Cisco Nextbox 3.0: Beta testing now in your home!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cisco Nextbox 3.0: Beta testing now in your home!

Rogers customers, are you interested in becoming a beta test site for the new Cisco Nextbox 3.0 8-channel PVR? Simply visit your local Rogers store pick up a unit and bring it home. Once you've authorized your new Cisco Nextbox 3.0 using Rogers' call-in support you will be part of one of the largest beta tests in history. Expect audio drop-outs, video pixelization, slow response to IR inputs, elimination of commercial skip and regular 02:00 AM firmware updates/reboots.

You will become familiar with the "reset digital box" function on the Rogers website. Don't forget to unpower the Cisco Nextbox 3.0 after every "reset digital box" attempt. Please note that the "reset digital box" function only works when the Rogers website does, and then not all the time.

For those beta testers looking to experiment, try and determine how many sheets of paper need to be taped over the IR port on the Cisco Nextbox 3.0 in order for it to function reasonably with a plasma television.

Beta testers will learn more than they ever will want to learn about all aspects of cable television, firmware updates, IR leakage and 43 minute wait times for chat sessions with Rogers technicians.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco Nextbox 3.0: Beta testing now in your home!

While i agree in general.. there was MORE testing that was needed on this (and all their other boxes as well).. Not everyone experiences what you are having issues with .

Audio dropouts - Yes appear to be a mostly global issue.. if your talking about the 5.1 to 2.0 droput issue.
If its just audio/video droupts in general when say straight into a TV, etc.. that is more likely signal related.. this box is VERY prone to issue with even a slightly weaker signal.

Commercial skip, if you dont have it.. something is just wrong on your box.  It works fine on mine, and on many others just fine.

The IR receiver on these boxes, compared to say the 8300's etc.. is a much better IR receiver.  Picks up the remote better, etc.  Its actually lightning fast for IR responses, if you are not having the leakage issue.

Because its a more better IR receiver.. what its picking up on normally, is from the TV itself.  Most of the more recent Plasma/LCD/LED TVs often have a eco mode, or similar, which change the TV brightness based on what it senses the rooms light level being.  It is THIS IR sensor, which is producing the SPRAY, which is interfearing with the box picking up the remote signals properly.
If you turn that function off on the TV, 90% of the time, then the box is perfectly fine.   This can effect potentially ANY devices in the same area ( i have heard of people with DVD/Bluray drives having the same thing).  Or a change in location of the box where its receiving.

I am not trying to discredit what you are saying.  There are issues which still need to be addressed/fixed with it.
But with a working setup, proper signal, etc... the box runs perfectly fine. (i have been running one since about day one with very little problems.. less that on the NB2)

Are you able to check what firmware you are on? Possibly hasnt been updated fully.
you can check that from  Settings > Troubleshooting > System information.   Should be in 4.x.x.130

I've Been Here Awhile

Revered Diamond Monarch:

Audio/Video freezing seems to improve after a reset/reboot, but certainly not perfect. Hard to watch sporting events in the current situation.

30 second commercial skip: If you can provide a hack/workaround that implements a 30 second skip forward I would appreciate it. I am using a Logitech Harmony One remote so I can do some basic programming for key inputs. Up until yesterday "+" would skip 3 minutes ahead, that function went away in the night with the arrival of the most recent firmware.

Firmware: Settings > Troubleshooting brings two choices, Reboot Set-top Box or Restore Factory Settings. No option to determine the firmware revision.

IR: 4 pieces of inkjet paper over the IR port resolves most of the problems.

I really, really miss the Motorola/Eastlink setup I had in Northern Ontario.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you had a tech out to confirm your signal levels?

That i know of.. there wasnt a 30 second skip... unless it was on the old 8300 box (which havent had for quite a number of years.. maybe a 8300 user can confirm).  The 3 min skip, i tested last night on my box before my post... hit the +, went 3 min ahead.

When you are on that screen, where is say the reboot, etc.. there are 2 more tabs across the top there.  Hit the RIGHT arrow, that will bring you to the system information screen (forget what the last one is.. not at home so cant check)

Back with the NB2 release.. this is something that started that far back, at least with Rogers.  I did a bunch of research at that time on it, to help find a solution. 
Durring that, i found that its NOT solely the rogers (cisco) boxes that have this issue.. it can effect many other devices as well, all depends on the device receiver. (I actually have found out over the weekend, that my media center remote reciever, has issues when i tried to move the reciever location, moved it back, its fine).
Again.. its the spray from the TV which is causing it 😞   So only options are A ) to do something like you have on the receiver end, which would help filter noise out from infront of it... or B ) to turn the option off on the TV which creates the noise.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah the 30 second does not work on Rogers PVR's I know Bell has the 30 second forward and 7 seconds rewind, this way makes sense if you are on the comercials you can skip ahead by 30 Seconds as usually each commercial is about 30 seconds, but 3 minutes??? thats way too much time there, you will be way ahead of the program after skipping 3 minutes of comercials...Hopefully rogers will get that looked at and fixed.. thats good old rogers to you.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On average (again, average, so doesnt work for ALL stations, etc). Statisticaly wise... there is about 22 mins of commercials per a 1 hour show... so up to 11 per a 30 min show.  Usually 1-3 commercial breaks.  At 2-3 commercial breaks.. that breaks down to somewhere 2-3 mins per commerical break.

I have used it ocassionaly.. and found it worked, at used it on those channels.  Though i tend to normally just FF through them.

But agreed, it is a little long.  A smaller increment would be better.

But hey.. up until recently with the new guide which came out with the NB2, there was NO skip option period.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How about a 30 second google search to bring up the basic statistics?

2 mins of web browsing a few sites to confirm values.
Then 5 seconds of math to calculate what the breakdown will be?

(ontop of that.. its a very simple thing to know, if one has ever downloaded a show from the internet.. those 30 mins shows on TV, are usually 20-22 mintues long in actual length with commercials cut out)

Again, i agree that it should be a smaller value.. to accomodate the smaller commercial sets.. but i can understand how/why rogers did that value... hopefuly they can modify it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

While 3 minutes is generally how long blocks of commercials take, there are times that it's more or less, so a 3 minute skip would need to be udjusted back and forth enough times to make it annoying. I have a DVDR that I used a lot before I had the 8300 and it had a 30 second commercial slip button. After becoming familiar with the various shows I recorded, I was able to nail the number of times I needed to hit the skip button. In my opinion, a 30 second skip would be more useful. However, I believe the signal contains cues for when commercials and program begin, so it should be possible to automatically eliminate commercials, but I suppose that's not legal.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure if its an 'illegal' thing.. but definately a frowned upon thing.  People pay for those commercials, they want people to see them.. auto removing them.. makes them pointless to have there then.
When they added this feature, when i was at the release party for the NB3, i remember one of the head guys there saying, that they were already getting flack from some stations about it 😛

Would be nice.. if say commercials were STANDARDIZED.. same length, same # always, etc.. would make it alot easier 😛