recordings no longer have access to the INFO screens as compared to the previous RTN guide.  (sort of kicks you back to one of the recording screens).  I think that is where they key problem lays.
Implementing it on the first info screen as above.. then making recordings have access to the SAME info screens (like they did in RTN), would work.

What does the # (aspect ratio) button do on the Nextboxes now?  On my SA8300HD it cycles the aspect ratio between Normal/Stretch/Zoom1/Zoom2. I use Zoom1 to fill the screen for channels I only get in SD, like Austin City Limits on PBS and the old Top Gear on BBC Canada and a few others. Do you need to do that on the Nextbox?

Another idea would be to get a Harmony remote and progran thse multitudes of keystrokes as macros. Maybe should supply such a remote.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@OLDYELLR wrote:

What does the # (aspect ratio) button do on the Nextboxes now?  On my SA8300HD it cycles the aspect ratio between Normal/Stretch/Zoom1/Zoom2. I use Zoom1 to fill the screen for channels I only get in SD, like Austin City Limits on PBS and the old Top Gear on BBC Canada and a few others. Do you need to do that on the Nextbox?

Another idea would be to get a Harmony remote and progran thse multitudes of keystrokes as macros. Maybe should supply such a remote.

I wasnt abble to wrestle the remote from my wife at the time of posting to confirm.  I forgot that the aspect button was on # (for some reason i thought it was another button).  (and yes the aspect might need to be used on an SD channel, etc for some people if they wished)
I have edited my above reply accordingly.

I was just trying to find an UNASSIGNED button to put a CC shortcut on.
A brings up the search now (as well as *) .. while in a menu or on live TV.. 
D brings up the weather app.
B and C, at least on those screens do not appear to do anything... could set it for C (for closed caption) on those screens enabled it ??

A macro would work on a harmony.. but the user would still see it go through all screens, etc to get there.. really would interupt the viewing still, just lessening the number of key presses.

park
I'm an Advisor

Q: what's a harmony ?

He c key sounds good. Rogers which key do you prefer?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The more people we can get on here supporting it and bringing it to Rogers attention, the more chance of it happening 🙂

A harmony remote are programmable remotes you can set to do some advanced functions.
Eg, set a watch tv button. And it would run a set of commands to turn on the tv, turn on the Rogers box, turn on your surround sound, changes its input, switch it's setting to a specific surround sound mode, etc.

jjmartin
I Plan to Stick Around

I never use the On Demand, HD, or Music keys. The Music key I would be least likely to ever use. so if it could be programmed to toggle Closed Caption on and off it would be very convenient.

park
I'm an Advisor

Thx.

Does Rogers provide a harmony remote @ their store ?

If not where can we get one ?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @park

Rogers does not supply customers with those remotes. You have to purchase them your self. You have to get it from Best Buy, Canada Computers it even on Logitech website which offers it. I have the Harmony Elite ( which is the highest one). They do cost ranging from $69 - $400

ThiessenMJ
I've Been Here Awhile

That happened to me also and I thought cc did not work at all but then it worked on a different recording without my changing anything... The garbled cc appears to be an inconsistent occurrence (maybe related to older programming?..) This happened when I was watching two old movies (b&w). But I have not experienced it enough times to be able to have confidence that this is an actual pattern.

Really made me wish it was easier to turn cc off and on when watching recordings... I will remain hopeful that Rogers will remedy this inconvenient regression.

This is not a solution... it is a workaround!  The Navigatr is far less intuitive and useful than what was there before.  Hopefully Rogers will do something to fix what they have broken with this 'upgrade'.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, @RadioWave you are very correct that almost everything you are going to currently read is a workaround for poor design, nonintuitive design, and clearly no work with the customer base on a beta level.

There have been some solutions that came out of the feedback from the July rollout, with the November software builds from Cisco Videoscape (may actually be Technicolor and Cisco), and the December build rollout out december 15th, concurrently with the November builds, then some major issues like the power saving issue was dealt with by freezing the rollout, and then in the December builds were replaced with the January builds.

So few solutions to concerns and bugs have been developed to date, some have been damage control, but at the moment, we are all dealing with the November/January builds, and all we have are workarounds, along with some things we know that at the moment there is no going back to (The previous Nextbox builds with the old list and guide models, and it appears there is no going back from the tiles (at least at the moment anyway - this is the model that Espial uses at the moment is the tile model which is actually designed for IPTV and a completely different technical model).

The current rollouts are considered by Espial as interum moves allowing companies to move forward with the Espial IPTV model while taking advantage of running it in a limited way on the legacy QAM cable boxes.  They were confident in their presentations that it could be done, but it appears that they really werent prepared to do it by July, or even February of this year for that matter.

So yes, these are not solutions - they are workarounds, all developed by user experience, and definitely not intuitive or user friendly, not meeting the marketing expectations of better, faster, less clicks and other claims that this current design just cannot live up to as currently programmed.

Hopefully in the next build which looks at all we have put forward, we can see more solutions and improvements.

As I have said often, I can only hope, I am done being mad, and time will tell, but for me and many others, they are on the clock with a drop dead date of the end of my contract, and if necessary if it doesn't come soon enough, I will eat the cancellation fees and move on.

But for now, I just respond to people like yourself to valid your feelings, to clarify and to provide workarounds that at least let you use the device, and let you which ones just are not possible.

Remember that there is a gold mine of workarounds in this thread, but I will acknowledge that they are necessarily easy to find.  A few users are attempting to compile all we know about the box to assist others, but the reality it is only because we want to help, and we do have lives beyond trying to help.

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

@jjmartin wrote:

I never use the On Demand, HD, or Music keys. The Music key I would be least likely to ever use. so if it could be programmed to toggle Closed Caption on and off it would be very convenient.

Thx

Perhaps Rogers can spread a little fertilizer on us poor mushrooms ( the mods, frontline staff, and us customers )about which key it will use to give us a one key cc on/off across all modes; live, recordings, on demand, show me etc.

laneovic33
I'm Here A Lot
I had no idea of all the issues with the Navigatr guide and the development of it. I wish it had never been uploaded to my nextbox. I hope Rogers will remove this lousy new system and replace it with the old guide that worked fine. This is a waste of everyone's time and energy.

Unfortunately, its very doubtful that they will revert back 😞
(especially since the developers for the old guide no longer exist)

The most we can do at this point.. is PUSH for FIXES/alternatives, etc.

Yes, the current way to get CC on a recording is not a FIX.  

A fix is something that will have to be coded, implemented, rolled out.
Personally, i think its one of the bigest thing BROKEN on the new guide (most other things are not broken per say.. they are just a worse way of doing things)

But it is a least a semi work around, to enable users to at least access this function, until such a fix is imlementd.

If that is the case, I will look at alternatives to Rogers TV. They had a system that was fine and replaced it with a system that requires the user to take many more steps to perform the same functions as the previous one. This is a giant misstep by Rogers.

I wont argue with that.

Just make sure to research all your alternatives as well.
It will be a learning curve to possibly learn the alternatives systems as well, just to make sure you don't end up with something else you find just as frustrating.   Try and find a store were you can see a live unit, etc.

skhemraj66
I've Been Here Awhile

How do I turn on CC while watching a recorded program with the new Navigatr guide? When I press 'INFO' the playback pauses. Where do I find CC?

jjmartin
I Plan to Stick Around

To turn on CC while watching a recorded program, see message # 77 (it's not easy).

As mentioned.. its not EASY at the moment 😞
(this is a MAJOR deficiency in the current software and needs to be a top priority over many of the other things which people just dont like)

The only WORK AROUND so far for it, is to go into live TV, and turn it on there first.

Then start your recording.
This does seem to work for some recordings... well it works that it turns it on.. but some people have found specific recordings, that it comes out with garbled text.

rickschlau
I Plan to Stick Around

For Reference: I have NB3 with new Navigator from Jan/16 in Toronto. Basic Cable (channels 2-28 and equivalent HD). I use CC all the time. Live and Recorded. Works perfectly EXCEPT on CTV feeds!!

So, here's another quirk that showed up from last night. I set my box to record Super Bowl 50 on CTV (Cable 8). Now, I also set it to record Legends of Tomorrow on the same CTV (Cable 😎 that followed right after.

Guess what? When I went to watch them later on, CC worked perfectly on the Super Bowl recording. I was amazed.

Then, I went to watch the recording of Legends and because it was scheduled to record at 8:00pm, Super Bowl had not ended yet and so recorded the last 40 minutes of Super Bowl. But, this time when I watched the same last minutes of the game CC was garbled again like it usually always is on CTV! Wierd or what?

Is there somehow a difference of US feed to canada feed?

Take care everyone.

Huh.. that is interesting.

CTV does seem that one of the channels that people have specifically mentioned being an issue with the garbled CC, but only on recordings.

That it worked on one, and not the other..... feed is maybe a possibility..

That it works on LIVE though.. what it it doing to the CC header information or whatever, when its recording it?

rickschlau
I Plan to Stick Around

When I record CTV it only shows 2 or 3 garbled letters in the CC banner that often seem to want to spell CTV. Only this Super Bowl recording was different.

But, live TV I have no problems.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!