Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand&a

Could still be an 8300SD as there are a few of those kicking around still.  OP should see on the front of the panel, in the upper right corner it will either say 8300HD, or JUST 8300 (which would indicate a standard box).

But you should try to connect the box with a different set of wires to try and rule that out.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand&a

Tried repacing the cable between the digital box (non HD) and the TV.  Still turns Black and White when we go to "On Demand"

Next step is to change the cable that comes into the box in the first place......

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Replaced the cable coming into the digital box (from the splitter) and still have the Black and White screen when we turn to "On Demand".....the screen flashes in colour for about two seconds, then goes to black and white. Same thing happens if you select an On Demand TV show ...flashes in colour for two seconds then goes to black and white.

Riddle me this....our son's TV is upstairs running off the other side of the splitter, and he can watch On Demand programs in colour (on our original 8300 non HD box, that was where we had the problem in the first place).

Suggestions?  Next, I thought, is it possible that one side of the splitter isn't working but the other side is? So I switched the cables coming out of the splitter: My son still gets colour images on his TV in the "On Demand" area and our TV still switches to Black and White when we go into On Demand.

Does this mean the problem is my TV? is that even possible? everything else plays fine on our TV: Cable TV, DVD's,  PlayStation video games and Netflix.

Very Frustrated!!! any suggestions welcome...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

HOW or WHY... i dont know...

But...  yeah.. you have done ever single trouble shooting thing i can think of now.. and that seems to be the ONLY thing left..
That SOMEHOW the TV is interpreting the TV signal differently..

Now, i think we narrowed it down to, that it was a monster HDMI cable?

Does the TV have multiple hdmi inputs on it? Have you tried another input?  I know some TVs have things like ARC (audio return channel, etc) sometimes now on one input.. and possibly that input is taking some signal wierd?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When all this started, it was a Monster coaxial cable running from the PVR box to the TV.  (My son is successfully using a regular coaxial cable on his).   Good idea, I will see if another input is available (maybe one of those red, white, yellow connections)?

Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

is your box outputting on fixed or passthru and have you tried changing this setting durring your troubleshooting?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah if you dont have another input to try the same of that input.

You can try one of the others.

Now, i woudlnt use the red, white, yellow, if you have a choice.  This is a composite connection.. and will give an SD picture only.

You would be better to go with a component connection.  The video has the Red, Green, Blue.  For audio, can do the red and white (or a optical or digital if the tv supports it).  This will give you a HD picture.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can you please explain " outputting on fixed or passthru" and how I change it?

thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Solved: replaced the connection between the PVR box and our TV with red/white/yellow cords and we now have Rogers On Demand that doesn't turn to black and white.  Thanks everyone for tyour help.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@speece123 wrote:

Solved: replaced the connection between the PVR box and our TV with red/white/yellow cords and we now have Rogers On Demand that doesn't turn to black and white.  Thanks everyone for tyour help.

Except you now have a new problem....no more high definition programming.

The RCA cables (red, white,yellow) are not capable of carrying an HD signal.