cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco DPC3825

stanhum
I've Been Around

I just upgraded to the Cisco DPC3825 from the SMC, so I thought.  I had the SMC on the top floor of a two story house and I was able to get a signal in the basement.  Now that I got the Cisco DPC3825, I can no longer get a signal down there.  I brought the gateway to the middle floor but still can't get a signal.  Is there any way I can boost the signal or should I return it and get back the SMC?  Someone please help me?  The channel has been changed.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cisco DPC3825

Contractor
I Plan to Stick Around

The OP's issue sounds like an RF issue. Have you called the call centre to insure your Tx/Rx are at the appropriate levels? If not a service technician will need to roll to your home to assess the issue. As for the modems kicking off randomly over night, no explanation I can give you other than it's most likely over night maintenance, you can call in to RHSI tech support to enquire about such things if its impacting your use of the service.

I am a contractor for Rogers. My comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I'm simply here to pass along any helpful information I've acquired in the field to improve YOUR experience with their services.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Cisco DPC3825

Banjax
I've Been Around

Hello everyone for the past I'd say about 2-3 weeks my internet has been a nuisance. There is times where it will work, Drop back down to the DS light, come back to the Online light, the online light will blink a couple times then drop back down or just not go solid. Other times it works like right now but will drop out of no where which forces me to pull out the power cable plug it back in which will then make it work for about 15-20 mins if I am lucky. I have no idea what to do next, I tried restarting my computer,Changing DNS, Resetting to Factory Settings,Disable my Anti-Virus, Disabled/Enabled DHPC. If anyone has any other ideas on what it could be it would be greatly appreciated if you can help me out. I don't understand why Rogers cannot just give me a normal Modem to use with my D-link which I just bought. Unless I can and I am not sure how too. Anyways Thanks to all in advanced.

Cisco DPC3825

@Banjax:

it sounds like you have been trying lots of different things.  Kind of frustrating, when nothing seems to work, and no solution is in sight.

The Cisco box is a combined modem/router.  I would first make sure of where the connection is being dropped.  Can you still ping the router address from your computer when you have lost your connection?  What do the front panel lights on the Cisco device tell you, if any thing?

If you are using wireless to connect to the Cisco device, try connecting to it with an ethernet wired connection instead while you are doing your troubleshooting.  That way you don't need to worry about WiFi issues.

As well, you could try and set up your PC with a fixed IP address, rather than using the DHCP functions of the router.  This is another way to eliminate a possible problem area.

I found the documentation for this device at:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4021196_B.pdf

On page 80 it describes the event logging capabilities of the device.  I would investigate how to set up logging and then see what the event logging tells you about the reasons for the problems you are having.

The router section of the device also lets you do ping tests.  See if you can ping, let's say, some well-known IP addresses, for example, 8.8.8.8 when your problems occur.

Good Luck.

skinorth

Cisco DPC3825

Matter
I Plan to Stick Around

I have this problem as well, but it's really strange. I can go the whole day playing online games or talking on Skype. But at about 3AM the device always disconnects and the "Online" light isn't lit up.

Cisco DPC3825

@Matter:

sounds like Rogers might be doing scheduled maintenance at a specific time during the wee hours.  Or, they're just trying to tell you to go to bed?????Smiley Wink

skinorth

Cisco DPC3825

Matter
I Plan to Stick Around

This time it happened at around 6AM, I know because I have a Twitter client and I just judge based on when the last tweet loaded. I would wake up, disconnect the power for a second, and the device would reconnect just fine.

This issue never happened to me on my old Motorola Surfboard, but of course I need the whole DOCSIS 3 gateway...

Which actually brings me to my next point, this whole modem+router deal is just stupid. I own a router that can out perform anything Rogers offers. Anyways, I turned the router intro bridge mode, and it doesn't really allow me to change any settings anymore. I'm guessing this issue could be fixed by some firmware update, but I haven't seen any yet.

Re: Cisco DPC3825

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@stanhum:

you are not alone, unfortunately.  Check out the following thread from September of this year:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/424...

Also, regretably, the initiator of that posting did not mention what, if any resolution was found for the wireless problems being experienced.

Other sources on the web have given the DPC3825 negative reviews.  See the following:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/cisco-model-dpc3825-8x4/4505-3319_7-34048718.html

Here is a quote from the above:

"This gateway is not a native Cisco product its from Scientic Atlanta so they don't "own" or stand behind it. Cisco will only support Enterprise users when it can be purchased via the web through other outlets. My dealiing with Cisco was beyond poor. Note that Cisco makes Linksys ..."

So, draw your own conclusions on the motivations of Cisco and Rogers when they offer apparently substandard devices with underwhelming support but at exorbitant pricSmiley Mades.

But, if you do find an answer or solution to your problems, please post here for those who will inevitably and, apparently painfully, follow in your footsteps.

skinorth

Cisco DPC3825

jeffcggt
I've Been Around

I've had no internet connection since the firmware update Rogers rolled out Monday night to my Cisco DPC3825. The router just keeps cycling, only momentarily holding a connect in betwen each reset. I called first thing Tuesday morning and set up a ticket. This morning I received an automated message saying the issue has been solved, but it wasn't. I called Rogers again and was told to take in the router and have it exchanged. I did that, returned home and the problem of a constantly resetting router remains.

This is what I'm thinking happened. The firmware update to Cisco DPC3825 (in light of recent speed changes) failed on some units. Exchanging them for new units in store doesn't resolve the situation because they too are on the older firmware. Rogers tech support is not able to communicate with these modems, so cannot force an update to the firmware. I just spoke with another tech rep and she placed a new ticket.

I know of 1 other person this is affecting in my building. If anyone has any insight on how this can be resolved I'd really appreciate it. 

Unless they can re-communicate with them, or manually can hand out the firmware to update manually... I'm at a loss. Unless you can get ahold of one already on the new firmware?
Or swap it for the smc.

Cisco DPC3825

Contractor
I Plan to Stick Around

The OP's issue sounds like an RF issue. Have you called the call centre to insure your Tx/Rx are at the appropriate levels? If not a service technician will need to roll to your home to assess the issue. As for the modems kicking off randomly over night, no explanation I can give you other than it's most likely over night maintenance, you can call in to RHSI tech support to enquire about such things if its impacting your use of the service.

I am a contractor for Rogers. My comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I'm simply here to pass along any helpful information I've acquired in the field to improve YOUR experience with their services.

Cisco DPC3825

GordOh
I Plan to Stick Around

I was having the same problems with the DPC3825. Bottom line is it may be a good modem but it is a horrible router. I ended up switching back to my 10 year old Linksys router and surprise - steady uninterrupted wireless connection on all devices. 

GordOh
I Plan to Stick Around

Try resetting it with a hammer.

If that doesn't work, use it only as a modem and pick-up a Linksys router for your wireless needs.

It's a horrible, horrible router

GordOh
I Plan to Stick Around

You must reset the router with a brick or hammer.

If that doesn't work then continue to use it as a modem but pick up a Linksys router for your wireless (any Linksys router manufactured after 1975 would be better than the DPC 3825)

Happy trails

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If you call Rogers, their response will probably be to reboot the modem. In the vein of what GordOh has suggested, I would further add that there is only one place to boot this modem and that is out the window! I would further suggest that there is no such thing as an "upgrade" to a Rogers D3 modem. To use a 3rd party router, which should solve any wifi signal issues, you will have to have the Cisco modem placed into bridge mode!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Well, not technically.
The BEST way is to put in bridged mode, and let the router handle all routing and wireless.

The routing on these units is actually not too bad. It's usually the wireless that is the issue. By disabling the wireless on the device, and pluging in a wireless router with dhcp off, etc, you can turn the router into a wireless access point.
I have had this setup with both the Cisco and smc, and does work.

But the preferred method generally, is bridged mode.
Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 in conversation