Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

@beverage wrote:

I never had this issue with my old modem and I'm having this issue while wired (and wifi) so, to me, it seems clear that it's an issue with the DPC3825.

Was the old modem DOCSIS 2?

If yes, DOCSIS 2 uses different channels (and different gear on the Rogers headend side) from DOCSIS 3. It's perfectly possible that there would be a problem between your modem and the headend that would only affect the DOCSIS 3.

That being said, re your claim that the DPC 3825 'should be able to do the job', I think many people around here have found that the Rogers gateways are not capable of handling even basic NAT/wireless duties.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Well, it is August 2014.   I just handed in SMC Router and replaced with Cisco DSP3825.   I experienced the same internet disconnecting issues the people are talking about since 2011.   After talking to tech supports and getting no where, I went to Rogers store and replaced the unit with another one.   It works little better than the first one, but connection still drops every 15 minutes or so.

I could not see if anyone actually resolved the issue other than having to using the bridge mode.   I just find frustrating that I have to pay $8 / month for rental fee for a device that is not working properly.    Has anyone found a solution without having to use the bridge mode?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have used the SMC, the Cisco, and the CGN3... ALL not in bridge mode.. and NEVER had 15mins disconnects.

So, there MAY be something else at hand here.

HOW are you connecting to, well any of them? Wired or wireless? 
If wireless.. distance/range/signal quality?

Have you had a technician out, to verify the signal levels comming to the modem?
If you log into the modem, you can get most of that info yourself, and if you feel free to post it, we can tell you if its within reasonable levels.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, I had the 3825 prior to moving to the CGN3.  It was rock solid for the entire time, except for the day that the inground cable from the street to the side of the house decided to finally fail.  At that point the 3825 would restart on its own, most likely in an attempt to reconnect with the node.  The disconnect / reconnects in my case were completely random.  A call to tech support resulted in a tech visit and new cable.  Rock solid once again.  Here's an example of my power levels and signal to noise ratios from my CGN3. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

If you look at the DOCSIS WAN page on your 3825 you should see a similiar set of Downstream / Upstream tables, smaller as the 3825 is only an 8 channel down device from what I remember.  If you can copy those tables and paste them into this thread, we can have a look at the signal power levels and signal to noise ratios to see if they are at some extreme levels that are now causing you grief.  The target power level is 0 dBmV on the downstream, 37 to 40 dBmV on the upstream, and Signal to Noise Ratios on the downstream  at 37 to 40/41 dB.  Copy the tables only, and not the additional data such as IP address, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi

Been struggling with Rogers. All I wanted to do was up my Bandcap from the 95 I had with Extreme to something like 150 since we're streaming a lot more these days.
But no. The (billing) system can't do that. So I have to get a new package the Ultra Fibre 60 or whatever, and LOL, it's like a $1 less than I'm paying now with massive Bandcap and 10x faster up and down stream.
Ahh,. but I have to replace the SMC modem I got in July (rogers told be the reason I was getting slow speed was cuz my modem was old...so I changed it to the SMC in July, $50 on Kijiji...no biggie.....turns out it was a problem on the drop.
Anyway, so I get this Cisco DPC 3825 on line but before I do I check with Rogers and give them the Mac and SN..just to be sure it's not a rental.
All good they say. So I buy it. Then they can't get the modem online...and I'm having problems logging on to it. I can get tot he admin page (using an isolated Laptop disconnect from my wifi net at home) but it won't let me in.
I've reset it by pressing both the recessed button and the other button for 30 seconds and then unplugging...but...no luck.

I found a buncha passwords, from the suggested cusadmin/password to the blank and blank option. No luck.
Anyone got any ideas? Is this a firm ware problem? Or a bad unit...it seems to light up and work fine not that it's any real indication.
At the end of my rope here....just can't stand the idea of paying $13 a month plus tax to rogersr for a modem I should be able to buy for $100 outright.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry to see you having to struggle getting that 3825 online. Here’s a few questions for you:

1. Is that a modem that was used on the Rogers network before? Was Customer Service or the person who sold it to you able to tell you that.  I would believe Customer service before anyone else in a case like this.
  2. When you bought it, was it in "supposedly" good working condition? Did you actually see it fully connected and running before you bought it? Just thinking that if it wasn’t demonstrated to you in full working condition, I wouldn’t take anyone’s word that its fine. I hate to think there is an element of buyer beware here, but that is a possibility.
  3. Is it attached to your account at the moment? Was customer service able to add it to your account?
  4. If it is on your account, have you left it connected and running for any period of time?
  5. Have you connected it and powered it up and called into tech support to see if they can access the modem and determine what it needs, if anything, in order to run on the network and let you access the user interface?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey thanks for asking...

so

1. Is that a modem that was used on the Rogers network before? Was Customer Service or the person who sold it to you able to tell you that.  I would believe Customer service before anyone else in a case like this
    A) No, as it turns out, It may need to be flashed with Rogers firmware. Currently it's running a Factory Defauilt...v302.125533.xxxxxxxx but not the XXXXX.111108.ROG.BIN
  2. This is something I drilled into since posting. The person who sold it by the way says he'll refund if there's an issue....but Rogers CS says it's a good MAC and SN for their network.

3. When you bought it, was it in "supposedly" good working condition? Did you actually see it fully connected and running before you bought it? Just thinking that if it wasn’t demonstrated to you in full working condition, I wouldn’t take anyone’s word that its fine. I hate to think there is an element of buyer beware here, but that is a possibility.

A) No....didn't see it working. That's a point but again the seller is willing to refund and he's not far away.

1. Is it attached to your account at the moment? Was customer service able to add it to your account?

A) LOL. No went back to my SMC....though there was a hiccup.. aftter trying to get the CISCO running they de activated my SMC and then tried to tell me since they don't sell that modem anymore they can't support it or put it back on line which would have left me with no Internet over Christmas. Let's just say I convinced them otherwise and I am backk up.
So the short answer is they added it but couldn't see it and it never linked in.

1. If it is on your account, have you left it connected and running for any period of time?

Yes, it was left connected for an hour...no joy.

1. Have you connected it and powered it up and called into tech support to see if they can access the modem and determine what it needs, if anything, in order to run on the network and let you access the user interface?

Yes we did that and that's why they are sending a tech.

My puzzlement is that a reset should put it back to factory default...but it still won't accept my login...gonna try CISCO directly tomorrow..(if the Rogers guy fails or at least before he get here.)

And yeah, the options are bad modem or bad firmware.....hoping the Rogers guy can flash it when he shows tomorrow but getting by the password issue is the big issue right now.
  2. Thanks..
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Once customer service has added the modem to the account, it might take an overnight connection for the system to upload the Rogers firmware.   I don’t think that the onsite tech will be able to flash the modem to the latest firmware as I suspect that their equipment might not be set up to do that. If you can run two modems on a single account what you might be able to do is ask the tech for a splitter to connect it, get customer service to add it back to your account and run both of them at the same time. Your SMC will keep you going for now and that would allow you to tackle the 3825 in slow time. That would also give you the opportunity to let the modem run overnight to see if the Rogers firmware is pushed out to it. There might be more than one way for tech support to search for the modem, just speculating, so that might be a question worth asking. If tech support can find the modem maybe they can push the latest firmware out to it.  You could also try connecting it even though its not on your account, and let it run overnight.  I don't know if the Cable Modem Termination System will push out the firmware even though its not assigned to a customer, maybe another question worth asking.

Ask the seller what system this was running on. With that knowledge you might be able to find the correct default password, given the current firmware and the system it was running on.

Edit:  Checking online, it looks like the 3825 is used by a number of companies in the U.S.  I also came across a posting that pointed out that the WPS button which sits just to the right of the cable connection is also very close to the recessed reset button.  The recessed reset button is located above the WPS button and requires a sharp pen or pencil or paperclip end to push for at least 10 seconds to initiate a factory reset, after which time it reboots.  Small point, just want to be sure you ran a factory reset.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks....looks like it is a bad modem. I've returned it and got a refund.

Now shopping for another one. Found one in Mississauga...which is quite a hike but I have a friend out there I can drop in and see and have a beer...so not all bad. Bad news, won't get it done for Christmas which means my bandcap is still an issue. Sigh.

This is really frustrating. Rogers sells the Modem for $250 plus tax...which is $282.50.....which is a lot for a unit you can pick up used for between $50 and $80 tax free. Or you can rent for $12 a month plus tax for the rest of your life. Whereas in a year you'd have more than paid for a purchase of a used on.
It really doesn't add up. Plus that you're restricted to only two modems, the Cisco or the Hitron.

Meanwhile there's a sea of rental units out there which haven't been returned and the customers have skipped town or moved on.
So why not check the account of the active rental, see how long it's been in default and reset it to the "good" customer who wants to retain a relationship? It would be easy to see that the account is in default and has been for X months or whatever threshold is set and then even charge a nominal reset fee to the new customer....otherwise it really is an unsustainable waste of resources and not good green practice.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

the 69.95 for the Hybrid 60 includes the advanced wifi CGN3 modem rental

stick with the rental for the time being until you sort this out

the only modems allowed on the Hybrid 60 are the CGN2 and the CGN3 to the best of my knowledge

note:  with the Hybrid 60 you are also entitled to an extra 200GB of monthly usage if you have 3 services... internet, wireless (cellular) and cable TV