Cisco PVR & TV Call Display

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Cisco PVR & TV Call Display

Pauly - any word when Rogers is going to get this working on Cisco terminals?  Waiting 7 months for something we had seems like Rogers doesnt really care.

Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

Well, it's now July and still no Quick Start guide, TV Call Display or Remote TV Manager for the 8642HD. Any idea when these will finally appear?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers is the worst. How do they sell something that's not compatible with all their services. Been over a year now since I bought my 8642's and still no TV Call Display. Wouldn't hold my breath on the Remote TV Manager.
I've Been Around

August 22, 2011 and I'm finding out tonight that Rogers "suggests that it may be Christmas 2011" when the TV call Display feature may work. Their interim suggestion is to take the 8642 back to a Rogers store and exchange it for a box that supports TV Call Display.
I'm a Senior Advisor

It's all being tested right now.. Last time they did a big firmware update it was a nightmare with tons of problems.. I'm just glad they are taking the time to test it this time around...
I've Been Here Awhile

I also purchased a PVR back in July of 2010 and returned it because it did not support the 'lobby channel' as well as the features mentioned.  I returned it after calling Rogers and been told that It would be available 'in the near future' but were unable to give a timetable.  Staff at the Rogers Plus Store did not know anything about these problems.

Since that time I have inquired as to when this problem would be taken care and to date have received the same 'in the near future' answer......still waiting 1+ yrs later.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

a select group of people are testing it right now as we speak. no one can give you a definite answer because no one knows, they arent lying, no one really knows when this will be launched to the public.

as for the lobby channel, just run a splitter and connect your wall outlet to the tv and tune into the NTSC cable channel 59 to see the lobby cam, none of the new boxes may ever support this, its not a "were working on it" either problem, the boxes do not contain the tuners that are required to pick up this channel.

I've Been Around

A year ago I bought a new PVR Explorer 8642HD. Prior to that I had a rental from Rogers and was able to get call display while watching TV. At that time I called Rogers and the told me that it should be available on my PVR shortly. It has been a year and I still don't have that capability. It does however work on older technology.

Any update as to when I will have this option back again.

I've Been Around

As a firmware engineer it strikes me as remarkably odd that it would take a corporation the size of Rogers with, one can only assume, seemingly decent resources at hand to implement the caller display ID functionaliy.  Especially as they have an existing working model of it on an early piece of HW.  I imagine that it simply wasn't a priority.

However, the lack of this feature, whilst unfortunate, does not compare to a problem I am starting to discover is common amongst other owners of the HD8642 box.  It seems that one in every 5 or 6 attempts to access and play On Demand shows/films results in the box politely telling you that: "Sorry video on demand is not currenty available" (or something to that effect).  At which point the box is rendered useless, the guide functions but all channel selections result in a black screen.  At this time I see/hear no evidence that this issue is being worked on by Rogers, providing it can even be fixed by a FW update at all?  Given that not everyone seems to be experiencing this problem I wonder whether it is perhaps some marginal HW issue on a number of boxes, perhaps if you swap boxes enough times you'll acquire one that is tolerate of the problem... who knows?

Finally, for me at least, there is about a 10% chance that for any given scheduled recording the box will simply fail to begin recording at all upon hitting the start time of the recording.  So, to be "certain" the recording will always begin when you set it for, you would have to babysit the box and if finding it not recording then intervene and hope you can kick start the recording immediately by tuning to the channel directly and starting the recording manually.

Does anyone know, Rogers employee or otherwise, whether such problems are being addressed and, providing it is not a limiation of the HW, what sort of ETA we might expect for fixes to these?

I Plan to Stick Around

As far as I can tell, the firmware release (quick start) for the 8642 was scheduled to be released much earlier . . . like in the last spring timeframe.  But the total FUBAR firmware releases for the 8300 made someone at Rogers take a step back.  It appears that they decided to hold off on upgrading the 8642s until they got all or most of the issues with the 8300 resolved.

I would like to point out that the hardware itself is definately NOT at fault..  I stayed in a condo in Florida a few weeks ago and the owner had a 8300.  They have Bright House networks there and the menu system/guide was spectacular . . . MUCH better than what we have.  I believe they use Passport software rather than SARA.