Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

@2technics wrote:

It turns out I didn't even need a wireless router. the gateway modem had a router built in. thanks anyway for the help.

Yes it does... BUT.. be forewarned.
Depending on your usage... how big of an area you want it to cover, etc..

MANY users do have issues with it.. and end up using their own router anyways.

As you said, you are a mostly new wireless user... so you can give the built in one a try.. see how you do with it.. and go from there.. always have the other option later.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@2technics wrote:

It turns out I didn't even need a wireless router. the gateway modem had a router built in. thanks anyway for the help.

Yes, make sure you hang on to that router you purchased, because as Gdkitty has stated there is a good chance you will need it in the future. I concur with Gdkitty's comment about the built-in router. It is not very good at all and the chances are that your signal will be weak or you will experience dropped wifi connections. At some point, you may decide that the only alternative (because of the equipment provided by Rogers) is to use bridge mode!

SW20
I'm Here A Lot

rogers installed a cisco dpc3825 modem in the basement plugged into the main computer, i'm on the third floor and barely get any signal, i'm using a netgear wna3100 wireless adapter that plugs into the usb port on my dell computer - how do i fix this?

Frazzled

A major issue with ALL of the D3 modems supplied by Rogers is poor range within your home. The solution of choice is to have the modem placed in bridge mode and then use your own 3rd party router. The built in router on Roger's gateway modems is garbage. With my own router installed, I get a good signal anywhere in my house. The modem is in the basement in one corner and I get a strong signal on the third floor in the opposite corner. Unfortunately, Rogers does not seem to care anymore about customer satisfaction, only about their own convenience!

SW20
I'm Here A Lot

in our last house we had a modem that was attached to the main computer and a linksys wireless g router attached to it and i had the linksys usb plugin for my room down the hall, i was getting the maximum 54 mbps and an 'excellent' signal - when we moved here rogers wanted to put in their own modem and the linksys router didn't work with it, i was getting almost no signal (5.5 mbps and 'low' strength) so we disconnected the linksys and i bought the netgear usb wireless adapter which is just as bad (no signal) - if we kept the rogers modem we'd probally have to buy a new router, something other than linksys? what if we took off the rogers modem and attached our old one? would we need to call rogers and have them change settings or come out to the house? i'm new to all this

Frazzled

I use a linksys router and have no issues with it. What you need to do is to have the gateway modem placed in bridge mode. Bridge mode will disable the built in router (which is terrible) and turn your gateway modem (modem/router combo) into a modem only. Once the built-in router is disabled, you can hook up your own router. The linksys I use is a wireless N router and perhaps that will make a difference! If you are familiar with the settings on the DPC3825, you can put it into bridge mode yourself. If not, you can call Rogers and they will do it remotely for you. Hope this helps. 

SW20
I'm Here A Lot

thanks, i'll give it a try tomorrow - i set up bridged mode by going into 192.168.0.1, administration tab, management tab, internet connection type...Working Mode: 'Router Mode' or 'Bridged only' - and i choose bridged (and a scary security warning pops up) and then 'save settings' - then i just plug in the old linksys router we had before? all the software for it is stil installed and such but do i need to edit any other settings for it?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should be all you have to do, to set it up generaly.

You MAY need to do a hard reset on the linksys, so it can fully re-register and get the info from the modem properly, so you would then have to re-set up the wireless security, etc on the linksys... but thats worse case scenario.

When the gateway is in bridged mode.. it is essentialy acting as a modem only.. so SHOULD work like the stand alone modems, generally.

Now, your setup at the new house, is a little different than your old... being that far away.. you wont likely, even with the other router, get a GREAT signal upstairs, but you should still get a much better signal, than on the gateway by itself.
(only way to really get better, would be to move your ROUTER, etc to a more central location in the house)

SW20
I'm Here A Lot

tried it but it didn't work, the signal was even weaker - the back of the main computer is such a mess of cords and there is also a vonage device attached so i may have got the wires plugged in differently than it was in our other house - i just put it back the way it was yesterday, low signal is better than no signal though it literally takes 3 hours to do what i used to do in 20 minutes - i can upload/download big pieces of stuff from the main computer using a usb clip to carry the info to/from my computer but it's stupid that i can't use the internet in my own bedroom - i won't even mention that rogers couldn't set up the tv in my bedroom either - this is like living in 1993 not 2013

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Again, from your descriptions, the house layout is VERY different than before.  Two rooms over, vs a few floors up, can be VERY different in signal strength (specialy with ibeams, etc, more metal inbetween).  Wireless signals only go so far.

Using potentialy a NEWER 3rd party router, which may have stronger signal/antennas, might help.
The only other option, would be to move the locations of the rogers gateway, or to leave the gateway, and run a network cable up and have the wireless router on a higher floor.

Why were they not able to put the TV in your bedroom?
Is there an exisiting outlet there? If not, that is the issue.  Rogers is not actualy in charge of any cabling in your house.  Its up to the builder, or you to get it done 3rd party (they cant be liable for ruining walls, etc to run cables for you).

If the cabling is there.. and they can get a good enough signal from it, they shoudl be able to do TV there just fine otherwise.