Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

I just installed the Cisco DPC3825 Gateway and called Rogers to put it in Bridge mode.  Then I wired it to my Airport Extreme, and used the Extreme as the router.  After a day of working fine, my wifi signal is now showing as full, but I cannot connect to anything in my house.  If I use the Airport Utility tool, it will switch between showing a full connecition, and indicating that "an Airport Extreme used to be connected to the network, please ensure it is plugged in and connected." 

Where do I go from here?  I only upgraded to the DPC3825 to increase the range and maybe a little speed, but now it is just unreliable.

thx community!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are using a MAC to connect to the airport?

I am no expert on macs myself.. but that does almost sound like an airport problem.  (or mac)

"an Airport Extreme used to be connected to the network, please ensure it is plugged in and connected."

That sounds like to me, that they can not see each other anymore.  Even if the cisco was having issues, that it wasnt talking to the airport, therefore no internet, etc... if you have the wifi connection, that it should still be able to talk to the airport not a problem.

IE:  The other day, we kept getting power outages at my place.. kept reseting the modem downstairs.  The router is actualy upstairs with my roger digital box, on a UPS (I really need a ups for the modem too :P).  When the power went out, the internet signal would drop.. but my wireless is still on.. i could still browse to the routers IP to check settings, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the response Gdkitty....I guess why I thought it was a Cisco issue, is because I have never had that issue prior to switching the modems from the older Scientific Atlantic to the Cisco DPC3825 Gateway.  I have read that some people were resetting their modems on a daily basis to reconnect the network which is crazy!  I wonder if I am double NATing or need to check on/off some options with the configuration of the Cisco gateway?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As long as the gateway is still in Bridged mode, there shouldn't be double nat or anything assuming its that way. Could try to log I to the gateway directly by pluging into it and checking.

Only other thing I can think is to make sure your ip for the gateway and your airport art different and not the same (193.168.0.1, etc)

I've Been Around

Does anyone know of a way to boost the wifi range on the Cisco DCP3825 gateway ? I can be in the same room as the modem and be 20 feet away and will notice signal drop.I already know it's the modem because I was using a different rogers modem prior to this one and the signal range was great up to 50 ft. but the problem with that modem was the speed was to slow.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Eddy

We're you using your own router before with the old modem?

Stand alone routers seem to have a much larger range and much better wireless than the Cisco. This is why many switch it to bridged mode and use their own.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

To back up what Gdkitty has stated, the D3 gateway modems supplied by Rogers are well noted for their poor wireless range and their dropped connections. Since you had no problems before eddy, I would have your Cisco put into bridge mode (disables the router) which then allows you to hook up your own router. BTW - the older D2 modems are capable of download speeds of up to 38 Mbps which would be good enough for all Internet plans except Ultimate. It is not the modem that is not capable of the higher speeds. It is Rogers who refuses to provide a higher speed than 10 Mbps if you still have a D2 modem!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

recommend you map your network drive There is software for this on your install disk The network drive is there but the computer can not acces it asd it does not know what the drive letter is

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ryeo wrote:

recommend you map your network drive There is software for this on your install disk The network drive is there but the computer can not acces it asd it does not know what the drive letter is

Not sure what this has to do with the problem experienced by eddyboy99. He is experiencing a dropped connection (and likely poor wireless range with the Rogers gateway). This means he is connecting but the connection is not lasting which has nothing to do at all with the computer not knowing what the drive letter is. It has everything to do with the Rogers modem!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi folks,

I had a Rogers tech install the 3825 for me this past weekend after moving into a new place.

I checked my connection with various 11n adapters and only seem to be maxing out at 140MBs. I then logged in to the web interface and under wireless setup (after setting to manual), can only see b/g mixed under mode and no "n" option.

Transmission is set to auto - do I need to set it to 270 for N to kick in or is this a bigger problem that requires a call to Rogers?

Thanks!