cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand"

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

My first time on here, and looking for some advice: Our digital TV image switches to Black and White whenever we try to rent a movie or watch anything "on Demand". This started a few weeks ago.  I told Rogers, and they sent me a replacement box and it does the same thing. Any ideas from the folks in this group? When we switch back to regular TV the screen goes back to colour, and when we play back programs that we have recorded on the box, they play in colour.  thanks

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand&a

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Solved: replaced the connection between the PVR box and our TV with red/white/yellow cords and we now have Rogers On Demand that doesn't turn to black and white.  Thanks everyone for tyour help.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand&q

BigJug
I'm a Reliable Contributor

how do you have your box connected to your television?  Are you connected via an HDMI cable? or are you using component? Also, do you have a home theatre system (surround system)?  If your passing your signal through a reciever, then reciever connected to your tv, you might want to try bypassing that.

Let us know, give us more info and we'll try our best to help.

Re: Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand&a

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank You, I will double check, but I think the cable goes into the box, and the box goes to the TV via Monster cable.

the Rogers on Demand function worked fine until about two months ago, then suddenly went to black and white...

willl post more details tomorrow

Thanks

Re: Cisco PVR Digital Box: Screen turns to Black and White image when we switch to "On Demand&q

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I would think the cable would be fine that it plays other stuff fine.
Worth a try swapping cables just in case to eliminate it.

That it happened on both boxes, says to me its something else.

The signal it sends out for rod and regular tv should be the same, so I don't see it being the tv interpreting it wrong (only variance i have seen the audio signal from 2.0 to 5.1)

BigJug

whats the model of the box? 

If your using one of Rogers newer boxes (8642, or 4642) what menu style is loaded on the box.  There are 2 different types, either the older guide - which usually has bars on the side when you press guide - or the newer guide - which has a Black and Red theme and usually fill the screen completely when you press guide (assuming you have a wide screen tv).

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Exactly.

What menu is on the boxes? There are 2 different guides. One that is white & purple & the new one which is black & red with the new style guide.

BigJug

@Meowmix wrote:

Exactly.

One that is white & purple & the new one which is black & red with the new style guide.

Keep in mind Meowmix that one can change the colour of the guide... I personnally set mine to Aquarium, which gives it a green theme... but yes, typically the default colour is purple.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello BigJug

That is true!. The default like you said is purple so most will have it set on purple unless they change it. The new guy is pure black & Red & the colors do not change.

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, so here's an update: Turns out that my box is not a Cisco,  it is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300.

Rogers did send me a replacement, which looks pretty beat up, so its obviously "reconditioned".

(My original box was not HD and it seems there are very few of those around anymore)

I don't have surround sound, and the box is connected directly to the TV with a Monster cable.

My TV is a 7 year old Samsung, which I thought was not HD, but when my son recently hooked up Playstation and Netflix, it does now seem to be HD after all. (we don't have HD service, or an HD box)

Anyway, I'm thinking that my problem may be in the MOnster cable connection.  We still have the original box, which had the black and white problem in the first place, and my son hooked it to his TV and can view Rogers ON Demand programs without them turning to black and white. I am going to try a new cable soon.

Any other comments are appreciated, and I am thankful for this forum, because Rogers technical support can be a bit frustrating

The 8300 is an HD box.  ANd pretty much, if you are on digital cable, with that box, and using the RIGHT cables.. you are getting HD from it 🙂  You may have had the SD PVR before.  Even if not, there were HD signals on regular old CRT tvs before the widescreen.. you could get 480i through component on them.
(being you say MOSTER cables, its likely an HDMI if its one single cable.. or component if its 3+2 cables).

If its working fine on his TV.. that would be the first thing to check.  Try a different set of cables, with your tv.

BigJug

Could still be an 8300SD as there are a few of those kicking around still.  OP should see on the front of the panel, in the upper right corner it will either say 8300HD, or JUST 8300 (which would indicate a standard box).

But you should try to connect the box with a different set of wires to try and rule that out.

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried repacing the cable between the digital box (non HD) and the TV.  Still turns Black and White when we go to "On Demand"

Next step is to change the cable that comes into the box in the first place......

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Replaced the cable coming into the digital box (from the splitter) and still have the Black and White screen when we turn to "On Demand".....the screen flashes in colour for about two seconds, then goes to black and white. Same thing happens if you select an On Demand TV show ...flashes in colour for two seconds then goes to black and white.

Riddle me this....our son's TV is upstairs running off the other side of the splitter, and he can watch On Demand programs in colour (on our original 8300 non HD box, that was where we had the problem in the first place).

Suggestions?  Next, I thought, is it possible that one side of the splitter isn't working but the other side is? So I switched the cables coming out of the splitter: My son still gets colour images on his TV in the "On Demand" area and our TV still switches to Black and White when we go into On Demand.

Does this mean the problem is my TV? is that even possible? everything else plays fine on our TV: Cable TV, DVD's,  PlayStation video games and Netflix.

Very Frustrated!!! any suggestions welcome...

HOW or WHY... i dont know...

But...  yeah.. you have done ever single trouble shooting thing i can think of now.. and that seems to be the ONLY thing left..
That SOMEHOW the TV is interpreting the TV signal differently..

Now, i think we narrowed it down to, that it was a monster HDMI cable?

Does the TV have multiple hdmi inputs on it? Have you tried another input?  I know some TVs have things like ARC (audio return channel, etc) sometimes now on one input.. and possibly that input is taking some signal wierd?

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

When all this started, it was a Monster coaxial cable running from the PVR box to the TV.  (My son is successfully using a regular coaxial cable on his).   Good idea, I will see if another input is available (maybe one of those red, white, yellow connections)?

Thanks

is your box outputting on fixed or passthru and have you tried changing this setting durring your troubleshooting?

Yeah if you dont have another input to try the same of that input.

You can try one of the others.

Now, i woudlnt use the red, white, yellow, if you have a choice.  This is a composite connection.. and will give an SD picture only.

You would be better to go with a component connection.  The video has the Red, Green, Blue.  For audio, can do the red and white (or a optical or digital if the tv supports it).  This will give you a HD picture.

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Can you please explain " outputting on fixed or passthru" and how I change it?

thanks

speece123
I Plan to Stick Around

Solved: replaced the connection between the PVR box and our TV with red/white/yellow cords and we now have Rogers On Demand that doesn't turn to black and white.  Thanks everyone for tyour help.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@speece123 wrote:

Except you now have a new problem....no more high definition programming.

The RCA cables (red, white,yellow) are not capable of carrying an HD signal.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

The OP stated:

'Turns out that my box is not a Cisco,  it is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300. Rogers did send me a replacement, which looks pretty beat up, so its obviously "reconditioned". (My original box was not HD and it seems there are very few of those around anymore)'

So he's not expecting HD. My SD 8300 does not have a HDMI output. However I think remember reading that before Rogers discontinued using the 8300's, some HD models were given to SD customers. maybe with the HD capability disabled.

(I have a SA8300 SD that was given to me by Rogers "for being a good customer" after they were discontinued.)

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation