cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco PVR & TV Call Display

marc_cadieux
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone know if Rogers is working on getting all of us people with the newest technology the ability to see who is calling us on our home phone from our TV. From what I understand you need a S.A box.. not a Cisco box... which I have. I want to know if there is something in the works that will soon allow me to have a feature I am paying for that works. (I know it's included in the called ID feature.. but still..)

***Edited labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Cisco PVR & TV Call Display

JohnS
I Plan to Stick Around
Thank you. Tha cleared up my questions.

BobF4321
I Plan to Stick Around

This problem still exists for me here in Ottawa.  The software has been rolled out: when tuning to channel 975 I see the TV Call Display screen and menu options, but at the bottom of the screen I see "Not authorized".  Interestingly, the first time I tune to 975 after booting the box, I see "Not Registered" for a split second, then it changes to "Not Authorized".  Also, it works fine on my 8300HD box, so my account is registered and authorized for TV Call Display.  When I called Rogers they confirmed I was registered for it, for both boxes.  They set up a service call for me, but when the technician called he admitted he was doubtful if he could help.. the box looked healthy from his end, and signal levels were fine.  Sounds like a bug in the new software.

What they had to do when i got mine.. was they REMOVED it from the account, then re added it, and then it worked.

BobF4321
I Plan to Stick Around

Magically working for me today... maybe my trouble call got seen by the right person... or they fixed a software bug.

Maybe when they were looking at it, it just gave it a nudge.. and it just took TIME to push out, etc so that the whole system, your box, etc, knew you were authorized.

Glad to hear its working.

BigJug
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Interestingly, the TV call display will NOT work on a Cisco 4642, or 8642 with the OLD software loaded.  It only works with the new software on these boxes.

This is somewhat contradictory as when the Cisco box has the old software, it looks and behaves much like an 8300, and the TV call display works with an 8300 with (obviously) the old software.

I was told it has something to do with the actual box.  Older SA boxes support it with old firmware, new Cisco boxes only support it when new firmware is loaded & wll not work with old firmware.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its been a while.. but its something with the signal, if i remember correctly.

While the newer boxes, can have the old guide on them, the receiver part in the box, can not recive that older style of signal.. so they couldnt display it.

They changed/added the type of signal, so the new guide could see it.. but have never (and maybe cant) add that to the old guide, for the new box... likely as not to conflict with the older boxes, as they likely cant do the NEW way.

erpexec
I've Been Here Awhile

Absolutely the truth!  We spend 6 months in Lakeland and have the Cisco box there and it is outstanding, menus look the same but the functionality is so much better.  The program search runs circles around Rogers, plug in a program and it will show you every occurance months ahead and you can lock it in, unlike Rogers with its max of 7 days!.

Oh yes, the TV ID works like a champ too, spent hours trying to find the channel to set it today before I came here as a last resort and find it doesn't exist.  Wish I had kept my old Scientific Atlanta box now.  At least it worked.

erpexec
I've Been Here Awhile

They said August, but did they tell you what YEAR?

Caller ID channel IS there.  Channek 975.
I am on it right now.

Now, you need to have the NEW guide on the cisco boxes, and the caller ID feature enabled for your homephone for it to show up.

IF you do not have it set up, you need to call in to have them enable it.

thebebman
I've Been Here Awhile

Good post. Same here. NextBox 2.0 did not support Call Display. Many calls @ rogers. Are with NextBox 3.0 Call Display suportted and works well and fast. This forum better than rogers support.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Nextbox 2 did support the call display, I had it myself. You had to have the new guide on that box though for it.
Topic Stats