Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

This is the worse modem I ever had. The connections are dropping every 30 min. I spent hours with Rogers technical support on the phone oo waiting for technician to come to my house. Rogers has a stupid policy. They won't make you appoitment if you aren't home even though problem is on the street but not at your home. Going back to modem. I can't get longer than 30 min without modem restart. It's my second modem. I have mixed wired and wireless conections. Rogers sugested that this is my computer which is reseting modem constantly. I have couple laptops and couple PC at home... I was doing a tes by connecting only one of them to the modem. No change, keeps dropping internet connections. I was looking up the internet and found that Shaw customers who have the same modem have the same problem. Someone suggested to turn off SPI firewall. I did this but no change. Rgers support is telling me now after I chenged second modem that problem is on the street. One of the technicians gave me a phone to his supervisor to complain to him directly. This guy is telling me that street is clear, it's my network inside the house. I'm even afraid that during writing this post I will get disconnected. I don't know anymore what to do. I hate this modem. I never had any problems until I upgraded my internet to the have 100GB download... 60 wasn't enough... since than I'm screwed!!!!

I'm Here A Lot

@sixsteps wrote:

Yesterday, Sept 1, I just had a technician upgrade my old Motorola Surfboard modem to this Cicsco DPC3825. I selected the in-house installation option, when I had the HiSpeed Internet upgraded to the "Extreme" package, from the previous "Express".

So far, it's been great for speeds. speed test

HOWEVER.....

My wireless connection has been dropping, after some time of continous use.

(I currently run 3 macs in the house, a mix of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 & Lion 10.7.1, and a Windows XP w/Wireless G).

I first thought it was a Key Renewal issue:

Wireless > Wireless Security.  The default is 3600 seconds.  I've changed that to a lenghthy 43200 sec = 12 Hours.

It seemed to help at first, fewer wifi connection drops.

BUT then PROBLEM: my sister wakes me up this morning complaining of Wifi troubles on her MacBook Pro. Internet still works via wired connection on iMac. I check my MacBook Pro: connection timed out, cannot connect to my Wifi network, even though it just worked before bed (WPA2 Personal key all setup properly on all machines).

I think it could be an issue with the default Wifi Protected Setup.

Wireless > Basic Settings. "Wireless Configuration"

I have since de-selected Wifi Protected Setup, and went Manual instead. I already had setup my own SSID & WPA2 key, so it was already using these Wireless Security settings. But I suspect this "Wifi Protected Setup" default is causing the wifi connection drops & time outs when trying to reconnect; this new WPS may be causing more trouble than hlep!

Hope this helps folks. I'll keep y'all updated if anything changes.

I am having the same problem since 2 months, even got my modem changed. Also I have been calling rogers twice a week but nothing happened.

Since I got my modem replaces now that are saying there is nothing wrong with our modem, it's because of you the wireless disconnect and slows down.

I even tried giving all my devices a static IP, which helped alot, now the wireless stops less often. Still the wireless stops working for all the devices and the speed is less even though I have 32Mbps plan.

Now I am going to buy Linksys E3200 router and use DPC3825 as a bridge.

If someone know how to solve the wireless slow down and disconnection then please let me know.

I'm Here A Lot

@miro wrote:

This is the worse modem I ever had. The connections are dropping every 30 min. I spent hours with Rogers technical support on the phone oo waiting for technician to come to my house. Rogers has a stupid policy. They won't make you appoitment if you aren't home even though problem is on the street but not at your home. Going back to modem. I can't get longer than 30 min without modem restart. It's my second modem. I have mixed wired and wireless conections. Rogers sugested that this is my computer which is reseting modem constantly. I have couple laptops and couple PC at home... I was doing a tes by connecting only one of them to the modem. No change, keeps dropping internet connections. I was looking up the internet and found that Shaw customers who have the same modem have the same problem. Someone suggested to turn off SPI firewall. I did this but no change. Rgers support is telling me now after I chenged second modem that problem is on the street. One of the technicians gave me a phone to his supervisor to complain to him directly. This guy is telling me that street is clear, it's my network inside the house. I'm even afraid that during writing this post I will get disconnected. I don't know anymore what to do. I hate this modem. I never had any problems until I upgraded my internet to the have 100GB download... 60 wasn't enough... since than I'm screwed!!!!

Exactly the same as my case. Once you get it replaced they will start saying there is problem in your home network or you are creating too many connections.

I'm Here A Lot

SMC is a way better than DPC3825

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers perform a remote firmware upgrade couple days ago on my DPC3825, after which I lost the Parental Control feature. None of the User Setup, Day/Time restrictions or domain filtering tabs appear anymore in Access Restrictions section. Also now Wireless comes on after a reboot each time regardless of the Wireless setting being set to Disabled.

The Rogers customer service rep James who I had a online chat with was absolutely useless and did not show any signs of listening about the problem. I asked him 2 things: 1) if he understands that by quietly removing the parental control feature Rogers opened all the bad web sites that I had configured to protect my family and did not care to inform me about this change, and 2) I asked to log my call and get someone to work with me on this. I have not received any indication from James he cared about any of the two. Instead he told me to use the online parental control through Rogers web site, which I did not want to do because it requires installation of the agent on each PC and slows them down, as well as complicates the management.

So thank you Rogers for removing the parental control from the DPC3825 and planting a bug with the wireless.  A good addition to the non-working NNTP/system time. No wonder why you want to force everyone to use this awful product. Easy way to screw the unsuspecting users. Wondering what other nice things have been planted in my modem that I have not discovered yet. And I even won't go into the customer service thing.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bugsy,

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks

RogersDarrell

I've Been Here Awhile

I finally bridged the modem and using my old router. Since then no single disconnection. I'm just wondering why I have to pay full (high) price for device which I use only half. THANKS ROGERS!!!!!

I'm Here A Lot

You have to call Rogers technical and have them put the Cisco DPC3825 N Gateway into bridge mode.

I have the DPC3825 and it works great with my LInksys E1200 Router - so far no problems!

I've Been Around

I too have the same issue. Is there a work around for this? I had schedules set up so my kids couldnt access the net passed 10:00 now I am unable to do so. This was allowing me to control the cap better. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I just got my Cisco3825 two days ago.  Brought it home, and unhooked my Surfboard, plugged it in, etc.  I set it up and everything seemed good (speed was great, over 26Mbps with speedtest.net).  Then I took my Dlink wireless router, set it to 192.168.0.2, plugged it into a wired connection (not in the WAN port) and set the wireless to have the same name (SSID) and passkey. Amazinginly, it worked great.  I have great Wifi coverage all over the house, and I haven't noticed any drops at all.  I don't use the wireless for any big transfers - mostly one laptop, smartphones, tablets, etc.  The other machines (WD Hub, Xbox, several computers) are all on wired. 

So far I'm happy with it.  I'll have to test out the wireless speeds, but so far it seems good. Actually, just tested and wireless sustains about 85-90% of the wired internet speeds (which is reasonable). Both have full upload speed. Haven't seen any drops so far... 

If I do see some issues with the Wifi, I'll flip it to bridge mode and use my D-link.