cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We just got the new navigator system for Nextbox and I can't figure out how to get closed captioning on tv shows that I have recorded and now want to watch.

In the past, I could turn CC off and on using the INFO button on the remote. Now when I select INFO, my recorded tv show stops and I go back to the recorded shows page. I contacted Rogers support and they don't know how to do it - they've set up a ticket for investigation; it will take up to 48 hours to get a response.

Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

corgi998
I'm Here A Lot

just figured out how to turn the cc on the navigatr.  You cannot turn it on if you are watching a show that you taped but you can turn it on while watching any 'live' channel. 

Press 'info' button on remote, click on more (on the right hand side) scroll down using your down arrow button to 'cc on' and it will turn it on. 

When you want to turn it off just do the same thing but turn 'cc off'.

hope this helps!

View solution in original post

298 REPLIES 298

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Unfortunatly, most of us RE's haven't had a chance to go hands on with Navigatr yet.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a few of us with NO navigatr capable boxes..

And the rest of us, live in the areas getting it later 😛

We REALLY need to be in a TEST group for these things...

Maybe we would have found some of the bugs like the 8642 wipe... >.>

^Agreed. <.< (@Gdkitty)

Hi @KWoo - Suggestion wise: Have you gone into settings and see if CC is located there? There should be a "Settings" Button on your remote or "Menu"

I also am in the area that gets it later.

HOPEFULLY it has not gone back to the SARA way of enable/disable CC..

What is this SARA way? o__o

corgi998
I'm Here A Lot

just figured out how to turn the cc on the navigatr.  You cannot turn it on if you are watching a show that you taped but you can turn it on while watching any 'live' channel. 

Press 'info' button on remote, click on more (on the right hand side) scroll down using your down arrow button to 'cc on' and it will turn it on. 

When you want to turn it off just do the same thing but turn 'cc off'.

hope this helps!

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks corgi998. I knew how to turn it on watching live tv......assumed it would be the same for recorded shows! Just have to remember to turn it on while live before switching to something on the pvr. Appreciate the assistance.

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@KWoo wrote:

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We just got the new navigator system for Nextbox and I can't figure out how to get closed captioning on tv shows that I have recorded and now want to watch.

In the past, I could turn CC off and on using the INFO button on the remote. Now when I select INFO, my recorded tv show stops and I go back to the recorded shows page. I contacted Rogers support and they don't know how to do it - they've set up a ticket for investigation; it will take up to 48 hours to get a response.

Situation: ridiculous. Further proof that Navigatr was not tested properly.

Further proof of poor design.

bushja
I've Been Here Awhile

Navigatr doesn't show any settings.  It's just a blank grey screen.  Another bug no doubt.  For people who need CC it's helpful but it's very annoying for those that don't need it.   

cu389
I've Been Here Awhile

How can you select the "More" button.. I tried it all night last night and still cannot figure it out..  I tried the Arrow key, volume key, channel key and none works

cu389
I've Been Here Awhile

I meant the "more" button after you hit the "info" button

on the Nextbox 3.0 when you hit the info button when you're watching live tv it should pop up on the right hand side 'record this program', 'record this series', then the 'more' button click on that and you will get to the section that you can turn on cc. it will says 'cc on'.

cu389
I've Been Here Awhile

Looks like another glitch with NB2 which I have.  It show the "More" button on screen right hand corner after I hit the "info" button on the remote.. But there is no way I can navigate to the "More" button to select it..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Seems like ANOTHER bug around the NB2.

The settings not always being accessible.
Wiped Recordings.
PIN requirements all the time.
Now this potential issue..

Personally.. i beleive the the Navigatr guide should be rolled back on all NB2s at this point 😞

KWoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Now that I know how to turn on the CC, I haven't encountered any more big issues - all my recordings are intact, I can access Settings, Info, etc. Having said that, there are other things that are an annoyance but they don't stop me from doing what I need.

For example:

• Recorded shows and scheduled recordings are all grouped together by show. 
  • Can't see full description of recorded show, even when selecting "Info"
  • When you sort recordings alphabetically and save the setting, it reverts back to "Most recent" each time you go back into recordings

Overall, I'm not convinced the new navigatr is making my life easier and enhancing my viewing experience!!

cu389
I've Been Here Awhile

OK.. finally found a solution to turn on the CC on a NB2 for now.  While watching live TV, hit "Guide" button on remote.  This brings up the guide menu with the live TV channel on.  Then hit "info" on remote which will then add another sub menu on the right hand side of the Guide screen.  Scroll down using the arrow key to "Turn CC on" .  Then hit exit to go back to the regular Guide screen and hit exit again to go back to the live TV channel.. 

theClubHopper

The OP's original issue, which he said Rogers staff couldn't even provide a solution for, still has no solution - and won't until the software is updated with a fix.

The problem posted was that Navigatr provides no way for users to bring up CC on RECORDINGS, only on live(/cached live) tv.

If you turn on the cc the way I did while watching live tv my cc comes on automatically on my already taped programs. I have the Nextbox 3.0 perhaps you have the model before this one?

theClubHopper

@corgi998 wrote:
If you turn on the cc the way I did while watching live tv my cc comes on automatically on my already taped programs. I have the Nextbox 3.0 perhaps you have the model before this one?

Ah, now I understand - and having tested your instruction abov, I stand corrected.

The wording in your original post, that was marked as "the Solution" was, from my perspective, a bit ambiguous. If the 1st sentence had started with "just figured out how to turn [on] the cc on the navigatr" and finished with the key addition alluded to above, ".. and keep it on so you can have cc while watching recordings"... that would have been more clear - especially as some people were apparently having issues just finding 'CC' on live tv. I read your post as you were sharing you'd just figured that out.

Thanks for the clarification and workaround.

glad that cc is working for you. Now if they can create a list of programs that we have set to tape for the day (as it was before), that would be a lot easier to find out if anything has been missed. All the best
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!