Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Speedboost does not need to be turned on - it is automatic. It really is nothing special however, as Rogers would have you believe. It provides a temporary burst of speed only for the first 10 MB of a download, so if you you are downloading something large, it is not much help at all. Of course, as many have pointed out, it can also fool a speedtest into suggesting that you have a higher speed than you really do! 

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speedboostonsb

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'll go out on a limb here and ask why no one suggests that the DMZ feature on the Cisco or SMC gateways be used rather than setting the device to bridge mode when the desire is to use your own router.

Turn off wireless on the Rogers gateway, turn on the DMZ. The default DMZ address will typically be 192.168.x.2.

Your router should be set to a static connection on the WAN side. IP address should be set to  192.168.x.2 and the gateway to 192.168.x.2. If don't like the Rogers DNS addresses use 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry 192.168.x.1 for the gateway address.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no need really to even use bridge mode.

Set up your Cisco and make sure its working.  Turn off the built in wireless.  Change no other settings (unless you need to set up forwarding, etc).

Cable out from your cisco, to your OWN router... but instead of plugging into the WAN port on your router, plug just into one of the regular network ports.

On your own router.. turn OFF DHCP,  and set like stated above.. your IP for that router to 192.168.0.2, with its gateway as 192.168.0.1.  Set your wireless settings as you wish..  and voila! it works!

I would HIGHLY sugest against putting your own router in the DMZ..  ANYTHING you state as being in the DMZ, is outside your built in firewall in the cisco... yes while not the be all end all of firewalls, its still an extra layer of security.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway; Does it use Cisco IOS?

@skinorth wrote:

@sixsteps:

So I can conclude only that presently the USB port on the DPC3825 gateway will not be very useful with the current web-based management interface, as its functionality is not accessible through that interface.  For some of the techies around, it might be interesting though, to get into the Cisco IOS on the DPC3825, if only they could.........

skinorth

>>>

The USB port provides you with 5Volt power!  / Chragring , best use I pfound for it, Plug in you magic jack plus connect the cat 5 from the MJ to the router port and voila phone service at 10$ a year.

Thanks Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Nambi:

thanks for the suggestion!  That at least is one useful aspect of the DPC3825 USB port.

Actually since my posting I have found out that the DPC3825 isn't even made by Cisco.  I believe it is an Atlanta Research product marketed by Cisco.  So the odds of it running IOS are pretty minimal.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta a couple of years ago.

And Cisco has switched to using QNX in its routers (yes, the company that RIM bought and uses QNX for Playbook).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

At Rogers tech support suggestion today I exchanged my 2-year-old SMC router for the Cisco DPC 3825. It came with a USB Flash Drive with Cisco's Easy Connect software for its installation and a card which gave instructions for Getting Started - either with the software or, alternatively, by going to 192.168.0.1 and logging in using cusadmin/password, if you are an "Advanced" user.

I set it up manually (having done this with many routers previously) and got going pretty well immediately. Only issue was that I wanted to change the default SSID and finally figured out I needed to change the Wireless Configuration setting to Manual and then you have the opportunity to change the SSID. Otherwise it just works with iPad, MacBook, Playbook, BlackBerry and TelyHD Skype for TV webcam attached via WiFi.

Also the Administration screen on the  router portal provides the Option to change between Router and Bridge mode.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I moved from Lite to Express and told to get the new device. I was not happy that the monthly rent was moving from $4 to $7.

I plugged in the device and decided to use it as my wireless router as well.

It worked OK for the short time I used it except for the this problem:

I have a networked music system that has a networked attached storage unit (NAS) for the music files and a network attached music player. Both link to the network with Ethernet connections and I use Powerline devices (use your home electrical system to extend your wired network).

Our desktop machine could 'see' the music player but not the NAS. My wireless laptop could 'see' neither. Thus I was not able to play my music on my main system.

When I changed the DPC3825 to a bridge and reconnected my previous router (a real Cisco), everything was fine again.

And after reading the posts here, I am more unhappy than ever to pay an extra $3/month. Rogers should have an option for a less expensive device.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I myself have had NO problem with the Cisco and its basic routing.

I DO NOT have it on bridge mode... the cisco is doing the dhcp and port forwarding, etc.. and my sepearte wireless router is ONLY doing the wireless connections.

I have a LG Smart TV, Onkyo network surround sound, and a NAS (as well as a PC based server), and everything is able to see everything just fine through the routing that the cisco does.

Though, i do have ALL my devices like that, set up as STATIC IP's.. not sure if you do or not Larman27.