Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

our old house was in nevada where it's literally wood boards, chicken wire and paper maiche so the walls are very thin, here in waterloo it's probally thick walls because of the winters - on the days it rains here i can get a useable signal but sunny days i can't use the internet much at all - weird

netgear suggested i get a wireless range extender (50$) to help get the signal from the basement to the 3rd floor, i think they plug into a wall outlet on the main floor? if i can find the money it's worth a try and i can return it if it doesn't work

there are no tv cables on the top floor so the cable guy said we could either run a bunch of wires through the house or go from the outside which would be expensive - the digital tv cable is another problem, they gave us a used box that didn't work so we had to replace it, but still 90% of the time we go to watch tv there is no signal, so it's useless and we have to call yet another technician (#3) to come over and get it fixed - we've had it for 2 weeks and have watched maybe 3 hours but of course we'll be billed for those 2 weeks of tv 'service'

we didn't want to go with rogers when we moved here but they seem to have a monopoly

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When they FIRST came and set it up the first time.. they SHOULD have checked all the signal strengths to start.. to make sure it was ok.
Another case of LAZY technicians (i am SOOO glad i know most of the guys in my area are decent)

But yeah.. if there are NO wires to your upstairs from the builders?  OTher than running them through the hosue, etc.. rogers cant do much.  In the end, that is not their responsibility 😞
You can get a 3rd party company to do it, etc.. but again could be expensive.
ONE possibility... if the basement is not fully finished, etc... i have done this with networking cable before...is use the AIR DUCTS.  Drop a cable down from that room, to the basement, pop it out of the vent there, then over to the electrical box (or where the signal comes in).

As for the range extender... its worth a SHOT. I have never had much luck with them.. they always seemed flakey.. But like you said return it if it doesnt work.
Another alternative, would be, again if you do the drop through the air vents.. drop a long network cable down there, to the rogers gateway.  Even if you dont want to 'wire' in there.. get a CHEAP wireless router, and set it up, up there as its own access point (so NOT doing the bridged mode).

One last thought.. is this a HOUSE, or is it like a townhouse?  One last thing that i thought of, might be interfearance, if there are potentialy ALOT of nearby other wireless signals.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well rogers sells protection plus so if you are on rogers you can buy that. $ $ $ $

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have a DPC3825 where I work, it broadcasts on wifi but nothing (phones, pads, laptops, printers) are able to connect to it. I have reset to factory settings, tried every speed, reset the password, and even disabled security on it and still no connection.

Before I carry this out to the street to give it a mobile stress test does anyone have any ideas?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The DPC3825 is a decent modem but has lousy wifi. Place it in bridged mode and buy yourself a good quality router
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have had the same problem. It has to do with ventilation. move the router to a more open area and it will resolve the issue.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have the same issue . after every 10 15 mins connection breaks . I did talk to rogers technical department but they were not able to fix it . So I disconnected my services and switching to some other provider .

This is the only solution

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

using the Cisco DPC3825 Gateway bridged to my apple airport express didn't help. still get timeouts and network errors

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I recently "upgraded" from an ancient something or other modem to the Rogers Cisco DPC3825 Gateway.  The hardware upgrade was requierd in order to get the improved upload and download speeds.

The DPC3825 is in Gateway mode.  My laptop is wired direct to the DPC3825.  My internet connection briefly drops every 10 - 15 minutes.  The drop is generally less than 30 seconds, but it's enough to interrupt VPN, and streaming.  I called Rogers.  They replaced the router/modem with the same make and model, and the issue still persists.

I never had this issue with my old modem and I'm having this issue while wired (and wifi) so, to me, it seems clear that it's an issue with the DPC3825.

I could put my old router back into service and switch the DPC3825 to bridged mode.  I haven't tried this yet, and I really don't want to because my old router is slow, plus I really shouldn't have to since the DPC3825 should be able to do the job.

Any solutions out there, or is my next step to switch ISP?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It would be worth a try, to put it in bridged, but it may not solve all the issues.
Generally, that device is fairly steady, at least in bridged mode..

Did you just pick up a modem and set up yourself? or did a tech come out, etc?
Did they do any signal checks, etc while there?

The older modem, was very basic, signal channel, single frequency.

The newer ones, are multi channel, deal with more freqencies, and therefore are MUCH more suseptible to poor signals, etc

Might be worth a tech out, to check everything.

That would be something to be aware if you did/do end up switching companies.. if you did say switch to one which uses the same feeds (cable lines, etc), you could run into the same issue.